What is a lot of money to you?

Surprisingly hard to answer but I would go with a sum that I'm incapable of aquiring in my lifetime by normal means.

As others have said, It depends on what the money is going towards, and where it came from.

100k for a house is cheap where I live, but 100k on a car is a fair amount of money.

If I earnt more per year than I currently do, then I'd see money to have less value, as I'd have more of it. If I earnt less money, then I'd view money to have a higher value, as I'd have less of it.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, CircleTech said:

5 million. 

5 million is enough for me to buy a house where I live and invest the rest in blue-chip stocks and live off the dividends without ever touching the principal.

That was the number in 2000.  Not sure what it would be now though.  Maybe double that

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Quite interesting topic, because the perception of money in the western world and the rest of the world is so different. When I was in Indonesia, I realized that 1.000.000 Rupiah (like $70) in their currency is considered a lot of money and every foreigner on holiday there is considered rich. Then there's the super rich there who have so much money they can live in crazy mansions and drive supercars. I think you might know the movie Crazy Rich Asians.

Anyway, back to Europa and USA. It's different for us all, but let's say you're a student. $100 can be a lot for some, but normal to others. It also depends on your hobbies, spending habits, etc. 

Funnily it reminds me of a recent Linus Tech Tips video where he showed off a average BUDGET build which is $1000. Maybe you get average parts for that money, but the word budget is a opinion here, not a statement. $1000 is normal for a gaming PC, but not in the eyes of a console gamer or someone who would work hard for it and buy something useless to someone else, like fancy clothes or use a 5-star hotel for a single night.

In my own opinion as for our PC building hobby, I still think above $500 for a GPU is too much. Then again, I don't have a fulltime job yet, so that's why it's like that. In my eyes I would rather spend $500 on a PS5 or Xbox Series X than just a single PC component. On the other hand I'm weird saying this, since I use a Asus ROG Strix high-refresh rate monitor like Linus. lol

it really depends on many factors.

I live in Italy, my income is considered "low to average" but I can still maintain a relatively hassle-free life style.
I know for a fact incomes in Switzerland (which is literally 45 minutes away by car) are three times ours AT LEAST, but the Swiss have to pay a lot more on taxes and public services: I know people earning something like 5000€ per month and having trouble keeping up.
On the other hand, a friend of mine moved to Czech Republic years ago, his income is half of mine yet he could buy a car and a house in the center of Prague: I would never be able to do that with the same amount of money in my country.
So it's all relative.
That being said, I simply refuse to pay more than 250 / 300 euros for a PC part, regardless of how worth it would be performance wise. When I built myself a new PC, I paid around 600€ TOTAL, including tax, shipping et al. It suits me fine, I don't NEED anything more than what I have right now and it would be stupid to spend double just to say "I have the better CPU". I try to buy parts that are balanced and have real value for money.
I COULD spend more but it wouldn't be smart. Better keep some money available in case of unexpected expenses.

Anyways, to me "a lot of money" right now could be 50000€, 'cause I never had that much money all at once in my entire life.
If you asked me the same question 20 years ago when I was jobless, I'd have said 2000€...

MAIN PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming | RAM: 16Gb DDR4 Patriot Viper 4 3200 | GPU: XFX RX580 4Gb GTS | Case: Sharkoon S25-W | Storage: M.2 NVME Adata Gammix S10 128Gb + SATA SSD WD Blue 1Tb | ODD: LG GH24NSD1 | PSU: Seasonic Core GM-500 | Display: AOC I2490PXQU | Cooler: Wraith Stealth | Keyboard: Logitech K120 | Mouse: Logitech B100 | Sound: the usual integrated Realtek | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

RETRO PC: CPU: AMD Athlon 64 2800+ | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M | RAM: 2Gb DDR 800 | GPU: ATi Radeon 9600 Pro 128Mb | Case: Tacens Anima AC4500 | Storage: IDE WD Blue 80Gb + IDE DVD-RW drive + floppy drive | Sound: Terratec 128i ESS Solo-1 PCI | OS: Windows 98 SE + Windows XP SP3 + Linux Bionic Pup 32
HTPC: CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | Motherboard: AsRock B450M-HDV R4.0 | RAM: 16Gb DDR4 G.Skill Aegis 3200 | Case: Aerocool CS-101 | Storage: SATA SSD Silicon Power A55 256Gb | ODD: LG blu-ray WH14NS40 | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

• 3 weeks later...

It's a matter of perspective. I'd have a really hard time bringing myself to spend more than $150 on a GPU, but I didn't bat an eye when I had the opportunity to buy a pair of non-functioning Quested active monitors for $1000. I'd hazard a guess that most people here would not be willing to spend that much on a pair of active speakers, especially ones with a blown amplifier, but a lot of people here would have no problem spending a whole lot more than $150 on a GPU.

Here's another question to pose: Is it worth it to spend $400 on a PC from 1995? My guess is that most people here would say "absolutely not".

Now let me rephrase that question: Is it worth it to spend $400 on an old PC to keep a $400,000 CNC machine from 1995 operational? Your answer may be rather different.