Unable to Get Refresh Rate Above 95Hz

dwebber23

I was lucky enough to get my hands on an LG 27GN950-B, which is a major upgrade over my previous monitors. One of the things that I'm most excited about is that I can finally go above 60Hz and experience how that feels within gaming. The issue I'm having however is that from my display settings, the only options I have are 60Hz and 95Hz (for which I can't really feel much of a difference). Below are all the parts involved as reference:

• Display: LG 27GN950-B
  • Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (16:9)
  • Graphics Card: ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti

I'm connecting via DisplayPort, which Asus notes that my ports should be 1.4 to support these higher refresh rates. I've tried multiple different DisplayPort cables I could find (granted, they were in my random box of wires, so no clue how old or quality they are). I also used the included DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor. It had a sticker denoting "5k" on it, and I'm assuming it would do what I needed it to since they would want to show off how good their product is. In all of my testing and playing, I've not seen a change in the refresh rates given to me. I feel like I'm just missing something silly, and I can pretty well guarantee my answer is listed in some other post, but I did try digging through a whole bunch, and none of the suggestions I found seemed to help me. I did make sure that I had the latest version of my graphics driver installed.

I was able to get HDR going, and G-Sync is enabled. I've also tried toggling through all combinations of those being enabled and disabled, and still no dice. 

Any suggestions to help me finally get some higher refresh rate gaming going? (I do have some VESA certified HBR3 DisplayPort cables coming just in case the cables are still at fault somehow, needed a little bit longer ones anyways).

4 minutes ago, dwebber23 said:

I was lucky enough to get my hands on an LG 27GN950-B, which is a major upgrade over my previous monitors. One of the things that I'm most excited about is that I can finally go above 60Hz and experience how that feels within gaming. The issue I'm having however is that from my display settings, the only options I have are 60Hz and 95Hz (for which I can't really feel much of a difference). Below are all the parts involved as reference:

• Display: LG 27GN950-B
  • Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (16:9)
  • Graphics Card: ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti

I'm connecting via DisplayPort, which Asus notes that my ports should be 1.4 to support these higher refresh rates. I've tried multiple different DisplayPort cables I could find (granted, they were in my random box of wires, so no clue how old or quality they are). I also used the included DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor. It had a sticker denoting "5k" on it, and I'm assuming it would do what I needed it to since they would want to show off how good their product is. In all of my testing and playing, I've not seen a change in the refresh rates given to me. I feel like I'm just missing something silly, and I can pretty well guarantee my answer is listed in some other post, but I did try digging through a whole bunch, and none of the suggestions I found seemed to help me. I did make sure that I had the latest version of my graphics driver installed.

I was able to get HDR going, and G-Sync is enabled. I've also tried toggling through all combinations of those being enabled and disabled, and still no dice. 

Any suggestions to help me finally get some higher refresh rate gaming going? (I do have some VESA certified HBR3 DisplayPort cables coming just in case the cables are still at fault somehow, needed a little bit longer ones anyways).

What refresh rate is set in the nvidia control panel?

@Latvian Video - From the Nvidia control panel is where it's only giving me the options for 60Hz and 95Hz. I currently have it set to 95Hz because why not, but no matter how I've played with settings everywhere so far, nothing else shows as available to me.

3 hours ago, dwebber23 said:

dp1.4 on the 1080ti is limited to 4k 98fps with hdr on, seems like ur monitor supports 95fps, turn off hdr and u can go up to 120hz. The HDMI 2,0 on the 1080ti will limit it even more, just use 4k/120hz hdr off gsync imho.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

Thanks @xg32. Yeah, I definitely am looking to get a better graphics card to drive this thing a bit better. I did try with HDR disabled, and I am still only given 60Hz and 95Hz as my refresh rate options, both windows Windows Advanced Graphics Settings and Nvidia Control Panel. I would love to get at least 4k/120Hz w/ G-Sync working like you said, but still coming up empty in my playing with this.

Thanks for replying @Glenwing! Yeah, I had tried disabling HDR and setting it down to 8, but still no higher options available to me:

image.thumb.png.8ba4972e957e3f0c78f3d3ea2a84d4e7.png

I was not aware that Pascal cards didn't support DSC, so thanks very much for that information. I just made the assumption of "It tells me this is a DP1.4 port, so it supports DSC", but that makes sense as to why that's pretty limited. That shows my need to get a new graphics card to really get the value from this monitor.

• 5 months later...

Just in case anyone happens to come across this thread, I did eventually come across the solution. It was a setting on my monitor itself. There is a setting for it's DP version (1.2, 1.4 or 1.4(DSC)) that I had not come across. It was set to 1.4(DSC) by default, but as noted above, my pascal card doesn't support this. I changed this to DP1.4, and the option for 120Hz became available right away. I was doing everything right in Windows, and should have checked the monitor side of the equation sooner.

• 10 months later...
On 7/15/2021 at 10:00 PM, dwebber23 said:

Just in case anyone happens to come across this thread, I did eventually come across the solution. It was a setting on my monitor itself. There is a setting for it's DP version (1.2, 1.4 or 1.4(DSC)) that I had not come across. It was set to 1.4(DSC) by default, but as noted above, my pascal card doesn't support this. I changed this to DP1.4, and the option for 120Hz became available right away. I was doing everything right in Windows, and should have checked the monitor side of the equation sooner.

Thanks, this helped me. I recently got a c2 42 and moved this same monitor to my wife's rig with a 1080ti and was wondering what was up. If anyone else can't see this option you might first need to general settings in the monitor and hit reset to initial settings then you should be able to do this.