Dell 2080 TI from Alienware area 51 is underperforming like crazy

Meninism

Hi,

I can only tell its underperforming by comparing most of my game's fps to online, in GTA I struggle to get 60 fps with 1080p all low, for rainbow six siege i get about 80-100 fps in all low 1080 p, this has been going on for a longgg time. Also my gpu utilization is almost close to nothing during some games, once had it at 1% during rainbow six siege. For some reason my 3D Mark score is decent (still not to its full potential) https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/59084490? . however my user bench mark score says that I'm underperforming horribly. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40520643

The attached picture is an image I found online but, its the exact same GPU I have.

This whole issue is really getting to my head and is very frustrating, any help is appreciated!

gpu.jpg

gpu1.jpg

What are the rest of the specs? (cpu, mem)

Edit: i looked through the userbenchmark thing, and you have a single stick of ram? thats going to tank perf. Get a second stick of 3200mhz. And ENABLE XMP!!!

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Meninism said:

Since it's a blower it's probably running at a temperature that's hotter than the sun so it's no surprise that it's not performing as well as other RTX 2080 Ti's. If cooled properly, the card will boost further because the core is cooler. That's how GPU Boost works.

The 2950X doesn't help either. It's too slow if you're gaming.

Having only 1 stick of RAM is probably causing problems too.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

That's going to be the biggest problem. That and the fact that his 3200mhz stick is at 2400mhz.

With the 3d mark score being fine, that makes sense, as gpu 3dmark tests don't rely on CPU that much.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

What are the rest of the specs? (cpu, mem)

Edit: i looked through the userbenchmark thing, and you have a single stick of ram? thats going to tank perf. Get a second stick of 3200mhz. And ENABLE XMP!!!

LOL, yea the xmp profile glitches and turns itself off every now and then, it really sucks and i cant seem to find any info on how to fix it, also, im planning on getting another stick but, I'm kind of broke right now lol, so ill see.

You can look on my profile for the rest of my specs including my pc part picker list(the gpu is wrong) :

20 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Since it's a blower it's probably running at a temperature that's hotter than the sun so it's no surprise that it's not performing as well as other RTX 2080 Ti's. If cooled properly, the card will boost further because the core is cooler. That's how GPU Boost works.

The 2950X doesn't help either. It's too slow if you're gaming.

if im doing hardcore gaming i use game mode which cuts cores and threads in half, but, ive seen online and it should affect much performance evn when not using game mode. Also, I average a 4.1 ghz clock, should i overclock at all? Ive heard 2950 x is bad at OC. my temps are a little worse than regualr fans but, i dont go past 75 C during gaming or Mining.

14 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

With the 3d mark score being fine, that makes sense,

That 3DMark score is anything but fine. It's severally underperforming. The GPU score for a "stock" RTX 2080 Ti should be at least 32,000 points. Even that as an estimate is "low"

as gpu 3dmark tests don't rely on CPU that much.

If the CPU is caught sleeping during the combined test the score tanks. It effects the overall score massively as well.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

16 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

If the CPU is caught sleeping during the combined test the score tanks. It effects the overall score massively as well.

What do you mean by sleeping?

2 minutes ago, Meninism said:

What do you mean by sleeping?

"caught sleeping" is just a term. Essentially, if you're CPU can't feed your GPU fast enough your score will suffer.

The only thing that can help you is changing your platform. Ryzen 3000/whatever Intel is on now would be much better if you're gaming. They have much better single + multi thread performance than Ryzen 2000.

10 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

The only thing that can help you is changing your platform. Ryzen 3000/whatever Intel is on now would be much better if you're gaming. They have much better single + multi thread performance than Ryzen 2000.

I understand this part but, 2950 x should only sacrifice about 10 frames in most AAA titles. My gpu on the other hand is severely underperforming, i just wanna know if i can fix it or if its a hardware issue and just wait for the 3080 or something like that.

3 minutes ago, Meninism said:

I understand this part but, 2950 x should only sacrifice about 10 frames in most AAA titles. My gpu on the other hand is severely underperforming, i just wanna know if i can fix it or if its a hardware issue and just wait for the 3080 or something like that.

Given it is a blower style cooler, that RTX 2080 Ti might also not be boost as high, too.

Doesn't help that the NZXT H500 / H510 is also KNOWN to be a "hot box" case...

Considering ThreadRipper and RTX 2080 Ti generate quite a bit of heat too.

The single stick of RAM running at DDR4-2400 will impact the CPU's performance, which then trickles down to GPU performance.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

There is a large gaps between performances of 2080 tis. Your GPU is probably using about 100 watts less than my EVGA FTW3 Ultra since it is heat limited. 

Also 2080 tis do not perform well with CPUs with low IPC or frequency. Right now the R9 5950X is producing the best scores. 

This is my score with a i9 10900k stock and my 24/7 GPU overclock(+117core +800mem) on the 2080 ti. https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/59087825?

The higher GPU and CPU Clock frequency tells the hole story.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

2 hours ago, jones177 said:

There is a large gaps between performances of 2080 tis. Your GPU is probably using about 100 watts less than my EVGA FTW3 Ultra since it is heat limited. 

Also 2080 tis do not perform well with CPUs with low IPC or frequency. Right now the R9 5950X is producing the best scores. 

This is my score with a i9 10900k stock and my 24/7 GPU overclock(+117core +800mem) on the 2080 ti. https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/59087825?

The higher GPU and CPU Clock frequency tells the hole story.

That's impressive, but online results say that I shouldn't be losing too much frames due to my processor, when gaming I switch to game mode or NUMA mode which cuts my threads and cores in half too focus on frequency. Other than my ram I don't think there is any other problem.

yeah I think this is the 'perfect storm' this pc seems to be make all the mistakes from a blower style gpu to an nzxt case that's known to be hell for even normal gpus to the single channel slow ram... 

I mean. that's what it looks like. 

get a better case. 

with tons of fans. 

get a cheap, new 8 core /16 threads Intel, and get proper ram (at least 8gb *dual channel* 3000mhz minimum) 

and yes, that also means a new motherboard. 

OOF. 

But I think this is the *cheapest* way to fix this pc, the gpu probably isn't bad at all, under the right conditions... 

you may also need a new PSU (not sure depending on what you have now) 

ps: yeah gigabyte psu should also be replaced. 

And if you were to do this all, also clean the gpu and replace the thermal paste, it's probably totally dried out from all the heat. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

12 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah I think this is the 'perfect storm' this pc seems to be make all the mistakes from a blower style gpu to an nzxt case that's known to be hell for even normal gpus to the single channel slow ram... 

I mean. that's what it looks like. 

get a better case. 

with tons of fans. 

get a cheap, new 8 core /16 threads Intel, and get proper ram (at least 8gb *dual channel* 3000mhz minimum) 

and yes, that also means a new motherboard. 

OOF. 

But I think this is the *cheapest* way to fix this pc, the gpu probably isn't bad at all, under the right conditions... 

you may also need a new PSU (not sure depending on what you have now) 

ps: yeah gigabyte psu should also be replaced. 

And if you were to do this all, also clean the gpu and replace the thermal paste, it's probably totally dried out from all the heat. 

How many times do I have to say that my temps are completely fine. My cpu is not the problem, because the 2950 x performs quite well in games. (even better with NULA mode on)

The PSU is not the problem, "The P750GM is 80 PLUS Gold certified, as well as ETA-A and LAMBDA-A- certified for, respectively, efficiency and noise on the Cybenetics scale. These are relatively high ratings, showing that this is an efficient and quiet PSU." - techpowerup.com 

Yes this case is considered a hot box but most people don't have many problems with it as the temps only rise by a small fraction under load.

At this point I'm not sure what else to do. I'm not spending another 1k on parts to improve airflow and get the same result from this gpu.

Maybe its bc ur monitor is plugged into the motherboard, or it could be downclocking bc of ur cases shitty airflow. IDK it could be something else to.

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

21 minutes ago, Meninism said:

How many times do I have to say that my temps are completely fine. My cpu is not the problem, because the 2950 x performs quite well in games. (even better with NULA mode on)

The PSU is not the problem, "The P750GM is 80 PLUS Gold certified, as well as ETA-A and LAMBDA-A- certified for, respectively, efficiency and noise on the Cybenetics scale. These are relatively high ratings, showing that this is an efficient and quiet PSU." - techpowerup.com 

Yes this case is considered a hot box but most people don't have many problems with it as the temps only rise by a small fraction under load.

At this point I'm not sure what else to do. I'm not spending another 1k on parts to improve airflow and get the same result from this gpu.

I know its kinda stupid, but you could go into MSI afterburner, set fan too 100% and rerun the scores seeing if there any better. gonna sound like a jet engine lol. My blower card was limiting the fan speed and throttling instead properly for quietness.

33 minutes ago, Meninism said:

I'm not spending another 1k on parts to improve airflow 

Thats understandable, but I stand by what I said, everything points to these parts being some of the worst possible combos imaginable, and it's not just the gpu either, and temps and performance *will* suffer for it, there are really not a lot of other options, likewise changing out the gpu won't be necessarily cheaper or have better results, and if you're convinced these parts are fine and should perform better, I'm not going to argue about that, just inform you that I heavily disagree - and seems I'm not the only thinking this (because it's kind of obvious) 

33 minutes ago, Meninism said:

At this point I'm not sure what else to do

like I said you don't have too many options here, you bought the parts now you kinda have to make out with them - or build something that actually makes sense. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

46 minutes ago, KingofMemes said:

Maybe its bc ur monitor is plugged into the motherboard, or it could be downclocking bc of ur cases shitty airflow. IDK it could be something else to.

ThreadRipper has no iGPU; the motherboard DOESN'T even have output ports on it.

1 hour ago, Meninism said:

Curious, what temperatures are you getting on the RTX 2080 Ti?

I'm not talking about JUST GPU Core temperature, I'm saying VRAM and VRM (e.g. power phases) temperatures as well.

The Gigabyte P-GM PSU is not great; it's actually plagued with a couple issues.

Believe or not, Gamers Nexus "Tech Jesus" is asking GP-P850GM and GP-P750GM users to contact them.

They are investigating the PSU failure, and burning cables issue.

image.png.03a3b0a651f64d3d41c99bdcacd48e58.png

PSU falls under the 'Tier-E -- Potentially dangerous in multiple scenarios' category in the LTT PSU Tier List.

image.png.41f74898b83ebb070c3a065163e88f85.png

It doesn't cost $1000 to improve airflow.

New case like a Phanteks P400A / P500A Digital is.... $100 ~ $130?

Before doing any case buying / swapping, just take the side panel off the NZXT H510.

If temperatures drop by a noticeable amount, THEN you know case airflow is a question.

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]

• Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

26 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

ThreadRipper has no iGPU; the motherboard DOESN'T even have output ports on it.

Curious, what temperatures are you getting on the RTX 2080 Ti?

I'm not talking about JUST GPU Core temperature, I'm saying VRAM and VRM (e.g. power phases) temperatures as well.

The Gigabyte P-GM PSU is not great; it's actually plagued with a couple issues.

Believe or not, Gamers Nexus "Tech Jesus" is asking GP-P850GM and GP-P750GM users to contact them.

They are investigating the PSU failure, and burning cables issue.

image.png.03a3b0a651f64d3d41c99bdcacd48e58.png

PSU falls under the 'Tier-E -- Potentially dangerous in multiple scenarios' category in the LTT PSU Tier List.

image.png.41f74898b83ebb070c3a065163e88f85.png

It doesn't cost $1000 to improve airflow.

New case like a Phanteks P400A / P500A Digital is.... $100 ~ $130?

Before doing any case buying / swapping, just take the side panel off the NZXY H510.

If temperatures drop by a noticeable amount, THEN you know case airflow is a question.

ok, sry i didnt see his specs

5 minutes ago, KingofMemes said:

ok, sry i didnt see his specs

Can't just read the first first post mah man. 😄

OP gave us full system specs in the first reply.

image.thumb.png.142e10def4f09be62c9b76f54164bbf4.png

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz

• Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

Just now, -rascal- said:

Can't just read the first first post mah man. 😄

OP gave us full system specs in the first reply.

image.thumb.png.142e10def4f09be62c9b76f54164bbf4.png

i pressed reply "mah man!" I didnt read the other comments

14 hours ago, Meninism said:

That's impressive, but online results say that I shouldn't be losing too much frames due to my processor, when gaming I switch to game mode or NUMA mode which cuts my threads and cores in half too focus on frequency. Other than my ram I don't think there is any other problem.

You are still short on IPC and frequency. If you are not using your cores you basically are using a R7 2700X.

I use game benches to see how my hardware is doing since most games will crash long before synthetic benches do with aggressive overclocks. 

My Favorite game bench is Shadow of the Tomb Raider.  Most Youtubers still use it to test hardware so there is lots of info out there. Assassins' Creed Odyssey is another.

Running benches like those and using MSI Afterburner to monitor is the way to go. I even record them so I can look at them later and compare with other videos.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

• 4 weeks later...

as has been suggested in a previous post you should slot in another stick of 3200Mhz ram to get dual channel and enable xmp that will solve some overall issues however i would also suggest using something like msi afterburner to set an overclock on your GPU thermals allowing that should help some of the issuse blower type cards tend to be sock speeds or underclocked by the makers of the card

my pny 2080 ti blower card was underclocked by pny due to its blower design but i found it could handle the normal aftermarket speeds just fine sure its loud but its temps are normal still and it runs up there in terms of performance