Can someone tell me if the HDR actually looks better?

Mr.Stork

Experiment to see if HDR looks better  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which screenshot is HDR?

• Picture 1
    • Picture 2

I'm doing a poll so I understand if the hdr is actually making the experience better. I bought a Lenovo Legion 5i, and idk if I like the HDR better than normal SDR

(NOTE: I DIDNT PIARET THESE, THESE ARE SAMPLES FROM FFMPEG: https://samples.ffmpeg.org/4khdr/)

Picture 1 Ahm:

Ahm.thumb.jpg.a306100a29e25e763ddd801e57ca06f3.jpg

Picture 2:

Asm.thumb.jpg.46c9fe11eaf04575e9f631fb5d48f1b9.jpg

Spoiler answer: Please vote in poll before reading spoiler

Spoiler

Picture 1 is the HDR screenshot which colors looks muted, but the SDR one looks kinda better probably as it has more contrast and brightness, thats why I made the poll, was the room supposed to look less contrasty?

Please explain if I should get HDR or SDR from now on

Can't really compare HDR to SDR looking at it on an SDR monitor.

~edit: To add a bit more detail: HDR monitors typically have 10 bit of color information per subpixel, compared to 8 bit for an HDR monitor. They also have a much higher maximum brightness. This means you get roughly 1.07 billion possible colors instead of 16.7 million for SDR. It also means you get higher contrast level (the difference between darkest and lightest color)

Looking at a still image with HDR content on an SDR monitor isn't really going to work, since the monitor can't show the extra detail. All of these "here's why HDR better" photos you see in ads are basically fake, by playing with contrast levels and colors to emulate the effect, because you can't show real HDR on a non-HDR monitor.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Doesn't seem like a very HDR contrast, HDR is hard to get right and it can be different for each content.

HDR should be better, when done "right" and having the right setup. If you have a lower grade of HDR too, or a useless grade, then HDR might not be worth it at all.

If HDR is worth it at all, until that and dolby vision actually has a market that is worth it for the general consumer.

skip parts in this video.

Spoiler

While Picture 2 does seem to pop more, its obviously over saturated, skin is almost pink and the pancakes almost neon yellow.

Picture 1 doesnt pop, but tones look more natural.

On a calibrated HDR TV with correct brightness etc, Picture 1 would likely look better imo.

On a uncalibrated SDR display however, picture 2 will likely look better to most.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

@Mr.Storkit's definitely possible to tell which one is hdr. 1 looks better on my sdr mon and 2 looks better on my hdr mon (i lowered the brightness since i sit close).

Some apps/games just have crappy hdr (most of the competitive shooters) and there isn't much to be done about that, some games do a good job of it and it does look better (sekiro, 2077), as for whether it's worth it, personal preference 

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

On 2/21/2021 at 11:15 PM, xg32 said:

@Mr.Storkit's definitely possible to tell which one is hdr. 1 looks better on my sdr mon and 2 looks better on my hdr mon (i lowered the brightness since i sit close).

Some apps/games just have crappy hdr (most of the competitive shooters) and there isn't much to be done about that, some games do a good job of it and it does look better (sekiro, 2077), as for whether it's worth it, personal preference 

Well that doesn't make sense, because if you read the spoiler in my post, it says pic 1 is the hdr screenshot, then why would pic 1 look good on SDR monitor and pic 2 on HDR.

You actually can download and test it yourselfI, I've added link to the ffmpeg samples

On 2/21/2021 at 9:44 PM, SolarNova said:

While Picture 2 does seem to pop more, its obviously over saturated, skin is almost pink and the pancakes almost neon yellow.

Picture 1 doesnt pop, but tones look more natural.

On a calibrated HDR TV with correct brightness etc, Picture 1 would likely look better imo.

On a uncalibrated SDR display however, picture 2 will likely look better to most.

Looking from my phone's screen, pic 1 looks wayy more natural, pic 2 just is so much more contrast than normal.

The problem is idk how the director wanted it to look, did they wanted it to pop or look natural, knowing that I would know if my laptop screen is actually hdr capable

On 2/21/2021 at 4:46 PM, Quackers101 said:

Doesn't seem like a very HDR contrast, HDR is hard to get right and it can be different for each content.

HDR should be better, when done "right" and having the right setup. If you have a lower grade of HDR too, or a useless grade, then HDR might not be worth it at all.

If HDR is worth it at all, until that and dolby vision actually has a market that is worth it for the general consumer.

skip parts in this video.

Hide contents

So how do I calibrate my laptop screen to make it look good? Legion 5i says it has full Adobe RGB idk if that's useful for HDR.

50 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

So how do I calibrate my laptop screen to make it look good? Legion 5i says it has full Adobe RGB idk if that's useful for HDR.

Don't know how accurate but something like this.

You don't always have to calibrate, but can improve a little if it was already calibrated (like adobe rgb) and you need tools for calibrating, and sometimes it might just lack in other areas that you likely can't get on a laptop. As more powerful displays use more power, if you have oled however, you might get some nice contrast etc, if you even want to go with oled displays.

Don't know if it detects when it uses or switches between sRGB and adobe, for that type of content.

image.jpeg.e99116b7a4559af5da2e25083cdb91fb.jpeg