Cinema in car

So you most of you heard about the new technology LG is developing "Transparent OLED Displays" 

wouldn't it be so cool to make the windshield of the car a transparent display so you could see every detail about the car on the screen and in something like Tesla and its evolving autopilot 

you can rely on it without the worry to check the road every 5 minutes, so in that time you can use the screen to watch movies or play some game on the screen. I now that there is HUD to display speed and other details.

But it won't be comparable to this, don't you think so?

1 minute ago, Moro59 said:

so in that time you can use the screen to watch movies or play some game on the screen

The transparent displays don't display black, since that's used for the transparency, so that'd make movies and games look like shit. No, thanks.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

The transparent displays don't display black, since that's used for the transparency, so that'd make movies and games look like shit. No, thanks.

in future you may be able to control its transparency level 

What happens when the car in front of you kicks up a rock and sends a crack across the windshield? Pay thousands of dollars each time it happens? Like said above, no thanks. If you really want information shown on the windshield, a HUD is currently a much better option. 

Edited by The_russian
Edited for clarity

1 minute ago, Moro59 said:

So you most of you heard about the new technology LG is developing "Transparent OLED Displays" 

wouldn't it be so cool to make the windshield of the car a transparent display so you could see every detail about the car on the screen and in something like Tesla and its evolving autopilot 

you can rely on it without the worry to check the road every 5 minutes, so in that time you can use the screen to watch movies or play some game on the screen. I now that there is HUD to display speed and other details.

But it won't be comparable to this, don't you think so?

I do not think this will be a viable market for "clear TVs" because being able to "see" the hazard is very clearly not enough to prevent accidents. A driver that is 'aware' of the hazard is key, and watching a TV, or Zeus forbid, playing a game, a driver will be not only incredibly distracted, but if even 20 minutes in any online PvP multiplayer is any indication, those individuals will also be highly emotionally charged, and piloting a 2 ton weapon.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

Now this is a suggestion definitely coming from a generation of kids deluding themselves into thinking they can safely text and browse while driving. If only you could stick the content on the road, you could divide your attention better, with better results? Nope.

If this technology were used in a windshield, sure, it could get road damage - but we'd take a page from cell phones, and there would be a protective layer of expendable, cheaper glass ahead of the expensive screen.

Funny thing about the mention of drive-ins is that the pandemic has led to a resurgence in drive-in theaters.

Personally, I think it would look awful.

One, car windshields are sloped. Any image displayed on them would be distorted horribly, unless it is a truck, with vertical windshields. Try looking at a curved display from the top, or maybe angle it down like the angle of some car windshields.

Second, as pointed out by some, transparent displays can't display black, black on a screen is basically a lack of color, and what is a lack of color on a transparent screen? Transparent. Sure, LCD tech allows for the display of black pixels on transparent surfaces (I've seen a few quirky bedside clock-timer-temp-humidity sensor combos on a few stores). But, those types of LCDs rely on the reaction of the liquid crystals themselves to make a transparent surface opaque, and they're monochrome (transparent and opaque only, no in-betweens). And that response time is light years away from the response time of OLED displays, which is near instant.

Third, if a manufacturer successfully makes a windshield-display glass sandwich which includes an OLED layer for color, LCD layer for blacks, and another layer for the windshield itself, it would be too bulky, to say the least. Plus, monochrome LCDs much like in calculators are sensitive to heat and/or sunlight. Just imagine leaving a calculator out in the sun for a few hours or days. Now, imagine that with a display the size of a table, left out in the sun, for a few hours to simulate a road trip. See what I'm saying here?

Last point, reliability. Imagine having your windshield replaced just because the images on the display itself looks blurry, or degraded thanks to the sun. It would be too expensive to maintain. Another point is screen burn-in. A display displaying the same, unchanging image on a screen (in this case symbols, or the MPH/KM/H text on the speedometer) will inevitably burn that image on the screen, causing a shadow like appearance where the text/symbols were. Take, for example, airport or train departure/arrival screens.

Sorry to rain on your parade, OP. But the reality of it is, it is just too expensive, too unreliable, and too sensitive to implement. HUDs, gauge cluster screens, center console screens are still the way to go. Not everything needs to have a screen.

11 minutes ago, hyperparadox said:

Not everything needs to have a screen.

If only more people could think this way. A fridge doesn't need a damn screen or computer to tell me when we're running out of eggs! I hate how computerized our society has become. It's honestly unbearable anymore.

EDIT: I'm gonna steal this and paste it everywhere now.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

If only more people could think this way. A fridge doesn't need a damn screen or computer to tell me when we're running out of eggs! I hate how computerized our society has become. It's honestly unbearable anymore.

I agree, what do manufacturers think of us? We have eyes! But the InstaView fridge by LG is cool tho, great use of a screen. Knock on the door to look at the contents without wasting the cold air inside.

I am honestly waiting for the "All-Screen Build", or something along those lines, from LTT. Every damn component on a PC already has a screen, except for the RAM, unless some manufacturer, *ehem* ASUS *ehem*, decides "You know what would be a good idea? You know that RGB strips on the top of the RAM? What if that, but screen?". Everything has a damn display. Motherboards, AIOs, GPUs, PSUs, keyboards, mouse, and even the damn case! Some madman manufacturer actually used the side panel as a display!