Getting shocked by PC when standing on the floor.

ZeRedz
Just now, ZeRedz said:

I'm using an extension. The extension itself is surge protected too.

it could be that your extension isnt well grounded, has nothing to do with surge protection

i recommend you try plugging your computer directly into the wall to test if it's still happening, that the extension isnt grounded and not your house wiring (which would require an electrician to fix)

i dont recommend running your PSU without a ground as it's a safety hazard, not just because it can shock you, but I read somewhere that OCP (over current protection) wont work if there's no ground connected, which is quite concerning.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

it could be that your extension isnt well grounded, has nothing to do with surge protection

i recommend you try plugging your computer directly into the wall to test if it's still happening, that the extension isnt grounded and not your house wiring (which would require an electrician to fix)

i dont recommend running your PSU without a ground as it's a safety hazard, not just because it can shock you, but I read somewhere that OCP (over current protection) wont work if there's no ground connected, which is quite concerning.

Out of curiosity, wouldn't my PC at a bigger risk if I plug it directly into the socket? 

Just now, ZeRedz said:

Out of curiosity, wouldn't my PC at a bigger risk if I plug it directly into the socket? 

in term of surge protection, it might be at higher risk if it's during a thunderstorm, but your computer's PSU should have good protection for the rest of your components in place if it's a good unit. you can just plug it in to test for the time being, if it no longer shocks you then it's probably the extension and you can get it replaced.

in term of non-grounded, depends if it's your extension or the house wiring that is faulty

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

in term of surge protection, it might be at higher risk if it's during a thunderstorm, but your computer's PSU should have good protection for the rest of your components in place if it's a good unit. you can just plug it in to test for the time being, if it no longer shocks you then it's probably the extension and you can get it replaced.

in term of non-grounded, depends if it's your extension or the house wiring that is faulty

Not trying to annoy you or anything since I very much appreciate your answers, would it be safer if I just try another extension?

Just now, ZeRedz said:

Not trying to annoy you or anything since I very much appreciate your answers, would it be safer if I just try another extension?

sure, but who knows it might be non-grounded too

i found out that 2 of my 4 extensions arent well grounded when i tested with a multimeter

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yo, guys. Quick question, my outlet also has an option for a 2 pin plug. Should I just use that instead of the 3-pin or is that not going to change anything? At this point, I'm desperate.

This is a very common issue, you can simply take an empty plug, run a single wire from the ground (the top connector in the plug), and connect the other end of the wire to any of the screws of the PC case. This will discharge all the electricity from the case to the ground connector.

Example in the attached picture. The white plug has only one wire that is fixed to the top connector, which is the ground. And the single yellow wire runs to the NUC (which was shocking me because of the grounding issue) to one of the screws holding it.

IMG_20210222_120050.jpg