Best language for Rent tracking program

Xa3phod

Hey folks. I used to code way back in the 80's, but pretty much stopped way back in 86' I really haven't tried any coding since then and I doubt programming in COBOL, Fortran, or Assembly is what I am looking to do. I would like to make my own rental tracking program to keep track of rent received from investment units. Also want to be able to have others access the records over the web. I would like to be able to also add notes and basic math. I currently do this on a spreadsheet, but I find it very limited.

So, which language should I learn to write this software? I think my background will help me relearn to code quickly. There are so many to choose from like Python or Java. I am open to anything, but obviously, easier the better. I don't want to do Assembly again.

Thanks

what are you finding limited about it? and why do you you think remaking in something else will over come these limitations?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

The easiest would probably be PHP and a SQLite or mySQL/mariaDB database

Implement a basic username/password system - an administrator (you) which can add records, edit , delete records   and maybe make user/password for each renter to view its status.

later on you could add ability to upload or download pdf invoices / receipts for rent and stuff like that , post news items to everyone and so on.

Easiest is to buy that software as it will also do your taxes and track expense at the end of the year or 3 months and it will cost for about 45-50$. that's everything for barely the equivalent of 1 hours salary.

That's funny, I've got some old TRS-80 model 2 programs I wrote in Basic back in the day to track rental property 🙂

I'd say if you're up for the challenge, Python is a good language and there's a ton of libraries that do all kinds of stuff. It's fairly readable and maintainable. And environments like Jupyter Notebook make it easy and fun!

On 2/16/2021 at 8:04 AM, mariushm said:

The easiest would probably be PHP and a SQLite or mySQL/mariaDB database

Implement a basic username/password system - an administrator (you) which can add records, edit , delete records   and maybe make user/password for each renter to view its status.

later on you could add ability to upload or download pdf invoices / receipts for rent and stuff like that , post news items to everyone and so on.

This ultimately is the solution if you want to write it yourself and put in on the web. Please know there are a lot of security concerns especially if there is any sensitive data.

The last thing you want to do is get yourself in any hot water which is why I would personally try to find a pre-canned suite first.