passive watercool loop

Go to solution Solved by Edmond Dantes,
5 hours ago, For Science! said:

From what I understand, this is basically 1 step further than the "OMG I can use copper tubing to replace all the radiators" idea (which I guess doesn't need explaining that it doesn't work), and while the whatever thing that is being floated looks like it has more surface area than just copper tubing, it is likely to be far from enough surface to be functionally equivalent to even a small radiator.

Of course if you put oodles and oodles of this tubing into your case, then you may at some point achieve enough surface area, but then at that point it'll look so crappy and have such bad air flow that you might as well have put a radiator in.

As a side note, I don't really see how that tubing is any better looking than a radiator, but thats just my opinion.

you connect a bunch of them together. i found some PCs that did it and it worked.

i was thinking of doing a water cooling loop but a fan-less one. instead of rads i will use the passive tubes like Alphacool Cape Cora and even use those as the hard line tubes. what do you think will that work. maybe linus needs to make a video on that but make sure to give me a credit.

I mean it will probably work. but how well? I do not know. the thing i know is that that is a waste of money since the cooling potential would be pretty bad.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

They had something like this already

Ok, it's pumpless, not fanless. But a cooler without fans that simply relies on convection is going to be very inefficient. You'll need a much larger surface area.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

GIVE ME CREDIT FOR AN IDEA

This has been done by many people, in different variations.  Anything can work if the science backs it (and does in this case) with enough money.

Or just get a full size car radiator, DIY to get the piping together, have enough pump power, and voila probably just as passively able to cool.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

if you're not doing it "for the sake of checking the 'fanless' checkbox", you're wasting your time and money.

you need so much surface area to make passive cooling make sense, that it's really not worth the effort compared to a loop with some decent fans at minimum fan speed.

having that said.. you need airflow anyways to cool the rest of your components like VRM's, so a fanless loop is just an invitation for more problems to solve.

there is gonna be huge surface area though. there is gonna be a bunch of these Alphacool Cape Coras instead of rads like 20 pieces plus its all gonna be in the case with mad case fans. the idea im talking about, no one did it before i never seen it.  instead of the rads its gonna be a bunch of Alphacool Cape Coras connected to each other. even the tubes connecting the rads, its gonna be a Alphacool Cape Cora.

another thing that i have not seen, is someone using a aquarium water chiller to chill the water. maybe instead of the water reservoir, there is a water chiller.

On 1/28/2021 at 4:40 PM, Tristerin said:

GIVE ME CREDIT FOR AN IDEA

This has been done by many people, in different variations.  Anything can work if the science backs it (and does in this case) with enough money.

Or just get a full size car radiator, DIY to get the piping together, have enough pump power, and voila probably just as passively able to cool.

im talking about a system that can be placed on a desk though. if you talking about DIY like that, might as well incorporate the swimming pool into the loop. lets see the cup/gpu heat that up.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, Edmond Dantes said:

im talking about a system that can be placed on a desk though. if you talking about DIY like that, might as well incorporate the swimming pool into the loop. lets see the cup/gpu heat that up.

or a river in the backyard (its on youtube)

If you want to spend your money on an incredible amount of tubes (get familiar with thermal equilibrium, heat soak, etc) do so Im just saying its not original, expensive, and no real credit to be had - real talk - if you got the money why not just post pics and a build log on it!

7 minutes ago, Edmond Dantes said:

another thing that i have not seen, is someone using a aquarium water chiller to chill the water. maybe instead of the water reservoir, there is a water chiller.

Basically this is another "Simpsons Did It" on Youtube.  Chilled water, ice water, peltier, fridges, freezers.

13 minutes ago, Edmond Dantes said:

I thought you wanted passive?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

or a river in the backyard (its on youtube)

If you want to spend your money on an incredible amount of tubes (get familiar with thermal equilibrium, heat soak, etc) do so Im just saying its not original, expensive, and no real credit to be had - real talk - if you got the money why not just post pics and a build log on it!

Basically this is another "Simpsons Did It" on Youtube.  Chilled water, ice water, peltier, fridges, freezers.

I thought you wanted passive?

passive only on the loop, in a case with fans for airflow. or a open case with no fans at all. also what im talking about i have not seen. i seen people do bunch of stuff like a river even linus did a bunch of stuff, but what im talking about its something thats practical and looks good. something if you saw at the store you could buy.. i have not seen anyone build a custom loop using something like the  Alphacool Cape Cora instead of rads, and even using the cape cora tubes instead of the hardline or soft tubing. fans only on the case for air flow inside the case or a open case like a lian le 011 case with the glass taken off and no fans or glass on with fans for air flow.

the water chiller method is another idea that you can incorporate with the loop. i seen this done but it was a unpractical situation. with a big water chiller chilling water in a bucket and the rads are in the bucket. what im talking about is a small chiller that can be in the case all together part of the loop.

1 hour ago, Voluspa said:

this is a unpractical solution though. he has pipes running thru the garage and everything. what im talking about its all in the case. also it doesnt look good with diy parts. what im talking about is all retail parts u can buy from the store and plug and play.

a fanless watercooling loop will be pointless and very inefficient... why? because of airflow direction... with fans built into your system, there will always be a predictable airflow direction in which you can orient your fans to help or deter your system (depending on which orientation you take)

the heat of the system is dispersed already by the radiator fins, the main purpose of adding fans to radiators is mostly to direct the heat to whichever direction you want that heat to go to... having no way to control airflow in a system where you are trying to regulate heat will simply result in warm air continuously recirculating within your system with no real way to efficiently disperse...

3 hours ago, YoMz said:

a fanless watercooling loop will be pointless and very inefficient... why? because of airflow direction... with fans built into your system, there will always be a predictable airflow direction in which you can orient your fans to help or deter your system (depending on which orientation you take)

the heat of the system is dispersed already by the radiator fins, the main purpose of adding fans to radiators is mostly to direct the heat to whichever direction you want that heat to go to... having no way to control airflow in a system where you are trying to regulate heat will simply result in warm air continuously recirculating within your system with no real way to efficiently disperse...

i guess. but those cape cora tubes look way nicer than a rad though.

1 minute ago, Edmond Dantes said:

i guess. but those cape cora tubes look way nicer than a rad though.

yes they do... but you will still need fans to direct your heat to the closest exhaust holes in your system so it will not get recirculated... you can try it with your current system right now, compare the temperatures at idle with and without your fans turned on, and you will immediately see quite a difference in temperatures... optimizing the airflow path in the system is just as important as choosing the cooling solution for it (there are quite a good number of videos regarding this topic on YouTube)

3 hours ago, YoMz said:

yes they do... but you will still need fans to direct your heat to the closest exhaust holes in your system so it will not get recirculated... you can try it with your current system right now, compare the temperatures at idle with and without your fans turned on, and you will immediately see quite a difference in temperatures... optimizing the airflow path in the system is just as important as choosing the cooling solution for it (there are quite a good number of videos regarding this topic on YouTube)

i probably communicated it incorrectly, i was pretty much saying, instead of having ugly rads with fans on them you can use this and still have fans in the case for airflow, or use a open case. and even use these as part of the tubing.

2 hours ago, Edmond Dantes said:

i probably communicated it incorrectly, i was pretty much saying, instead of having ugly rads with fans on them you can use this and still have fans in the case for airflow, or use a open case. and even use these as part of the tubing.

What we are saying is, due to HEAT SOAK, that you will need an inappropriate amount of these tubes to have enough surface area to mitigate the fluid temperature.  A radiator, uses multiple tubes with fin stacks - which create a ton of COMPACT surface area.  You then cool this SURFACE area down so that it can CONTINUE to build HEAT SOAK into the materials.  You want to have enough surface area so that the eventual heat soak doesnt overwhelm the system.

So like...100 of those MIGHT be enough for a CPU loop, who knows - the best question you may have is - how many licks does it take .... I mean how many of these tubes does it take to passively cool.  Hell there may even be a math equation that could solve that if we knew the surface area of those tubes.

But can it?  Sure with enough tubes.  Should you - yes if you have money to burn, tell us all about it we love to see crazy shit here.  Can you?  Sure.  Do we think you are going to waste your money, time, space, etc - doesnt matter its your money, time, space, etc.

On that note - I do think these tubes are cool.  But for me, its not in my budget compared to the same price for 9 feet of tubing for an entire loop + leftovers vs 1 of these.

2 hours ago, Tristerin said:

What we are saying is, due to HEAT SOAK, that you will need an inappropriate amount of these tubes to have enough surface area to mitigate the fluid temperature.  A radiator, uses multiple tubes with fin stacks - which create a ton of COMPACT surface area.  You then cool this SURFACE area down so that it can CONTINUE to build HEAT SOAK into the materials.  You want to have enough surface area so that the eventual heat soak doesnt overwhelm the system.

So like...100 of those MIGHT be enough for a CPU loop, who knows - the best question you may have is - how many licks does it take .... I mean how many of these tubes does it take to passively cool.  Hell there may even be a math equation that could solve that if we knew the surface area of those tubes.

But can it?  Sure with enough tubes.  Should you - yes if you have money to burn, tell us all about it we love to see crazy shit here.  Can you?  Sure.  Do we think you are going to waste your money, time, space, etc - doesnt matter its your money, time, space, etc.

On that note - I do think these tubes are cool.  But for me, its not in my budget compared to the same price for 9 feet of tubing for an entire loop + leftovers vs 1 of these.

these tubes have fins too though i think this will work for sure but how well. plus it looks cool. these actually cost less then a rad. so its in budget trust. its got like 8 huge fins and 4 of those square things also there seems to be a bunch of science in the tube too.fin.png.234ab7c6f713de8389eff031bc3a8373.png

5 minutes ago, Edmond Dantes said:

there seems to be a bunch of science in the tube too.

Well, the science is nothing new.  Surface area and material type, heat soak, etc etc.

You do you bro - you are right, with the correct amount this works.  But the correct amount is going to be more than you expect.  You can passive cool a system, generically speaking, using a full size car radiator - in terms of fin stacks...you can do the quick visual equation.

Anyhow - you dont have to "sell" your idea to me, do it!  I think its neat, but extremely cost conflating for no reason beyond learning.  Which is cool too if you can afford it.

2 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Well, the science is nothing new.  Surface area and material type, heat soak, etc etc.

You do you bro - you are right, with the correct amount this works.  But the correct amount is going to be more than you expect.  You can passive cool a system, generically speaking, using a full size car radiator - in terms of fin stacks...you can do the quick visual equation.

Anyhow - you dont have to "sell" your idea to me, do it!  I think its neat, but extremely cost conflating for no reason beyond learning.  Which is cool too if you can afford it.

i guess your right. if its completely passive. but thats not what im saying there is still gonna be pc case fans, or a open case so there is air flow on the fins. im not selling anything. im just sayin its a dope idea. im not sayin you do it. it might be old science but its still science, and its in the tube. i think your just hating on my plan cuz i came up with it and u want to use it later and take the credit i swear, this is the best idea soon everyone is gonna make these tubes. btw your avatar is lookin real sweet

From what I understand, this is basically 1 step further than the "OMG I can use copper tubing to replace all the radiators" idea (which I guess doesn't need explaining that it doesn't work), and while the whatever thing that is being floated looks like it has more surface area than just copper tubing, it is likely to be far from enough surface to be functionally equivalent to even a small radiator.

Of course if you put oodles and oodles of this tubing into your case, then you may at some point achieve enough surface area, but then at that point it'll look so crappy and have such bad air flow that you might as well have put a radiator in.

As a side note, I don't really see how that tubing is any better looking than a radiator, but thats just my opinion.

5 hours ago, For Science! said:

you connect a bunch of them together. i found some PCs that did it and it worked.

6 hours ago, Edmond Dantes said:

Ok have fun, 

7 hours ago, For Science! said:

Ok have fun, 

i am thank you. also if anyone wants to see  how this works, i found a video of a guy doing it and it seems to work good.

Edited by LogicalDrm

i am thank you. also if anyone wants to see  how this works, i found a video of a guy doing it and it seems to work good.

So... basically barely keeping the components (i7 970....) at 80 degrees while using a radiator larger than the PC chassis itself, and you think that replacing some tubing with this stuff is going to be able to keep modern components (assumed) which are much hotter under control...Anyway, I have my opinions, but you are free to explore your ideas, keep a good log and let us know how it goes.

Edited by LogicalDrm

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

So... basically barely keeping the components (i7 970....) at 80 degrees while using a radiator larger than the PC chassis itself, and you think that replacing some tubing with this stuff is going to be able to keep modern components (assumed) which are much hotter under control...Anyway, I have my opinions, but you are free to explore your ideas, keep a good log and let us know how it goes.

the guy did it and it worked. he reached those temps under stress. no one is stressing their pc like that. dunno why everyone is hating on me over this. all im sayin is it works and it looks cool.