Is water really the best?

i guess it wasn't that obvious but i was joking about the expensive bottles of water and gold and silver tubing.

also on another note, if you do glass tubes, you don't bend them, you buy them pre build or you do bends with fittings only.

1 hour ago, Edmond Dantes said:

i guess it wasn't that obvious but i was joking about the expensive bottles of water and gold and silver tubing.

also on another note, if you do glass tubes, you don't bend them, you buy them pre build or you do bends with fittings only.

You're the guy who wanted to do radiating tubing, so I guess no, it wasn't very obvious.

There are numerous people on this forum who have attempted self-bent glass tubing with a decent amount of success

14 minutes ago, For Science! said:

You're the guy who wanted to do radiating tubing, so I guess no, it wasn't very obvious.

There are numerous people on this forum who have attempted self-bent glass tubing with a decent amount of success

lol. definitely they can bend it themselves. but what im talking about is plug and play. you just buy the parts, slap it on sorta like the radial tubes

Just now, Edmond Dantes said:

lol. definitely they can bend it themselves. but what im talking about is plug and play. you just buy the parts, slap it on sorta like the radial tubes

I think custom loops are one of the most non-plug and play aspect of PC building....hence the word custom in the name.

Ignoring the fact its horrifically toxic there's another reason why using Liquid Metal would never work in a water loop. If we take the most common and probably the only one most people could get their hands on, Mercury, its actually 13.5 times denser than water.

In case you can't fathom it, 1ml of water weighs roughly 1g, 1ml of mercury weighs roughly 13.5g. 1 litre of water is 1kg, 1 litre of mercury is 13.5kg.

What's weird about mercury though is its viscosity is not that much more than water so assuming you could get a pump capable of moving it without getting eaten and tubing, rad & block that wouldn't get eaten its theoretically possible that it would probably work quite well.

The other "liquid" metals (caesium, gallium & rubidium) don't melt till they get above average room conditions temp so they would need heating up before you could use them to cool which is an oxymoron.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

12 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Ignoring the fact its horrifically toxic there's another reason why using Liquid Metal would never work in a water loop. If we take the most common and probably the only one most people could get their hands on, Mercury, its actually 13.5 times denser than water.

In case you can't fathom it, 1ml of water weighs roughly 1g, 1ml of mercury weighs roughly 13.5g. 1 litre of water is 1kg, 1 litre of mercury is 13.5kg.

What's weird about mercury though is its viscosity is not that much more than water so assuming you could get a pump capable of moving it without getting eaten and tubing, rad & block that wouldn't get eaten its theoretically possible that it would probably work quite well.

The other "liquid" metals (caesium, gallium & rubidium) don't melt till they get above average room conditions temp so they would need heating up before you could use them to cool which is an oxymoron.

what about freon

14 hours ago, Edmond Dantes said:

I knew the water and silver/gold tubing was a joke tone just doent translate through text. As for glass tubing I assumed there were pre bent kits or companies that bent them for you but I never actually looked into it.

24 minutes ago, kucharczykt said:

I knew the water and silver/gold tubing was a joke tone just doent translate through text. As for glass tubing I assumed there were pre bent kits or companies that bent them for you but I never actually looked into it.

You can bend them. Depending on the glass you may need a pretty powerful torch and a lot of practice to get the glass to the right temp and to bend it to the right angle without collapsing the glass. It can be done obviously. There are companies who sell lab glass and who can make it to spec. It can be done on your own but let's say ... some people think acrylic tubing is hard or copper tubing. Custom bent glass tubing is artisan master class.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

2 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

You can bend them. Depending on the glass you may need a pretty powerful torch and a lot of practice to get the glass to the right temp and to bend it to the right angle without collapsing the glass. It can be done obviously. There are companies who sell lab glass and who can make it to spec. It can be done on your own but let's say ... some people think acrylic tubing is hard or copper tubing. Custom bent glass tubing is artisan master class.

I'm seriously tempted to do it now just for bragging rights.