What’s the smallest SSD possible?

Go to solution Solved by JohanKjeldahl7,
2 minutes ago, MrDBD said:

Storage volume

Technically there is no limit how low you can go I think. But the smallest ones I found online which you can buy are 64-128MB (yes, Megabyte, not Gigabyte). But there may be smaller ones for sale in other parts of the world.

3 minutes ago, MrDBD said:

Just interested.

Do you mean the storage volume in GB? Or are you talking about how big it physically is?

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

Storage volume

1 minute ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

Do you mean the storage volume in GB? Or are you talking about how big it physically is?

Storage volume

In that case, you could theoretically go down all the way to a single bit

Storage volume

look at chrome books. 32GB eMMC

Storage volume

Technically there is no limit how low you can go I think. But the smallest ones I found online which you can buy are 64-128MB (yes, Megabyte, not Gigabyte). But there may be smaller ones for sale in other parts of the world.

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

Do you have limits on how you define what a SSD is?

For example, CompactFlash cards use the parallel ATA standard (PATA, what we had before SATA). With a mechanical adapter you could use a CF card as a SSD. I think the smallest one I had might be 4MB or 8MB, I don't recall exactly as it was so long ago. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Do you want the drive to be usable in combination with a regular operating system?

I that case, I think you may be limited by the smallest addressable unit for storage devices (a "block"). The smallest one supported by modern operating systems is a 512 byte block size. You also need a little room for the file system's metadata and metadata for each file (e.g. 1024 byte on NTFS). So you'd probably need a couple of kilobytes to make it usable in a practical sense.

If there's no such limitations then theoretically you could go as small as a single bit, as others have mentioned.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Smallest easy to buy would be 4GB or 4GB  "dom" style drives.

They're often used for loading operating system in enterprise switches, or on servers, or in thin clients.

For example 2GB/4GB etc IDE SSDs using MLC memory: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2G-4G-8GB-16GB-32GB-64GB-DOM-SSD-Disk-On-Module-Industrial-IDE-Flash-40-Pins-MLC/274126668459

Another example https://www.ebay.com/itm/4GB-IDE-SSD-DOM-Transcend-44-Pin-Thin-Client-Horizontal-HP-T5740-T610-DOM44H/273817819256

or with miniPCIe connector https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swissbit-mini-PCIe-mSATA-4GB-SSD-Memory-Card-PN-SFSA4096U1BR4-C-MS-236-FTS-TO/132171399397