Are used cpus OK

I'm on a pretty low budget so I want to buy components as cheap as possible but with cpus being such a sensitive component I was hesitant to buy one used. How likely is one to be damaged in English shipping.

Edited by kucharczykt
I'm not very smart

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

If it's LGA, not likely.

If it's PGA, very likely.

Is lga pins on mobo and pga pins on cpu?

Just now, kucharczykt said:

Is lga pins on mobo and pga pins on cpu?

LGA is pins on motherboard (Intel starting with LGA775 and AMD uses it for their server processors) and PGA is pins on the CPU (Everyone until LGA775, AMD continued with PGA except for server)

elephants

Just now, kucharczykt said:

I'm on a pretty low budget so I want to buy components as cheap as possible but with cpus being such a sensitive component I was hesitant to buy one used. How likely is one to be damaged in english

Where are you buying from?

If on eBay, then it should be fine. They have a very good buyer and seller protection policy, so you basically can return it for whatever reason.

AMD or PGA chips are more likely, because the pins are fragile. Intel or LGA are less likely.

Just make sure you keep detailed records and stuff to make sure that if something goes wrong you can make an easy return.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

3 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

Where are you buying from?

If on eBay, then it should be fine. They have a very good buyer and seller protection policy, so you basically can return it for whatever reason.

AMD or PGA chips are more likely, because the pins are fragile. Intel or LGA are less likely.

Just make sure you keep detailed records and stuff to make sure that if something goes wrong you can make an easy return.

Yeah it would most likely be ebay

I got an i7 6700k on ebay like 6 months ago, works fine and it was packed horribly. if it works it works ussuly there's not much of an in-between, unless it was heavily overlocked a lot then it might not clock as high as it used to. only ever received one bad cpu(offer-up) and got my money back. 

I'd buy a used intel CPU without a worry, AMD on the other hand I would worry about the packaging being good enough, pins on the cpu is a horrible idea

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x