Modifying a Sata Connector for my AIO Pump.

Sh3ld0r

I recently bought a Corsair h150i Pro XT and I find the pump to be just a tiny bit too audible. As the pump gets its power thru a Sata power header i was wondering if I could solder a resistor into the voltage leads of a SATA connector, to lower the RPM. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work, but if you guys got any advice, thanks in advance!

1 minute ago, Sh3ld0r said:

I recently bought a Corsair h150i Pro XT and I find the pump to be just a tiny bit too audible. As the pump gets its power thru a Sata power header i was wondering if I could solder a resistor into the voltage leads of a SATA connector, to lower the RPM. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work, but if you guys got any advice, thanks in advance!

you can change the pump speed in Icue. well a little bit anyway ways.

Do not change the rate at which the pump motor spins without it being connected to a temperature sensor. Your pump needs to pump a certain amount of liquid to cool the cpu. You should be adjusting its speed if it doesn't have the ability to increase the flowrate when it needs it

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

Do not change the rate at which the pump motor spins without it being connected to a temperature sensor. Your pump needs to pump a certain amount of liquid to cool the cpu. You should be adjusting its speed if it doesn't have the ability to increase the flowrate when it needs it

I cool an r5 3600 with a 360 aio. I know when my cpu overheats, and it doesm't. The minimum speed in ICUE is 1950RPM wich is quite excessive. 😄

(max synthetic stress temps are around 62c with the fans at min. RPM)

4 minutes ago, Sh3ld0r said:

I cool an r5 3600 with a 360 aio. I know when my cpu overheats, and it doesm't. The minimum speed in ICUE is 1950RPM wich is quite excessive. 😄

(max synthetic stress temps are around 62c with the fans at min. RPM)

Are you planning on upgrading? Because that might just be the most overkill cooler for that cpu (besides custom loops) possible

8 minutes ago, Hyrogenes said:

Are you planning on upgrading? Because that might just be the most overkill cooler for that cpu (besides custom loops) possible

Well, to be frank. I like the looks. 😂

Just now, Sh3ld0r said:

Well, to be frank. I like the looks. 😂

Hey. To each his own. If you have the cash and like the looks, get whatever you want. If it makes you happy its not my place to judge

Running an electric motor at a lower or higher voltage than its rated for will cause the motor to run hotter so im not going to ever recommend running a pump below its correct spec. 

On 3/5/2021 at 7:11 PM, emosun said:

Running an electric motor at a lower or higher voltage than its rated for will cause the motor to run hotter so im not going to ever recommend running a pump below its correct spec. 

A DC fan on lower speeds is an el motor on lower volts.. 

8 hours ago, NorKris said:

A DC fan on lower speeds is an el motor on lower volts.. 

A dc fan is rated to run at any voltage between 0 and 12v so that would be within its rating.

Electric motors overheating due to too much or too little voltage is a very well documented occurrence that is very searchable. I don't think i'm going to really ever change my stance on that without significant documentation showing that the phenomenon can no longer occur.

3 hours ago, emosun said:

A dc fan is rated to run at any voltage between 0 and 12v so that would be within its rating.

Electric motors overheating due to too much or too little voltage is a very well documented occurrence that is very searchable. I don't think i'm going to really ever change my stance on that without significant documentation showing that the phenomenon can no longer occur.

Every fan and pump in a pc is a Direct Current unit(ELmotor).

Please find documentation or prove that any ELmotor in a pc overheat at lower volts than 12.