Why do people care so much about Tesla cars?

I dont see them any differently than other cars. So what they are powered by batterys? How does that make a difference in the way it should be sold?

In my opinion, they should be sold like any other car. I agree with the car dealers in New Jersey.

Is it because you have been told that Elon Musk is a good person?

Is it because they are electric?

It's because the dealership will sometimes rip you off, let friends have them dirt cheap and tell you lies

I dont see them any differently than other cars. So what they are powered by batterys? How does that make a difference in the way it should be sold?

In my opinion, they should be sold like any other car. I agree with the car dealers in New Jersey.

Is it because you have been told that Elon Musk is a good person?

Is it because they are electric?

have you seen a Tesla? They are really modern , with some wow-features that impress the non-techies and make the owner feel good. Also, their performance in terms of speed and range is really good. Also, the Tesla model S looks stunning!

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

It's because it's cool. 

Cool Factor > Reason

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's because the dealership will sometimes rip you off, let friends have them dirt cheap and tell you lies

That sounds like a generic problem with sales people, not specific to car dealerships.

Because they're fucking silent, modern and sexy

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

It's because they are the best electric car on the market and are sold differently than other cars. Let alone that they look awesome.

I think that a company that sells cars can do whatever the hell they want to sell them. We are so stuck on old ways.

And we don't have to be "told" he's a good person, people can make their own opinions you know. It's like at every turn you find a way to make people into sheep who can't think for themselves and are shielded by their government.

Their successfully bringing something different to the table where a real alternative has been lacking. It's innovation in the car industry that's actually pulling through and making steps that can legitimately compete and be compared with our standard cars.  

I don't just think Elon Musk is a good person off the back, in fact I viewed the guy as just another businessman when I initially learned about it. I bought their stock and studied the shit outta Tesla, and Elon Musk and I've come to the conclusion the guys a a friggan genius engineer thats moving in the right direction for pushing new tech progress. 

As for how the cars sold.... I'm sure there are tons of people on the forums who can tell you why. If I were to explain it'd take up a whole page... auto dealers this and auto dealers that..... and laws and regulations for car selling... why you should do this why you shouldn't.... But the stance people have about auto dealers banning tesla sales not being good is reasonable and logical. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

The reason dealerships in New Jersey wants to enforce car dealerships on Tesla is to put financial pressure on them. Right now all Tesla's cost the same, you order online and it is delivered, the only reason for the stores is to check out the cars and talk to employees who are knowledgeable and scheduled a test drive, Tesla has no need for a dealership. If Tesla had to have dealerships it would drive the cost of the car up, thus making traditional  cars more attractive, and why car dealerships are putting financial/political pressure on state governments to outlaw Tesla style car sales. They are doing it to inhibit competition. We as customers should be demanding more competition not less. In this case (regardless of the car itself) we  the consumer should be backing Tesla.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

The reason dealerships in New Jersey wants to enforce car dealerships on Tesla is to put financial pressure on them. Right now all Tesla's cost the same, you order online and it is delivered, the only reason for the stores is to check out the cars and talk to employees who are knowledgeable and scheduled a test drive, Tesla has no need for a dealership. If Tesla had to have dealerships it would drive the cost of the car up, thus making traditional  cars more attractive, and why car dealerships are putting financial/political pressure on state governments to outlaw Tesla style car sales. They are doing it to inhibit competition. We as customers should be demanding more competition not less. In this case (regardless of the car itself) we  the consumer should be backing Tesla.

I'm not particularly familiar with the whole Tesla distribution issue in some US states, but 

BUT

why don't the big manufacturers do something similar then? Or lower their prices to match Tesla?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Correct more competition the better for the economy. Inhibiting competition makes me angry.... It doesn't push companies to improve upon their product as much as they can because they don't have to compete as much. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

They're the future, and they are bringing huge innovation to the entire auto industry (incl dealerships), the likes of which we haven't seen since basically the model T. They're driving true capitalism, innovation, design, and competition in a way we haven't seen in automobiles in a very long time.

I mean, the tesla literally broke the safety testing machine when they tried to crush it from the top. Thats pushing the envelope.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

because they are the future. There wont be any gas left in 50years.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Because its now hip....and the dealerships are full or twats sometimes.  Electric cars are not the future, hydrogen fuel cells powering cars are. well imo

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I'm not particularly familiar with the whole Tesla distribution issue in some US states, but 

BUT

why don't the big manufacturers do something similar then? Or lower their prices to match Tesla?

Lowering prices would hurt their profit margin quite a bit, and Research and Development for a car that can actively compete with Tesla would cost alot. Elon Musk actually wants big companies to make alternatives that can compete with the Model S, he wants to see new tech being used. 

Lowering prices wouldn't guarantee more sales either, estimated marginal profit from lowering prices doesn't seem like a huge gain. Car markets from other countries along with car part manufacturers would also be effected.

Lowering prices would hurt their profit margin quite a bit, and Research and Development for a car that can actively compete with Tesla would cost alot. Elon Musk actually wants big companies to make alternatives that can compete with the Model S, he wants to see new tech being used. 

Lowering prices wouldn't guarantee more sales either, estimated marginal profit from lowering prices doesn't seem like a huge gain. Car marrkets from other countries along with car part manufacturers would also be effected.

I want Audi or BMW to make a Tesla equivalent. I hope the i series of BMW are anywhere close. I would love a Tesla, but it's not German :( .

Spoiler

I want Audi or BMW to make a Tesla equivalent. I hope the i series of BMW are anywhere close. I would love a Tesla, but it's not German :( .

*shrugs* I wouldn't matter to me what country of origin the cars from, as long as the build quality and function is better. 

They're electric (saving the future), they look cool compared to other brands like Think and Smart (tiny little shits no one wants to be seen driving around) and car dealers are massive cunts 90% of the time. 

They fix everything that's wrong with cars, apart from the price, which apparently is twice to five times higher than average if I'm correct. 

Just wait people are going to argue with you about how making the electric car does more harm to the environment just wait I know its gonna happen. Though it may in fact harm the environment, their still pushing for ways to make it more environment friendly for the future.(Solar Panels installed on supercharger stations)

Twice the price? That's because the Model S is a luxury car lol, it competes with other luxury cars. Model X is going to be more consumer price friendly. 

*shrugs* I wouldn't matter to me what country of origin the cars from, as long as the build quality and function is better. 

Unfortunately, German cars do work better than others in same price range from my experience. Some "import" cars are just cheap plasticky POS. 

Of course, it's also down to personal preference, I'd much rather drive an EV with The Four Rings on the hood than something else. 

Spoiler

I think Teslas are cool and all, but I think they have quite a ways to go for saving the planet when most of our electricity still comes from fossil fuels anyway. I think some sort of biofuel produced from algae would be the best way forward, because at least the infrastructure's already in place. *shrug*

I think they're neat, but I'm not about to go out and buy one.

BUT

It is currently illegal due to much older laws where the car dealerships pushed through bills forcing manufacturers to only sell cars in a given area through one dealership, that is in most states it is illegal to have two competing Ford dealerships in the same area. Essentially the dealerships were once again trying to keep out direct competition. Now, because of the total money they make as well as the total number of employees they have the dealerships are able to put a lot of political pressure on both republicans and democrats to keep out the 'new' form of competition. That is to say that they realize that if this business model works well for Tesla, there is nothing to stop Ford and GM and Toyota from trying the same thing, which while it would be good for a consumer, it would be bad for the dealership. They are also afraid because much of the revenue that dealerships receive comes from repairs, Tesla's use very simple electric motors that don't need much maintenance and can diagnose and fix many problems through software alone thus eliminating the need for the dealership to have a repair shop. Further because Tesla structures their stores similar to an Apple store (regardless of the product, Apple is the gold standard for retail consumer electronics) they are able to ensure that their customers have a good, high quality experience that is the same in each store, this worries dealerships as there is a ton of variation in sales quality even between two salesmen at the same dealership. While Tesla does not currently have enough market share to realistically threaten the status quo, dealerships are worried that the popularity of their business model will render the traditional dealership obsolete.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

-snip-

Dang you covered it really well here mate. Good job!

Fully electric cars are the biggest innovation in the industry since automatic transmission. Imagine when everyone drives electric cars fuelled by solar/nuclear/geothermal power, 0 greenhouse emissions. No one seems to care that apple sells straight to consumers...

Why does it matter what way they are sold? Thats a bit like say no you cant buy this online you have to come and get in person.

I don't even know wtf is a tesla car...

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue