Linus What happened to your mining rigs you built?

Darwing

Linus did a series a few years back on crypto mining, they left a ton of computers mining for a few years, and would love an update on that

LUKE??? LINUS??? 

PLEASE release a video on that update and if mining is still a thing or feasible to do like you did a few years ago

16 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Wasn't that setup taken down a long time ago?

^^^ I'd assume this, once the experiment/series is over they usually just tear down the PCs and put them in storage, often reuse them for other builds. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I feel like they would have revisited this in the last few weeks with the current state of crypto. I imagine the rigs were disassembled after the video series.

It would be super cool if they secretly let them farm the whole time and are planning a big video though..🤞

I think I'm one of the wan show or something they mentioned they stopped mining after the series or something not too long after the 2018 crash

And recently linus did briefly mention about the environment impact of mining so I doubt he's going to support mining any more

But he's not explicitly against it either, more of a neutral party

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

With him passion for Nvida and the current state on the GPU issues etc. I would love for him to make a statement on the mining crew, he had a 4 part series so he can't be that opposed. 

also his ability to explain the in depth analysis of the situation is very clear, educated and concise. I would love him to do another video with current information and his future projections. Not as a forecast, however more of a statement on the situation we are all experiencing. 

I do remember Linus mentioning the mining rigs in some (server maintenance) video. He talked to Jake about it and said something like "oh hey the mining rigs, you promised to pay the power bill for..remember that Jake?"

So I do think they left it running after the video and didn't immediately tear it down, but not sure for how long they had been running.

It's in the hands of Jake though, very likely and not LMG.

Meaning that sharing the current profits and such would be a personal thing and not a work-related thing, so it'd depend on if Jake is fine with telling the profits from the system.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You can post video suggestions in:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

They gonna use them for Monero, wonder how much they got.

I've switched mine over to Folding 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

You can post video suggestions in:

There are about 2million posts here Im pretty sure they wont see my request LOL 

I always found it odd they kinda took mining seriously for about a month, making several videos about it, and then just never talking about it ever again outside of the wan show.

29 minutes ago, Darwing said:

There are about 2million posts here Im pretty sure they wont see my request LOL 

The thread is monitored, so they will see it. Better than posting random thread on random subforum. Whether they talk about it or revisit it, whole another thing. Linus has said he has 9000 lines worth of suggestions, and that most suggestions coming from community are crap.

PS. Your math is bit incorrect, but I take you are thinking of all posts that thread and its siblings have had since forum was created.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv