A board for benchmarks

Lord Szechenyi
22 hours ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

so after seeing that thread, people disregard GAMES.

i understand all the cinebench and other benchmarking tools, but i want to see threads dedicated to GAME benchmarks

yes, but those same things affect your game performance to, I don't pay much attention to FPS but I can guarantee you my 5700xt overclock and my r5 3600 overclock make a 20-30 fps difference from stock. And the only reason I'm able to hold that overclock is because I have a decent cpu cooler and  a motherboard with good VRMs. Same thing with my GPU the only reason I'm able to hold that overclock is because I ponied up the extra money for a quality triple fan card. 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

In my opinion, fixation on benchmark scores rather than on the actual quality of the experience is not something to be encouraged...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

15 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

In my opinion, fixation on benchmark scores rather than on the actual quality of the experience is not something to be encouraged...

what?

On 3/6/2021 at 4:26 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

Cool cool. 

But every one's processor comes overclocked from the box.

. 😛 

Thats my point exactly. These members need a challenge to work with in order to improve their competency and knowledge of computers. And overclocking is surely an excellent choice for learning the ins and outs of your machine and how it ticks.

No better way for training than throwing them it the mix with other people who have much more experience in overclocking. While modern CPUs are easy to OC, there are still plenty of fine tuning that goes on and if you are competing against like processors, you will hopefully learn how to get that last 5% out of your own personal chip. 

In essence, we would be recruiting for talent to grow the "sport". And we would do that from a benchmarking sub forum. It's a win win situation. The forum grows and the overclocking community grows. These are all good things!

I mean whats the worst thing that can happen?

On 3/6/2021 at 11:35 PM, pythonmegapixel said:

Generally speaking, the higher your benchmark score, the more effort you have to put in.  There is no fixation here, just a leaderboard to chart progress. It's simply one of many data points we use. Also, you must have a way to score and sort any so called "competition"

On 3/6/2021 at 5:07 PM, Lord Szechenyi said:

OCers are a minority, so benchmarks would (overall) be just stock speeds, so most people can find useful benchmark info if we would do such a subforum

That's great. Because we can recruit for talent right here to grow the dwindling number of overclockers. 

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

Thing is, this is not an OC'ers site nor was it ever really meant to be. 

The format here is about showcasing the newest stuff, doing reviews while expressing opinions about it and so on.

Also realize (Remember) a good deal of the members here aren't using PC's, they are on tablets and phones too and while you could OC those as well, I don't see it going much of anywhere that way.

There is a reason why the numbers of OCer's is dwindling and it's due to several things, all of which we have no direct control over. Changes in tech such as what once took a large, bulky PC to do the things a small portable tablet/phone can do now is part of that change.

For gaming, PC's still rule but even that is slowly changing too and not quite towards the OC'ing side of it.

Chips that aren't as "OC-Friendly" being part of it, that being a result in the changes of the tech itself as in how chips are designed and made period.

Boards lacking options to tweak are becoming more common, with those that do being more expensive as in MORE expensive vs the more base models - This trend is only increasing as time goes. Used to be a common board had some features you could tweak, now it's more common for one not to have alot of tweakable options.

Also factor in the actual expense of killing hardware as you go, many here either don't have the disposable income to replace dead stuff or afford period all it would take to be competitive.

Not to mention all the XOC cooling gear and accessories, plus the LN2 itself that's required to chase top scores around.

It's no longer about how far can you go period, it's how far can you go with x amount of voltage/wattage ='ing efficiency.

In short, the demographic of the ones that come here is more or less along these lines as in towards the majority by a huge percentage.

You would be lucky to find 0.001 percent of the total number of members here really interested in OC'ing in the way we do it and that's clearly NOT enough to even justify a separate, stand alone OC'ing section of the forum.
If they ever did it I would be in there helping of course but since it ain't happening, I don't have to worry about all that and doesn't make sense to....
At least in here.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

Generally speaking, the higher your benchmark score, the more effort you have to put in. 

Generally speaking, the only thing you have to put more in is usually money. Sure, when the playing field is equal, effort does come into play, but at least in a "one board ranks all" situation, the more expensive higher-end CPUs will dominate

So, since my point seems to have been lost, lets try again.

What @Lord Szechenyi seems to be asking is separated board with topics per software/game. This for me sounds like they are looking for community maintained database. The main problem is that maintaining any kind of database required active members to do it. Be it advicing/helping with presenting results to make sure results can be compared, or posting new topics for new games.

The main issue is that the way new subforums are decided on is AFTER there already is multiple active threads in single subforum (the splits we've had recently) or there are significant amounts of new and active threads across multiple subforums. At the moment only VR has any merits for these requirements.

So, start posting those threads and try to get community activated in posting results. Thats the only way this will move forward. I don't see any point of making empty subforum which may or may not get activity.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Be it advicing/helping with presenting results

Something I had not thought of, but oyu point in the right direction, is people would start posting "my game isn't performing like yours" posts, and the thread would turn into another troubleshooting forum, of which LTT already has.

So I can see your POV on this.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Something I had not thought of, but oyu point in the right direction, is people would start posting "my game isn't performing like yours" posts, and the thread would turn into another troubleshooting forum, of which LTT already has.

So I can see your POV on this.

That is what I mean by those threads needing someone to collect results and make sure correct formatting is used. Just having subforum will not change things.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 hours ago, For Science! said:

Generally speaking, the only thing you have to put more in is usually money. Sure, when the playing field is equal, effort does come into play, but at least in a "one board ranks all" situation, the more expensive higher-end CPUs will dominate

First of all, I'm not going to press this issue anymore (after this post), I just wanted to offer my perspective. if we want to continue to chat about it that's fine too but at the end of the day it's not my forum it's yours. and you do with it what you like..

But just to follow up on the above quote:

Plenty of my benchmarks have been split into categories based on CPU or number of cores, which makes it fair for everyone. 

Generally speaking, the team that invests the most money will have an advantage, yes... but isnt that the point of competition? You have to pay to play, this is a universal concept. And we certainly don't hand out championship wins to the losers. Your logic is akin to saying the upper echelon of computer hardware should be disqualified from competition because its expensive and therefore "cheating" and unfair to the losers because it "costs more".

You are also throwing the entire concept of "tuning" out the window. Baby with the bathwater type deal. For example look at the offshore powerboat known as Miss Geico, one of the most powerful powerboat in competition But do you have any idea at how much work the crew has to put in to perform like that? An INORDINATE amount of time is spent tuning the boat, day in and day out. Without that tuning, it would be impossible to compete with similar boats (on the money alone). In other words, you cannot "buy" your way to the top because there is always a huge chunk of tuning that has to go with it and you are leaving this out completely. And you are also leaving out the fact there are literally hundreds of systems on this forum that have a high end part like the 9900KF so I am sure there would be competition at the upper levels as well. 

I'm going to respect the mods / members decision here, and yield to their vision for the forum.

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

On 3/10/2021 at 7:05 PM, LogicalDrm said:

That is what I mean by those threads needing someone to collect results and make sure correct formatting is used. Just having subforum will not change things.

so just post threads? alright, but which subforum should i post them in?

19 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

so just post threads? alright, but which subforum should i post them in?

For games, PC Gaming. For others, the subforum of which the thing mostly uses.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv