Possibly offensive ad on tech quickie

Cbeeman

So I came across this ad on the tech quickie youtube channel, and though I wasn't personally offended, I know this isn't the image Linus wishes to project. They even talked about it on the livestream. Just thought I would bring it to their attention.

post-669-0-99412100-1395630370_thumb.png

Must. Resist. Joke.

I can be a cynical a**hole at times. I apologize if I cause any offence at those time. I also occasionally have issues communicating my point. Extreme introversion + Photographic memory + Some other things.

Desktop: i5-4670k - 8gb 1600MHz - MSI 7850

Laptop: i7-4810QM - GTX 870m - 8gb RAM

Those are not the kind of quickies I was expecting.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Well now we know your fetish...

You have some explaining to do.

Arent these kind of add based on your search results?

Well ads tend to pertain to what the user has recently been viewing. So it's partially your fault.

to be fair, googles ads are supposed to be based on your search history... but that is usually horribly wrong.  For example, I google games, and I google anime, but I've literally never looked up "distasteful" things on my pc, but I get some messed up "anime" games.

to be fair, googles ads are supposed to be based on your search history... but that is usually horribly wrong.  For example, I google games, and I google anime, but I've literally never looked up "distasteful" things on my pc, but I get some messed up "anime" games.

That's because categories, from Google's perspective, are botched. 

If it's anime to Google, it's "anime", regardless of what it really is. 

This literally always happens to me. I look up PSUs on Newegg, the next week all I see are Newegg PSU ads. Usually with the very PSU I looked up. 

I never see ads though unless I'm looking for them or this happens (where it's something I've been recently looking at). I guess I've learned to tune them out.

Interestingly, I listen to lots of ASMR videos, which, imo, should make ads like the OP saw come up. Yet I never see them. Weird (and those are the kind you'd notice). Oh well.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

That's because categories, from Google's perspective, are botched. 

If it's anime to Google, it's "anime", regardless of what it really is. 

This literally always happens to me. I look up PSUs on Newegg, the next week all I see are Newegg PSU ads. Usually with the very PSU I looked up. 

I never see ads though unless I'm looking for them or this happens (where it's something I've been recently looking at). I guess I've learned to tune them out.

Its basically just a fairly inaccurate tag system.

Oh man this is too funny... :D

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

So I came across this ad on the tech quickie youtube channel, and though I wasn't personally offended, I know this isn't the image Linus wishes to project. They even talked about it on the livestream. Just thought I would bring it to their attention.

To sum up what everyone is saying, its not Linus, its Google. It's supposed to be based on what you search, but it is often inaccurate.

I'm pretty sure Linus doesn't control what ads are next to his youtube videos.

It's ok

look here what showed up on my profile page...

post-6848-0-27934900-1395465543_thumb.jp

Google...you got some 'splainin to do!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I have my devices and computers setup so that they can't track me and I also utilise Ad Block so I never see those kind of ads and I'm glad.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

It shows ads based on what you have looked at.  BUT linus is also in control and can setup restrictions so certain categories like Adult content won't get shown. I know this because I have used Google ads for years.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

I have ad's on LTT that are guitar related, computer related, basically things i search to buy. Its google using your searching to connect you to products that are similar, not LTT.

Motherboard - ASUS P6X58D-E Processor - Intel i7 930 Bloomfield OC'd @ 4.01Ghz, 1.28v | RAM - 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-12, 1600mhz | Graphics Card - EVGA Geforce GTX660 SC 3GB @ +75mhz core, +500mhz mem | Power Supply - Seasonic X650 Gold

CPU Cooler, Fans - Corsair H-90 w/ Noctua FN14 push/pull, Gelid Wings UV Blue  | Case - Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2 |

I have ad's on LTT that are guitar related, computer related, basically things i search to buy. Its google using your searching to connect you to products that are similar, not LTT.

ya the google ads are normally good and related to what i have been looking for but when you have little tracking info it seems google thinks every one is looking for asian women lol

Try using adblock if you don't want to see offensive ads. :)

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB