A board for benchmarks

Lord Szechenyi

basically each thread is a specific program, and people put their results in a (more or less) listed way like this:

• Specs (processor gpu etc.)
  • Settings config (resolution + settings used in game, if it's custom, then specify in detail)
  • Fps (and also which parts of the game are less/more demanding (example: if the majority of the game is in rooms, but there's a few parts where you have open world like maps, there's a big difference in fps)

The Game in question should be the thread, like if someone wants results for "hitman 3" then post a thread that has his benchmark results and everybody else who wants to contribute to that particular game posts in that thread.

(which means people should avoid posting duplicate threads)

That's actually a great idea, I shall second this request!

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

There are already pins for these things at the top of their respective sections.

image.png.e520a48d0835eb5aa3e4499639bb303a.png

image.png.acbc9adc248fc34c756ace522888530d.png

Doesn't seem like enough to justify a whole section.

1 minute ago, Den-Fi said:

There are already pins for these things at the top of their respective sections.

image.png.e520a48d0835eb5aa3e4499639bb303a.png

image.png.acbc9adc248fc34c756ace522888530d.png

Doesn't seem like enough to justify a whole section.

none of these seem to be (specific) games

2 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

none of these seem to be (specific) games

Whoops, forgot to finish my thought.

The game benchmark threads could be pinned to the PC gaming section in the same way the synthetics are pinned to their sections.

6 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

The game benchmark threads could be pinned to the PC gaming section in the same way the synthetics are pinned to their sections.

i get that, but if i want to find a specific game, and if like 10 people want to add to that specific game, then it can get really complicated.

(imagine the number of people posting cyberpunk 2077 benchmark when i'm only searching for a more obscure game that maybe 3 people added to)

6 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

i get that, but if i want to find a specific game, and if like 10 people want to add to that specific game, then it can get really complicated.

(imagine the number of people posting cyberpunk 2077 benchmark when i'm only searching for a more obscure game that maybe 3 people added to)

I meant per-game. It probably wouldn't be many. Esp since in the 8 years this forum existed it hasn't become a thing.

Just now, Den-Fi said:

I meant per-game. It probably wouldn't be many. Esp since in the 8 years this forum existed it hasn't become a thing.

i still think it would help a ton, especially for those without gpu (aka integrated graphics)

that would also help.

maybe i shouldn't listen to you, after all

image.png.9037fa66fb301fe3b57b795726d41e3e.png

in theory having individual games and a master thread to link to each thread sounds like a good idea

but in practice idk how many people would contribute to it

and most games scale the same across GPUs with other games, so you can somewhat derive the performance from that

not to mention user powered benchmarks are very inconsistent

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

not to mention user powered benchmarks are very inconsistent

how exactly?

Well, good idea yeah, but there are so few benchmarks, ingame benchmarks often aren't identical.

I edit my posts more often than not

Just now, Lord Szechenyi said:

how exactly?

what background apps are you running? what version driver and windows are you on?

what's your methodology for testing? etc etc

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Well, good idea yeah, but there are so few benchmarks, ingame banchmarks often aren't identical.

in that case people should also specify how they took the benchmark

(steam IG overlay, fraps, a game's own benchmark etc.)

48 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

This will be hard no from moderation side. There could be a thread with links to other threads. But we aim to have only the most essential threads pinned. There are already some subforums with 5+ pinned threads (Folding with 10, OT with 5+1, GPUs with 6). Problem with having too many pinned thread is that for those who actually read subforums, its just excessive scrolling every time.

The previous thread for benchmarking subforum incl. my thoughts. They haven't changed:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

This will be hard no from moderation side. There could be a thread with links to other threads. But we aim to have only the most essential threads pinned. There are already some subforums with 5+ pinned threads (Folding with 10, OT with 5+1, GPUs with 6). Problem with having too many pinned thread is that for those who actually read subforums, its just excessive scrolling every time.

The previous thread for benchmarking subforum incl. my thoughts. They haven't changed:

so after seeing that thread, people disregard GAMES.

i understand all the cinebench and other benchmarking tools, but i want to see threads dedicated to GAME benchmarks

1 minute ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

so after seeing that thread, people disregard GAMES.

i understand all the cinebench and other benchmarking tools, but i want to see threads dedicated to GAME benchmarks

So make one? Its not that hard. There's already thread for Steam VR benchmark results somewhere in the PC Gaming subforum. You are always free to make threads, and if there are more than one for specific game, then it would make sense to link them on from one thread. But considering there are constantly more and more games, and even games with benchmarking feature, we are not going to have pinned thread for each.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I really don't get the complaint from the moderators about the extra board just wasting away and staying empty and just another fragmentation of the forum itself. A forum this busy, with this many "members" would have no problem keeping a sub forum like "benchmarking sub forum" active and full of life. We do it at TPU with half the traffic or less. Just saying you close it down before you even try it is not really an effective way to "grow" the forum as a whole.

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

45 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

I really don't get the complaint from the moderators about the extra board just wasting away and staying empty and just another fragmentation of the forum itself. A forum this busy, with this many "members" would have no problem keeping a sub forum like "benchmarking sub forum" active and full of life. We do it at TPU with half the traffic or less. Just saying you close it down before you even try it is not really an effective way to "grow" the forum as a whole.

You are just misunderstanding this forum in it's entirety. 

It's not an OC forum. It is not based around overclocking and benchmarking. And that's why you only see scattered chat about it.

For most people that visit this super wonderful place, an overclock is set XMP and turn on PBO. And then everyone with similar rigs will have similar results as the desire here for most people is to game and learn about ALL the other tech that's out there, not just a Cpu and Gpu overclock and arbitrary score.

That said, you will never get the moderation to budge on this topic. There will not be a dedicated benching forum section.

LTT doesn't even participate at HWBot. Let's just put it that way. Some random user made an account which, By the way, my points alone are more than the entire team collection. That should show just how important Overclocking and Benchmarking is to this community. 

But I fully understand your thought. I often forget I'm not in an overclocking forums of one type or another. Of which I mostly have visited in the past and is now a dead hobby.

14 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

how exactly?

just to add to moonzy, ambient room temperature, card model, overclocking/downvolting, operating system, operating system modifications, power supply, motherboard VRM's, etc etc. Like for instance I'm getting an extra 300-400 cinebench points with my 3600 and b550 auros pro, then on my b450-f

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

You are just misunderstanding this forum in it's entirety. 

Definitely not misunderstanding the forum. But we could go in circles all day.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

not an OC forum. It is not based around overclocking and benchmarking. And that's why you only see scattered chat about it.

Overclocking is a function or "aspect" of the umbrella term known as personal computing not an "indistinct" foreign member. Tree branch if you will. Anyway that's just my thought I don't intend to cause any strife here, just thought I would add my 2 cents since I was linked to this thread from the old one so i give my take on the situation. In other words, you NEED computers and need to be knowledgeable in computer technology before you can overclock. You chose not to overclock that's your loss not mine.

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

7 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

You chose not to overclock that's your loss not mine.

Cool cool. 

But every one's processor comes overclocked from the box.

AMD with SenseMi algorithm typically can boost a chip to it's max without user intervention. 

Intel with it's high frequency boost durations, also self overclocking generally to the max.

Most of these people are overclocking and don't even know it sadly. Just because you did it manually, doesn't always mean a performance gain.

#1 posted thread at LTT...... "Just built a PC and I get a black screen"

They don't even know where to start a diag for first post failures let alone overclock something. 😛 

20 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

So make one? Its not that hard. There's already thread for Steam VR benchmark results somewhere in the PC Gaming subforum. You are always free to make threads, and if there are more than one for specific game, then it would make sense to link them on from one thread. But considering there are constantly more and more games, and even games with benchmarking feature, we are not going to have pinned thread for each.

i obviously meant that a subforum for benchmark would work because it would be mostly game oriented rather than benchmark tool.

10 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It's not an OC forum. It is not based around overclocking and benchmarking. And that's why you only see scattered chat about it.

OCers are a minority, so benchmarks would (overall) be just stock speeds, so most people can find useful benchmark info if we would do such a subforum

9 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

just to add to moonzy, ambient room temperature, card model, overclocking/downvolting, operating system, operating system modifications, power supply, motherboard VRM's, etc etc. Like for instance I'm getting an extra 300-400 cinebench points with my 3600 and b550 auros pro, then on my b450-f

20 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Just now, Lord Szechenyi said:

OCers are a minority, so benchmarks would (overall) be just stock speeds, so most people can find useful benchmark info if we would do such a subforum

Benchmarks are not relative to actual daily performance. 

Online gaming performance may vastly differ from a benchmark.

Now don't get me wrong. I like the idea. But after much reading here, unless the data is super useful, it seldom will get a sticky, let alone an entire section dedicated. The benchmarking scores with arbitrary numbers is actually just a show and tell thing. You have a status update or start a thread for that.  

For example, my post codes thread did not get a Pin of it's own. It was injected into @colonel_mortis 's thread "Read before asking for help" and even that forum thread does not get read by most users. 

I tagged the Colonel because he can probably explain this much better than myself. The forum has enough sections in my opinion. No need to clutter it more.