PC turns off when i start games

Huwster

Hey, 5 days ago I got my first gaming PC, the first couple of days it worked flawlessly, great graphics in game, no complaints, but these past few days as soon as I start up a game after about 5-30 seconds my PC turns off and hard restarts. It doesnt do it every time, sometimes it works fine but most of the time this issue occurs. Could someone help me with this issue or direct me to somewhere I can try and get to the bottom of the problem, thanks.

Here are my PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£300.93 @ Newegg UK) 
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£133.37 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£89.88 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£93.20 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB SUPRIM Video Card  (£659.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh White w/ Controller ATX Mid Tower Case  (£91.49 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£78.99 @ AWD-IT) 

And the issue occurs when I play call of duty warzone or call of duty cold war. It works fine when I load up CSGO or Valorant. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

38 minutes ago, Bartandroid123 said:

That power supply is a little low wattage for a 3070 and a 5600x

I was just about to say that @Bartandroid123..

Technically it should be able to run @Huwster's config, but.. that's what usually happens when the PSU can't handle the demand of your system.

Unsure though, but I'd say it could be the PSU..

2 hours ago, Huwster said:

Hey, 5 days ago I got my first gaming PC, the first couple of days it worked flawlessly, great graphics in game, no complaints, but these past few days as soon as I start up a game after about 5-30 seconds my PC turns off and hard restarts. It doesnt do it every time, sometimes it works fine but most of the time this issue occurs. Could someone help me with this issue or direct me to somewhere I can try and get to the bottom of the problem, thanks.

Here are my PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£300.93 @ Newegg UK) 
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£133.37 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£89.88 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£93.20 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB SUPRIM Video Card  (£659.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh White w/ Controller ATX Mid Tower Case  (£91.49 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£78.99 @ AWD-IT) 

And the issue occurs when I play call of duty warzone or call of duty cold war. It works fine when I load up CSGO or Valorant. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

It could be a power issue, but that wouldn't be my first guess.  650w is certainly a little low, but it is a very good power supply.  When the PC turns off, does it just snap off like the power cord was pulled from the wall outlet?

Check to see if the Power supply is getting enough air.  Make sure the air intake is not being blocked, make sure the fan is spinning.  Also make sure the PC isn't sitting on carpet, that can also block air intake for the power supply.

1 hour ago, gal-m said:

Technically it should be able to run @Huwster's config, but.. that's what usually happens when the PSU can't handle the demand of your system.

Thanks for the reply. What sort of PSU would you recommend me getting to ensure the PSU is up to scratch and not the issue?

40 minutes ago, 1982 Original said:

It could be a power issue, but that wouldn't be my first guess.  650w is certainly a little low, but it is a very good power supply.  When the PC turns off, does it just snap off like the power cord was pulled from the wall outlet?

Check to see if the Power supply is getting enough air.  Make sure the air intake is not being blocked, make sure the fan is spinning.  Also make sure the PC isn't sitting on carpet, that can also block air intake for the power supply.

Yeah exactly that snaps off then reboots its self instantly after shutting off. Its sitting on a wooden floor in quiet and open space 

1 hour ago, Huwster said:

Thanks for the reply. What sort of PSU would you recommend me getting to ensure the PSU is up to scratch and not the issue?

If you do buy a new power supply, 750w would be ideal.  Honestly, another Corsair TX unit would be good.  Try to buy from some place with a good return policy.  There is a chance that it's not a power supply issue.  Hopefully that solves the problem, I would hate to spend $100 on a new unit just to find out that it wasn't the issue.

Other things I would also try:

Remove any overclocks to the CPU, GPU, and RAM.

Uninstall the Graphics Drivers using DDU in safe mode.  Then re-install them with the latest downloads.

Verify the game installs to make sure the files aren't corrupted.

18 hours ago, gal-m said:

Ik that, im more thinking about the current spikes triggering a lower wattage psu over current protection

20 hours ago, Bartandroid123 said:

That power supply is a little low wattage for a 3070 and a 5600x...

A "little" low is a bit of an understatement. His particular GPU recommends a 750 watt power supply. I'm sure that special someone somewhere told him 650 watts is enough and that recommended wattage given by the manufacturer should be ignored. 🙃.....Its what I ALWAYS hear from some jerkoff nerd, and its quite annoying. 

Link: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3070-SUPRIM-X-8G/Specification

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

43 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

A "little" low is a bit of an understatement. His particular GPU recommends a 750 watt power supply. I'm sure that special someone somewhere told him 650 watts is enough and that recommended wattage given by the manufacturer should be ignored. 🙃.....Its what I ALWAYS hear from some jerkoff nerd, and its quite annoying. 

Link: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/GeForce-RTX-3070-SUPRIM-X-8G/Specification

Theoreticly its fine but please read my last reply

4 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

I also don't get why people have a BUY AS LOW WATTAGE PSU AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN BECAUSE EVERYTHING ELSE IS WAAAAY OVERKILL fetish.

I really, REALLY don't get that. A PSU is usually most efficient at like 30-70% load anyways (I'm being VERY general), so not sure why someone would ever want to run theirs at the absolute max, but people on this forum especially have a tendency of recommending very low wattage PSU's for some reason @BlackManINC and keep telling other people what they "don't need".

22 hours ago, Huwster said:

What sort of PSU would you recommend me getting to ensure the PSU is up to scratch and not the issue?

I'd recommend an 850W PSU. It's going to be within spec of what you're trying to do, stay relatively cool and most importantly, quiet @Huwster.

Maybe something like a Corsair RM850x. Also, there usually isn't a big price difference when going from 750W to 850W and even if there was, I'd go for the 850W any day of the week with your config, but that's just me.

4 hours ago, gal-m said:

I also don't get why people have a BUY AS LOW WATTAGE PSU AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN BECAUSE EVERYTHING ELSE IS WAAAAY OVERKILL fetish.

I really, REALLY don't get that. A PSU is usually most efficient at like 30-70% load anyways (I'm being VERY general), so not sure why someone would ever want to run theirs at the absolute max, but people on this forum especially have a tendency of recommending very low wattage PSU's for some reason @BlackManINC and keep telling other people what they "don't need".

Toms Hardware is even worse with that spiel. You'd think they would have some sense considering it is one of the most used websites people go to for power supply reviews next to perhaps Jonnyguru. They tell people this nonsense, and then wonder why they come back complaining about power related issues. 🙃...When they recommend a certain wattage, it is for a reason. They wouldn't tell you if it wasn't important. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10