Getting shocked by PC when standing on the floor.

ZeRedz

So I was just standing barefoot on my floor which has tiles and I was getting slightly shocked by the I/O shield of my PC. When I decided to put on a rubber slippers. the shocking just went away. Like the I/O shield wasn't even shocking me anymore. Is my PC still at risk or whatever even if I'm not getting shocked? I know it seems like a stupid question, but I genuinely want to know.

it can short things? I mean it could turn off your PC depending on where you get the shock/static buildup from. (just don't do this on an SSD or so, and it will be a goner?). What is your specs, and like what PSU do you have?

4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

it can short things? I mean it could turn off your PC depending on where you get the shock/static buildup from. (just don't do this on an SSD or so, and it will be a goner?). What is your specs, and like what PSU do you have?

It's got a i7-7700, a RX 550(I know, pretty low tier GPU.), a Corsair VS450, two Western Digital Blue SSDs, and a H110M ASUS motherboard.

Just now, lewdicrous said:

What power plug/socket do you have/use? Like @Velcade mentioned, it's probably due to poor grounding, so it's being grounded through you.

It's a type G. 

2 minutes ago, ZeRedz said:

It's a type G. 

Plastic earth lead?

If not, check to see if the small tabs on the I/O shield are not poking into ports.

6 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Plastic earth lead?

If not, check to see if the small tabs on the I/O shield are not poking into ports.

I think it's worth mentioning that regardless of wherever I plug in my HyperX alloy keyboard( which has a metal body), I get a similar shock from the body when I'm standing on the floor barefoot. Like I even plugged it into one of the front USB ports of the PC case and I still got a slight shock.

Just now, ZeRedz said:

I think it's worth mentioning that regardless of wherever I plug in my HyperX alloy keyboard( which has a metal body), I get a similar shock from the body when I'm standing on the floor barefoot. Like I even plugged it into one of the front USB ports and I still got a slight shock.

I'd say this is a symptom of poor grounding; when you touch it when you're barefoot, the PC uses you as a lead to ground.

What's type G? The socket or the plug?

2 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

I'd say this is a symptom of poor grounding; when you touch it when you're barefoot, the PC uses you as a lead to ground.

What's type G? The socket or the plug?

The socket itself is type G. The plug is a 3-pin.

1 minute ago, Hakemon said:

It's definietly a grounding issue.  I use an XT Model F IBM keyboard and the bottom is metal.  My home is old and the outlets were originally 2 prong, but it was upgraded at one point to 3-prong with ALUMINUM wiring way back when.

My home office had a grounding fault, somewhere the ground wire snapped, and then the keyboard, computer case, and ground pin on the outlet capacitively coupled and got pulled up to 50v, which means the computer had 50v potential on the case, along with the keyboard.  When I grabbed the keyboard to put it on my lap I got a 50v shock as a result.

Call an electrician, no joke.  Get this checked ASAP by a professional.  No way would a PSU be putting power on the ground, and even if it was, if the ground in your home was working properly, it wouldn't have affected you anyway.  So please get an electrician.

You know, I actually called an electrical engineer who's currently working for the project that my apartment's a part of. Basically, I was told to consult him regarding the whole grounding issue and the fucking moron told me to put something under the fucking PC so it wouldn't shock me. Like even the fucking electrician that was sent couldn't figure out it was a grounding issue. I can't move either.

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Call an electrician. If it is sparking, I suggest you to turn it off and disconnect it from the socket, specially if you have carpet/curtain nearby. 
The socket could also be wired incorrectly (live and neutral got switched). 

There's no sparking or anything.

4 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

Like a doctor, "get a second opinion".  Just because you're in an apartment doesn't mean you can't have it inspected.  😉

I wanted to add that I used my keyboard while having it plugged into my laptop while it was charging and I didn't feel any kind of shock. Does that mean there's an issue with the PC's PSU?

Oi mate!

Type G is used in UK so I assume you live there.

You can try to test your socket by yourself, BUT ON YOUR OWN RISK!!! If you have never anything to do with electricity stop reading.

Take a multimeter, set it to 500 or more volts AC and check outlet as it is shown below. There are 3 point of contact. Live, neutral and ground. As I show below in first part, when there is connection between live and neutral there should be 240V in UE, 120 V in US, etc.
Second part is between ground and neutral, there should be no voltage.
And last part between live and ground. It should be exactly or almost exactly the same. If there is any major difference there is problem with your ground.

Another common problem is shorting neutral and ground in outlets(yes some idiots do this). But to check that you need to turn off breakers, check with multimeter if there is no more electricity in your outlet and unscrew it. There should be 3 cables connected to the outlet.

Or you can call British version of Brian the electrician 🙂

outlet.png

Edited by WaitWhaaaaat
bad grammar

10 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

You mean TN-C? At least here, it is allowed by the standards if the neutral is grounded and the conductors have twice the amperage rating of the live conductor.

No i mean situation where there are only two cables running to outlet, live and neutral. And ground and neutral are connected directly via short piece of wire. There is no ground wire or is not connected at all.

groundxD.png

*finds out the grounding for his house is what is the real cause*

oh nvm, hopefully you found out what is the problem.

Jayztwocents with a lot of static buildup

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

use a humidifier.

Isn't that bad for electronics too? I guess it depends on the humidity it creates?

Just now, gabrielcarvfer said:

That is what TN-C is. Didn't think on translating it. Ground (Terra in pt) to Neutral - Combined (same cable). 

I called my friend, real electrician. Turns out i'm an idiot 🙂 yes TN-C is allowed and used in old type electrical system.
There are numbers of problems with it and one if it can actually cause some voltage on ground pin.

He also suggest dry air during winter may cause charging of your body and that may cause sparks towards grounded equipment like computer case.

4 hours ago, WaitWhaaaaat said:

Oi mate!

Type G is used in UK so I assume you live there.

You can try to test your socket by yourself, BUT ON YOUR OWN RISK!!! If you have never anything to do with electricity stop reading.

Take a multimeter, set it to 500 or more volts AC and check outlet as it is shown below. There are 3 point of contact. Live, neutral and ground. As I show below in first part, when there is connection between live and neutral there should be 240V in UE, 120 V in US, etc.
Second part is between ground and neutral, there should be no voltage.
And last part between live and ground. It should be exactly or almost exactly the same. If there is any major difference there is problem with your ground.

Another common problem is shorting neutral and ground in outlets(yes some idiots do this). But to check that you need to turn off breakers, check with multimeter if there is no more electricity in your outlet and unscrew it. There should be 3 cables connected to the outlet.

Or you can call British version of Brian the electrician 🙂

outlet.png

I genuinely appreciate your post, but I sadly do not live in the UK. If I did, I would've just called an electrician. The electricians here are so incompetent. 

Yo, guys since, for some God awful reason, electricians are out of the question. What can I do to effectively ground the PC? Any tips?

I forgot to mention that when I touch my case, I don't get a static shock. It's just the I/O shield that gives me a static shock. Does this still mean my outlet has a grounding issue or could it be something else?

Are you using an extension or straight into the wall?

Is it a very old housing? Try another socket etcetc

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

psu -> mobo, could be a bad port on motherboard connected or in contact with it. although unsure, since the case is fine?

are you using a lot in the back port?

12 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Are you using an extension or straight into the wall?

Is it a very old housing? Try another socket etcetc

I'm using an extension. The extension itself is surge protected too.

12 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

psu -> mobo, could be a bad port on motherboard connected or in contact with it. although unsure, since the case is fine?

are you using a lot in the back port?

Nope, barely using the backport.