A RTX 2060 craigslist ad that seems off to me.

cappyvroom

I currently have an R9 380 and have been trying to upgrade recently and as I'm sure you're aware, you can't. I decided to finally venture into craigslist and found an actually good deal on a RTX 2060, almost too good. His wording in the description seems weird as well. He's also shipping through mail, but I figured that was fo covid reasons. Any ideas if this might be a scam or am I just overreacting?

RTX 2060.png

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It was posted 30 days ago ... I don't see the card actually shown

Texting to a number is... weird

Probably fake card or selling just the box 

first picture looks like the card is shown. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Definitely too good to be true. Saw a RTX 3070 FE for only $50 over MSRP. Guy even tried to be super friendly and talk about hardware with me and such. Though then when it came down to payment, it "wasn't processing", "he couldn't talk to me over the phone, only text", and my favorite "his boss said he had to be isolated for COVID so he couldn't do a cash exchange". As if his boss has a tracker on him 24/7. In my desperation I still held on for a bit more since I had PayPal buyer protection. Then the classic scam appeared. After days of pretending to have so much trouble with the "terrible" PayPal system and us apparently being best buddies lol, he said lets just use Cash App bc it's "faster and so much easier". Rather convenient there is no buyers guarantee for such a service.

Overall felt like a fool for hanging on for so long, not to mention the wasted time talking and trying to verify the authenticity of the product. In the end these aren't worth it. If you text them, sometimes they're even bots lol. Save yourself the headache.

7 hours ago, mariushm said:

It was posted 30 days ago ... I don't see the card actually shown

Texting to a number is... weird

Probably fake card or selling just the box 

the 30 days tipped me off too.

7 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

first picture looks like the card is shown. 

yeah probably should've had the first picture.

7 hours ago, XXX_BlueFire_XXX said:

Definitely too good to be true. Saw a RTX 3070 FE for only $50 over MSRP. Guy even tried to be super friendly and talk about hardware with me and such. Though then when it came down to payment, it "wasn't processing", "he couldn't talk to me over the phone, only text", and my favorite "his boss said he had to be isolated for COVID so he couldn't do a cash exchange". As if his boss has a tracker on him 24/7. In my desperation I still held on for a bit more since I had PayPal buyer protection. Then the classic scam appeared. After days of pretending to have so much trouble with the "terrible" PayPal system and us apparently being best buddies lol, he said lets just use Cash App bc it's "faster and so much easier". Rather convenient there is no buyers guarantee for such a service.

Overall felt like a fool for hanging on for so long, not to mention the wasted time talking and trying to verify the authenticity of the product. In the end these aren't worth it. If you text them, sometimes they're even bots lol. Save yourself the headache.

yeah i think its too good to be true. i guess an R9 380 is good enough for now. hopefully.

Dont see an issue with an old post. Normally people dont take them off once sold. All of my craigslist interactions have been through text. Tend to forget people use email and end up being ignored. 

If they are serious they will meet up and sell it. If not then its another unnecessary risk.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

8 hours ago, cappyvroom said:

yeah i think its too good to be true. i guess an R9 380 is good enough for now. hopefully.

Just remember that there is always someone else out there with a worse graphics card. Just hold on and prices will come back to normal.

14 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Dont see an issue with an old post. Normally people dont take them off once sold. All of my craigslist interactions have been through text. Tend to forget people use email and end up being ignored. 

If they are serious they will meet up and sell it. If not then its another unnecessary risk.

I'm going to attempt to call him again and if he doesn't answer I'll text again. He did text me and say it is available still. But nothing else. If he doesn't answer I am going to call it quits.

7 hours ago, JohnDeereBro said:

Just remember that there is always someone else out there with a worse graphics card. Just hold on and prices will come back to normal.

I could have a gt 1030 that all the prebuilts insist is good enough.

14 hours ago, cappyvroom said:

I could have a gt 1030 that all the prebuilts insist is good enough.

True dat

I also seen a similar post on the Craigslist in my area I was sure was a fake. Seems to be lots of them going around even on Ebay bringing out the absolute worst of people. I'm so glad I bought my RTX 2060 Super 14 months ago, but am still on the look out to make an upgrade at a reasonable sale.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

9 hours ago, alyen said:

I also seen a similar post on the Craigslist in my area I was sure was a fake. Seems to be lots of them going around even on Ebay bringing out the absolute worst of people. I'm so glad I bought my RTX 2060 Super 14 months ago, but am still on the look out to make an upgrade at a reasonable sale.

I am willing to get anything that can just let me play games with my friends that i cannot run.