Why do people think you need crazy amounts of power for a single gpu.

tryphaa

Can we please stop this nonsense about needing like 650w for a 4770k and a 780? 500w is fine. It really just annoys me that you people think you need all this fancy stuff to power a single gpu.

Do you guys even know what TDP is?

This isn't aimed at everyone, of course.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

I have a 550W Plat PSU(also,the fans don't spin till it reaches a certain temperature)which can output 650W!

Huehuehue.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Because some people overclock, people have hard drives, fans, lights, usb devices

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Because everyone will go dual GPU in the future.

It's a fact.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Wow, so brave. Too much power is better than to little.

"The internet is a series of tubes"

Because some people overclock, people have hard drives, fans, lights, usb devices

That's at most like 50w extra.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

This has been bothering me as well. Kinda like those people who always claim you need 16gb of ram for gaming.

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.

That's often the case with new builders (I was guilty of it too). For my first build I got an XFX 750W for a non overclocked CPU and a single mid tier graphics card. 

I think because it's a higher number that somehow they assume it's better, or they'd rather  have too much than not enough. What they don't realize yet is that their power supply is running less efficient than it could.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Power consumption has gone down so much lately with the latter generation of GPU/CPU's. The old components seem like power hungry monsters compared to the later components  :D

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

That's often the case with new builders (I was guilty of it too). For my first build I got an XFX 750W for a non overclocked CPU and a single mid tier graphics card. 

I think because it's a higher number that somehow they assume it's better, or they'd rather  have too much than not enough. What they don't realize yet is that their power supply is running less efficient than it could.

I get that if you're new, but I'm talking about people on here that have a ton of posts and who (i assume) have some knowledge of tech.

I am extremelly offended by this post, and afterwards, i am going to go cry in a corner. no.

Btw, newsflash, 650w is better than 500w for this setup. Closer to 50% load when oc.

And your signiture is ridiculus. Reflects what a smartass you are. So does this nonsence post.

it's always good to have some extra power not a lot but 50W extra that you may need for overclocking of stuff like that plus it's not good ruining you power supply at 100% full capacities

Manners Maketh Man

I am extremelly offended by this post, and afterwards, i am going to go cry in a corner. no.

Btw, newsflash, 650w is better than 500w for this setup.

And your signiture is ridiculus. Reflects what a smartass you are. So does this nonsence post.

<3 I'm glad. I love you too.

I'd go as far as saying a quality 400W PSU could power a 4770K and a 780.

But it's not about cutting the exact wattage for your system. People want some headroom. It's also better to buy a PSU that draws about 50-60% of it's wattage, when the PC is at full load, because that's where the maximum efficiency for PSUs sits. Also the fans don't spin up etc.

It's just more relaxed and efficient with some headroom.

who cares...

I get that if you're new, but I'm talking about people on here that have a ton of posts and who (i assume) have some knowledge of tech.

And that's why you'd merely be assuming.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

<3 I'm glad. I love you too.

-snip-

Lets not start something that didn't need to happens guys! x.x

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I wouldn't be that harsh, but in deed, that's not the first thread about, 'what wattage do we really need to power system xyz?'

who cares...

Because everyone will go dual GPU in the future.

It's a fact.

The wise people buy a better single card unless they have one of the best cards then is the time to SLI/Crossfire.

That's at most like 50w extra.

Have you ever overclocked?

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I wouldn't be that harsh, but in deed, that's not the first thread about, 'what wattage do we really need to power system xyz?'

This post wasn't meant to ask how much power you need for a 4770k and 780, more so saying people are recommending ridiculous things that aren't needed.

You'll be surprised.... there are a bunch of people who have tons of posts but the quality to quantity and knowledge level of said user isn't very high...

EDIT: you are on a tech forum with a bunch of members that are young after all. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

The wise people buy a better single card unless they have one of the best cards then is the time to SLI/Crossfire.

I think/hope he meant it ironically. :D

who cares...

This post wasn't meant to ask how much power you need for a 4770k and 780, more so saying people are recommending ridiculous things that aren't needed.

Sorry if i said it worng but that's what i meant. This is not the first thread about this.

who cares...