I want to hear audio through 2 devices with one headset

Cillian04

I have my pc and then a windows tablet that I use for watching YouTube or listening to music. The speakers on the tablet are really bad and want to use it with my headphones but I already use them with my Pc. Does the elgato chat link allow me to hear both my tablet and Pc through my headset and if not is there another method I can use. Thanks

4 minutes ago, Cillian04 said:

I have my pc and then a windows tablet that I use for watching YouTube or listening to music. The speakers on the tablet are really bad and want to use it with my headphones but I already use them with my Pc. Does the elgato chat link allow me to hear both my tablet and Pc through my headset and if not is there another method I can use. Thanks

It might be easier to use the line in 3.5mm port (the blue one) if your motherboard has it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

29 minutes ago, minibois said:

It might be easier to use the line in 3.5mm port (the blue one) if your motherboard has it.

Thanks for the reply but how does this allow me to use my headset for my tablet and my pc 

8 minutes ago, Cillian04 said:

Thanks for the reply but how does this allow me to use my headset for my tablet and my pc 

image.png.b19cb7e54aa6f6e60b6c54cc8af47e28.png

(Note: this image shows the headphones connected to the green 3.5mm line out port, it can be USB/optical audio/etc. too)

Although I do realize with this method, you can't use the headset's microphone and the tablet audio at the same time, since you set the "line in" in the recording tab, which is also where you would set a microfone.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, minibois said:

image.png.b19cb7e54aa6f6e60b6c54cc8af47e28.png

(Note: this image shows the headphones connected to the green 3.5mm line out port, it can be USB/optical audio/etc. too)

Although I do realize with this method, you can't use the headset's microphone and the tablet audio at the same time, since you set the "line in" in the recording tab, which is also where you would set a microfone.

Do I need an aux cable for this to plug into the tablet and also would I be able to put the headphones in the front io

headphone jack 

8 minutes ago, Cillian04 said:

Do I need an aux cable for this to plug into the tablet and also would I be able to put the headphones in the front io headphone jack 

Yes to both questions.

Just now, minibois said:

Yes to both questions.

So to sum it up plug the aux into the tablet and then the blue port on my mobo and then my headset into front port on my pc and then what was the thing about setting it as “line in” in recording tab 

3 minutes ago, Cillian04 said:

So to sum it up plug the aux into the tablet and then the blue port on my mobo and then my headset into front port on my pc

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, Cillian04 said:

and then what was the thing about setting it as “line in” in recording tab 

image.png.cb2e06811742623cbfdc149238ec8700.png

(right click the audio logo)

Then in the program that opens, you go to the "recording" tab

- Find "Line in"

- Right click > set as default

I don't 100% remember it, but I think you need to go to properties > listen > listen to this device

but not  sure about that last part.

After that, you should now hear the audio from the tablet.

6 minutes ago, minibois said:

Exactly.

image.png.cb2e06811742623cbfdc149238ec8700.png

(right click the audio logo)

Then in the program that opens, you go to the "recording" tab

- Find "Line in"

- Right click > set as default

I don't 100% remember it, but I think you need to go to properties > listen > listen to this device

but not  sure about that last part.

After that, you should now hear the audio from the tablet.

Thank you so much for the help 

1 hour ago, Cillian04 said:

The most direct method is the analog method. connect the line-out from the tablet to the line-in on the pc, connect the speaker-out (front panel) to your headphones. This method works, but is slightly-less than ideal than a digital-only option.

The digital option is less straight forward. NDI and VBAN are options here for iOS/Android however this is usually intended to be receiver-only (eg the PC would have to be routed to the tablet, which would induce more latency if you were using the pc for gaming.) NDI can capture the phone and send it to a receiver on the pc, and vice versa.

There are of course other non-standard ways of doing this which requires downloading/purchasing software on both devices.

But unless you have a super-noisey environment, the analog option is the cheapest and easiest option. All you need to do with Windows PC's is have "listen to this device" set.

image.png.5bdba77e04b856155fa7c13a89d23e36.png

Above is the digital-in on my SB X-Fi, but the same works for Line-in or Microphone inputs. 

If you have a MB that has only 3 3.5mm jacks on the back and no front jacks, they might be configured as speaker-out, line-in, and microphone, and may require finding the audio device's control panel to tell it you are listening to line-level line-in and not something else. If you have 6 jacks and 2 front panel jacks, usually all the rear jacks are set to 6-channel output configuration, so you might have to look at your manual for which one is the true line-in.

Side-note to avoid destroying your sound chips... turn the volume all the way down on the tablet. Line-in expects line-level input. Older non-smartphones and early car kits had settings to allow the device to switch between line-level output/accessory-out and headphones/speakers mode. Most newer stuff doesn't even correctly identify headsets (stereo speakers with a microphone) from headphones.

22 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The most direct method is the analog method. connect the line-out from the tablet to the line-in on the pc, connect the speaker-out (front panel) to your headphones. This method works, but is slightly-less than ideal than a digital-only option.

The digital option is less straight forward. NDI and VBAN are options here for iOS/Android however this is usually intended to be receiver-only (eg the PC would have to be routed to the tablet, which would induce more latency if you were using the pc for gaming.) NDI can capture the phone and send it to a receiver on the pc, and vice versa.

There are of course other non-standard ways of doing this which requires downloading/purchasing software on both devices.

But unless you have a super-noisey environment, the analog option is the cheapest and easiest option. All you need to do with Windows PC's is have "listen to this device" set.

image.png.5bdba77e04b856155fa7c13a89d23e36.png

Above is the digital-in on my SB X-Fi, but the same works for Line-in or Microphone inputs. 

If you have a MB that has only 3 3.5mm jacks on the back and no front jacks, they might be configured as speaker-out, line-in, and microphone, and may require finding the audio device's control panel to tell it you are listening to line-level line-in and not something else. If you have 6 jacks and 2 front panel jacks, usually all the rear jacks are set to 6-channel output configuration, so you might have to look at your manual for which one is the true line-in.

Side-note to avoid destroying your sound chips... turn the volume all the way down on the tablet. Line-in expects line-level input. Older non-smartphones and early car kits had settings to allow the device to switch between line-level output/accessory-out and headphones/speakers mode. Most newer stuff doesn't even correctly identify headsets (stereo speakers with a microphone) from headphones.

Ohh ok I understand what you are saying I will stick to the analog method with the aux cable as I think it is easiest and hope it won’t be a problem to set up within windows 

Or you could get a headphone mixer (just google it there cheap little things)

4 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Or you could get a headphone mixer (just google it there cheap little things)

I will do that if the aux does not work do you now how I set it up when I plug in the aux cable