This is TWO SSDs.

Enmotus isn't a commonly known company among gamers, but that might change with Fuzedrive, an SLC-infused SSD that claims to have "AI"...

Buy Enmotus FuzeDrive 1.6TB SSD (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/DETLLGS

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Daum. 

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

2L1A1539-Edit.thumb.jpg.baaeb9816de065add5a462b171fdc70b.jpg2L1A1594-Edit.thumb.jpg.e93701ec845170a23f13505f23aa5504.jpg

Ayeeeeeeeeee, I have one of those.

Hey where can I get that software that Linus used to combine the SSD and the hard drive?

8 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Will it work for my MSI laptop with a 1 TB crucial SSD and a 1 TB hard drive or do I need the fuse drive SSD? Also the cheapest one should work for my 2 TB of storage right? And will it delete my data on the hard drive when I combine them?

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

It'll work with every SSD. After all, AMD's StoreMI is based on it and this SSD didn't exist back then, the FuseDrive software on the other hand is quite a bit older.

I have a MSI GF63 8RD with an i7 and 1 TB SSD and 1 TB HDD also. Will the cheapest one work for my 2 TB of storage? And will it delete my data on the hard drive when I combine them?

2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Did you even look at the link that @Den-Fi posted? That makes it very apparent that the largest fast (SSD; accelerator) drive in the lowest package can only be up to 256GB in size. If you want 1TB, you'll need to pony up to the mid-tier at least. That's also why they're called FuzeDrive 256, FuzeDrive 1000 and FuzeDrive XL (which supports up to 32TB of general storage across the 2-storage-medium tier in either SSD or HDD.) But the medium tier should be sufficient. As to it deleting data on the secondary, to-be-accelerated drive? IIRC no, but I wouldn't take any chances. Enabling and disabling Intel's own Optane software also won't format the drive that is to be accelerated. It'll keep the data IIRC.

Ok thanks. Didn't see the sizes and didn't catch on to the naming scheme. What does IIRC mean?

This would be great as a boot drive as Windows tends to write a lot of data to the drive, but not at this price. You could get 2 similar drives for the price of one of these.

In regards to write endurance on Flash media.

The "endurance" is actually a very very fuzzy gray line.

The flash cell stores a charge in a floating gate, but the charge stuffed into it can actually escape over time, all though very slowly.

Each write and erase cycle will force electrons (ie charge) through the insulation surrounding our floating gate. Each time this is done, our insulation has a tendency to weaken, making it slightly worse at its job.

Elevating the temperature during writes will help the insulation to not wear out as much, and honestly, heating the flash cell to 120+ degrees C for a few seconds can even aneal the insulation and restore some life to it. But DO NOT bake your SSDs in the oven, the BGA interface doesn't like it, nor does the PCB the chips are on, or the caps on it among other components... (But some Flash manufacturers have been looking at integrating heaters in the flash array itself, doing very localized heating for each write.)

Keeping the drive cold on the other hand will ensure that the leakage through the insulation gets smaller, extending its data retention time by sometimes a fair bit. But this isn't always practical. (To a degree, having a peltier element on an SSD would be logical, then one could heat it before each write and then cool it back down for storage, but this would be wildly impractical since it would need time to heat the thing up, making for a very high latency.)

Now, Flash cells have a data retention period that is typically in the few years region. (One can quote Microchip's "20 year retention at 85 degrees C" Flash used in their microcontrollers, but this is honestly built for excellent long term data retention, not price/GB. Ie, Microchip's Flash is expensive as hell in comparison, but a micro only needs a few kB of it.)

But with each write, our data retention time drops a little bit, eventually it reaches a point where our manufacturer doesn't regard it to be in spec.

It still works, just forgets too fast if one asks the manufacturer about it. For caching and scratch disk applications where the data doesn't linger for as long, then we can technically abuse the drive far harder than if it were our primary storage. (and we can always check back with the primary storage to see that our data is still intact and hasn't rotted away due to this leakage.)

This means that Fuzedrive's statement that they can make it last 3x longer than Samsung guarantees isn't actually weird.

Samsung likely bases their number on a 3-8 year data retention time, maybe longer, since it is intended as primary storage.

Also, to end it all, don't put flash drives in time capsules.... They will be empty when they are retrieved, especially after a few hundred years. (Though, here one can debate if the data on them is even discernable by then...)

I frankly don't get the point of this thing. PrimoCache had this for ages and yet I'm the only one constantly mentioning it like I'm some sort of shill, but I don't have any affiliation with them, I was just so amazed by their software. PrimoCache also makes only primary drive visible. Cache drive is not visible. Early versions only had read cache, but latest versions also have write cache including deferred write with several different methods. You can have L1 and L2 cache. It can act as write through and clears content after write or it leaves it if needed later. It can ingress write to RAM, then tier it down to SSD and lastly to HDD and retain the data until absolutely needed to be discarded from either level. PrimoCache can also operate as pure read only cache so it'll use SSD cache to speed up reads, but all writes go directly to HDD.

At least FuzeDrive software is comparable to PrimoCache price wise so I don't have any objections there. It's also much more friendly to use this time around than when it was still called StoreMI. The way it operated back then was terrible and it was actually volatile. Losing cache meant you also lost all primary data and that's terrible. PrimoCache, if cache drive fails, you just fall back to slow speeds of primary HDD. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore with FuzeDrive, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

For all of those who want not 1, not 2, but 1.6 TB of storage!

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

love to use 3 of this in raid on my mobo

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

Loved the intro by the way!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I purchased 2 14TB HDD's for a RAID 1 NAS. I was looking to get an SSD for caching it and improving write/read times. Would this be a feasible and good use case? Thanks.

1 hour ago, JDJr said:

I purchased 2 14TB HDD's for a RAID 1 NAS. I was looking to get an SSD for caching it and improving write/read times. Would this be a feasible and good use case? Thanks.

image.png.db1b349bbc5934d991e9b954b1a6652b.png

I guess the answer officially from FuzeDrive is no at the moment.

https://www.enmotus.com/fuzedrive-faq

• 4 weeks later...

So… 1) it does not outperform the Samsung 970 Pro and 2) the best it can do is copy Apple's Fusion Drive technology to Windows…? (Which the video failed to mention by the way).

Wow best to get a PCIe RAID board and 2 (or more) actual SSDs instead 🙄

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit behind following the channel, and I just watched the Enmotus Fuzedrive video from a month ago.

This is the first time I've been able to detect this in an LTT video, but it featured a lot of misinformation as to how SSDs work, more specifically how NAND flash memory works. (Maybe because this an area in computer tech I know a little bit more about and I just miss issues on topics I know less about. Or maybe the writer fucked up.)

I was unable to locate any post addressing these inaccuracies, so I'll do so here.

The inaccuracies start at 2:25 in the video.

1. NAND flash operates on what are known as program/erase cycles. Technically the problem with endurance isn't the voltages required to "write", or program the cell, but the voltages required to erase the cell sufficiently quickly. This however is a minor nitpick.

2. "Multi-level NAND can be used in single-level mode, where only a single layer in each cell is actually used at a time." This is the major inaccuracy of the video - both what Linus says, and the graphic displayed. A cell is a single, atomic unit. It is not subdivided in additional layers. Multi-level cells refer to the amount of voltage levels that can be reliably written or erased from that cell. A triple-level cell needs to be able to reliably read and write 8 different voltage levels (3 bits, hence triple-level). As long as a cell can reliably store the charge and the controller can reliably distinguish between different charge states, a cell may be as many or as few "levels" as you wish.

3. "That means that it will sacrifice, over time, both the performance and endurance that it was supposed to gain from the SLC cache". Filling up a drive that can operate its cells in SLC mode for caching purposes, causing the NAND available for cache usage to diminish does NOT harm endurance. Endurance is based on the number of P/E cycles a cell has undergone, it does not depend on the mode it is operating. It does not matter if you write to a cell in QLC or SLC mode - you're used up one cycle either way. Furthermore, performance is not sacrificed over time (at least not anymore than with regular usage). Performance deteriorates over time with normal usage as a matter of course. A cell at a given wear level, but operating in SLC mode will inherently be faster than the same cell operating in QLC mode, because the controller can "push" the cell more. "[...] it can tolerate a higher voltage change until the erase will be so slow that the block needs to be retired"

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/5067/understanding-tlc-nand/2

16 hours ago, martixy said:

I am a bit behind following the channel, and I just watched the Enmotus Fuzedrive video from a month ago.

Merged with official video thread (which is linked in video description too).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 10 months later...

Does anyone know the impact or expectation for upgrading to Windows 11 Pro (from Windows 10 Pro) with a FuzeDrive active?  I go to the enmotus Website and cannot seem to either GET TO IT or get their KB to work?

On 3/1/2021 at 6:06 PM, RejZoR said:

PrimoCache had this for ages and yet I'm the only one constantly mentioning it like I'm some sort of shill, but I don't have any affiliation with them, I was just so amazed by their software.

I use PrimoCache myself and have been for some time now.  The L1 cache is enabled for all drives.  The L2 cache, which resides on a NVMe drive, is only enabled for the SATA drive.  Defer-writes are enabled for all drives as well.

Acer Predator Helios 300 – Model #PH315-53-764Q CPU-Z

• Keyboard — Corsair K57 RGB Wireless Gaming Keyboard – Model #RGP0085
  • Memory (RAM) — 64GB Kingston FURY Impact – Part #KF432S20IBK2/64
  • Mouse — Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse – Model #RGP0052
  • Operating System — Windows 11 Professional (64-bit)
  • Stand — TopMate C11 Gaming Cooler
  • Storage (HDD, SSD)
    • 1× 4TB Samsung 870 EVO – Model #MZ-77E4T0B/AM
    • 2× 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus – Model #MZ-V7S2T0/AM

Anda Seat Kaiser Series Premium Gaming Chair – Kaiser II – Model #AD12XL-02-AB-PV/C-A02

HP OfficeJet Pro 8025e

Samsung 7.1.2 Soundbar – Model #HW-Q900A/ZC

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite – Model #SM-T227U

Samsung Galaxy Watch5 Pro – Model #SM-R925F

Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 – Model #SM-F721W

TP-Link Archer AX11000 MU-MIMO Tri-Band Gaming Router

• 3× TP-Link 16-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch with 8-Port PoE+ – Model #TL-SG1016PE
    Noctua 40x20mm Premium Fan – Model #NF-A4x20 FLX
      • TP-Link AX3000 Mesh WiFi 6 Extender – Model #RE705X
    • IoT
      • TP-Link AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender – Model #RE305