.BMP Support?

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

BMP hasn't been supported for at least the past 3 years, and there were only 6 bmps uploaded to the forum last month, so it's not a particularly high impact change. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to add it to the forum software - the list of supported formats is hard coded, and there are several places in the code that assume it. It's therefore not likely to happen, sorry.

Totally not a problem. Wasn't a complaint, and that's why I'm in the suggestion section 😉 But ,yeah! Thank you very much on the consideration though!  Take it easy!

The bios has an excuse ... to save to png, it would need the deflate algorithm (zip) and adler32 algorithm and would need to support at least a subset of png (save only as true color, so no color palettes, no color profiles) .. this basically means adding maybe 10-30 KB to the rom size.  Some BIOSes don't have that much free space after everything is packed together.

BMP is lossless and stupid, and it's not used or decoded directly by browsers most of the time because it's not web friendly - it loads from the bottom to the top so if some user has a poor connection it can seem the picture is broken and doesn't load.

One solution would be - if the forum supports it - to have a bot that gets hooked to  "on message posted"  events and monitors the attachments , and if there's a bmp it downloads the attachment, converts it to png or some other preferred format, then either edits or submits a second post to that thread with the images attached as PNG.

But considering the rare amount of bmp uploads I'd say let it be, too much work for too little benefit.

If this is just about BIOS... Don't most people take photos with their phones anyway? In that sense, adding support for that odd Apple/iOS image format might be more needed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

open it with paint, save it as png done

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900