.BMP Support?

Hi, I would like to upload screen shots of my bios, but when I do so, they are set as a DL instead.

I don't remember that happening before the update, or should I convert them instead? ( not that I couldn't take the time..... But time you know?_ lol )

As a jpeg after paint conversion. 

210128194526.BMP

Bios mem timings.jpg

Seems a bit superfluous when PNG exists, no? I get the desire to upload images as-is, but it just seems rather wasteful to even go down the BMP route for uploading... unless the site offered a conversion of the images to PNGs...

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

8 minutes ago, PlayStation 2 said:

Seems a bit superfluous when PNG exists, no? I get the desire to upload images as-is, but it just seems rather wasteful to even go down the BMP route... unless the site offered a conversion of the images to PNGs...

Either they allow the site to support the image file format or it doesn't. I've never heard of a forum website converting pictures though... ?

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

Either they allow the site to support the image file format or it doesn't. I've never heard of a website converting pictures though... ?

There's websites out there that can convert images - hell, that's what sites like Reddit (at least iirc?), iFunny and such do. At the very least, many forums (such as this one, actually) compress images if they can. 

I guess in this context, it's more of a "could this site do what IrfanView or PNGGauntlet does but better or more conveniently?"

10 minutes ago, PlayStation 2 said:

Seems a bit superfluous when PNG exists, no?

Does any BIOS save screenshots in PNG-format? None of my PCs do that, the BIOS saves all the screenshots on all the machines that support such a function as BMP. Having to convert from BMP to PNG is a nuisance, when one could just as well just upload the image without having to take any extra steps -- it's just more convenient to upload the image as-is, without such extra steps in-between.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Does any BIOS save screenshots in PNG-format? None of my PCs do that, the BIOS saves all the screenshots on all the machines that support such a function as BMP. Having to convert from BMP to PNG is a nuisance, when one could just as well just upload the image without having to take any extra steps -- it's just more convenient to upload the image as-is, without such extra steps in-between.

Never implied that any BIOS took screenshots as PNG, but if my lazy ass can convert images to PNGs, surely anyone else can, no?

Or maybe I underestimate how much of a hassle converting an image can be.

1 minute ago, PlayStation 2 said:

Never implied that any BIOS took screenshots as PNG, but if my lazy ass can convert images to PNGs, surely anyone else can, no?

It's not about being able to, it's just simply about convenience.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, PlayStation 2 said:

Or maybe I underestimate how much of a hassle converting an image can be.

Correct, this is in fact such a massive inconvenience that I could have made 14 dollars in the time it took me to convert this image.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It's not about being able to, it's just simply about convenience.

Literally how inconvenient is it to spend 10 seconds to convert an image yourself? You'd be waiting about the same amount of time for this forum to convert an image, anyways. 

Sincerely, someone who's posted many 10+MB images to this forum before.

1 minute ago, flibberdipper said:

Correct, this is in fact such a massive inconvenience that I could have made 14 dollars in the time it took me to convert this image.

10s x 6 lousy images is a minute of my time. In reality, My images could be located in different areas of the PC, most of all formats are supported.

Yes, just take it from my thumb drive and upload it like I would my phone would be like.... taking a picture with my phone and then uploading it lol.

i would say it is intentional, given the below

image.png.521b86e075632e2cf2b5df1d0508c56a.png

Bitmap is kind of notorious for being excessively bloated and would eat up unnecessary bandwidth and server space even if they dont get posted that often.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, PlayStation 2 said:

Literally how inconvenient is it to spend 10 seconds to convert an image yourself? You'd be waiting about the same amount of time for this forum to convert an image, anyways.

That argument applies to every other image-format the forums already support. How inconvenient would it be to have to convert JPG to e.g. WEBP? Or to HEIF? Why should the forums support uploading images in any other format than single one, since you can convert your images to that format yourself?

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i would say it is intentional, given the below

Bitmap is kind of notorious for being excessively bloated and would eat up unnecessary bandwidth and server space even if they dont get posted that often.

Why does that small number seem small in 2021. It would take 1 second to upload it.

Server space? They've got more than plenty of it. Just look at the already existing data size here..... a few megabytes isn't much these days.... 2002 maybe.... lol

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That argument applies to every other image-format the forums already support. How inconvenient would it be to have to convert JPG to e.g. WEBP? Or to HEIF? Why should the forums support uploading images in any other format than single one, since you can convert your images to that format yourself?

No, they don't need to support everything under the sun. I can take the time to convert an image because I'm not fucking lazy. Case in point, this texture from a game that's definitely not anything that could be uploaded to this site otherwise:

HbC1O.png

It took a lot more time to rip this than it would take to compress a bitmap into a PNG, that's for sure. But I didn't complain, because you know why? I can actually do something without complaining on a forum about how I'm too lazy to compress an image.

Really, if it's a doable thing, cool. Admin dig it, then cool too.

If not, I continue with file conversion, I don't really take bios screen shots excessively or anything.... not a huge deal.

4 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Yeah, BMPs tend to be a lot larger than they need to be, but there is already an upload-limit in place, so that's only a problem if you run afoul of the limit. Besides which, if they really were THAT starved for space, any uploaded BMPs could be converted to e.g. PNGs in a single-threaded, low-prio queue in the background -- it doesn't have to happen during upload, when it can be done asynchronously at any later time.

No, they don't need to support everything under the sun. I can take the time to convert an image because I'm not fucking lazy. Case in point, this texture from a game that's definitely not anything that could be uploaded to this site otherwise:

It took a lot more time to rip this than it would take to compress a bitmap into a PNG, that's for sure. But I didn't complain, because you know why? I can actually do something without complaining on a forum about how I'm too lazy to compress an image.

I dig your little digs. XD. I see through your bologna. 😉 

It took a lot more time to rip this than it would take to compress a bitmap into a PNG, that's for sure. But I didn't complain, because you know why? I can actually do something without complaining on a forum about how I'm too lazy to compress an image

Ad hominems don't lend your argument any credence, mate.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Yeah, BMPs tend to be a lot larger than they need to be, but there is already an upload-limit in place, so that's only a problem if you run afoul of the limit. Besides which, if they really were THAT starved for space, any uploaded BMPs could be converted to e.g. PNGs in a single-threaded, low-prio queue in the background -- it doesn't have to happen during upload, when it can be done asynchronously at any later time.

It's a freakin 20mb limit lol. 

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

but there is already an upload-limit in place,

oh, there is too. awesome. ignore me then!

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

10 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Server space? They've got more than plenty of it. Just look at the already existing data size here..... a few megabytes isn't much these days.... 2002 maybe.... lol

I disagree with this mindset, more data is still more data and it'll cost more for the servers

1 byte to 2 bytes isn't much, but if you scale everything up, you'll need 2 times the storage space needed

That said, I support the ability to upload an image without having to convert it. But if BMP have any other issues other than file size, then I can see why it won't go through

I don't really see a single BMP being inefficient as being an issue because many people posts images in other format that are also large in file size.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

But if BMP have any other issues other than file size

I, at least, can't think of any such issues. BMPs are a very simple format, they don't even support metadata. The only extra-stuff in a BMP would be an optional ICC-profile and I don't think practically any software attaches one by default.

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I disagree with this mindset, more data is still more data and it'll cost more for the servers

1 byte to 2 bytes isn't much, but if you scale everything up, you'll need 2 times the storage space needed

That said, I support the ability to upload an image without having to convert it. But if BMP have any other issues other than file size, then I can see why it won't go through

I don't really see a single BMP being inefficient as being an issue because many people posts images in other format that are also large in file size.

This server is allotted unlimited data. Otherwise they wouldn't have a 20mb upload limit.

I only know because I've had run older forums, generally also did not use BMP format, but that was 15 years ago by now. But unlimited server space has been a thing for quite a long time.

I mean you can literally start your own forum with unlimited storage for like 15 bucks.....

Also, would like to note, I can still upload the picture, it's just now on the server as a DL instead of a viewable image.

BMP hasn't been supported for at least the past 3 years, and there were only 6 bmps uploaded to the forum last month, so it's not a particularly high impact change. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to add it to the forum software - the list of supported formats is hard coded, and there are several places in the code that assume it. It's therefore not likely to happen, sorry.

HTTP/2 203