Trying to undervolt my Vega 64 - Voltage issues

Sarra

I've been attempting to undervolt this card. I'm using the AMD Adrenaline software, with whatever they replaced wattman with (performance tuning), and I'm setting the card to run 1,000mv in P6, and 1,050mv in p7. When actually running the card, it bounces between 1000 and 1100. Temp spikes up with 1100, then drops back down at 1000. Is there a way I can lock it to stick at 1050?

Also, every time I reboot, instead of going to the 'manual' settings, it resets to a preset that makes no sense, even if I change the 'preset' setting before rebooting. Is there anything I can do to get the AMD drivers to behave a little better?

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I goggled around and figured it out... Kind of silly how AMD set up the software, and silly that it still doesn't work after... How many years now?

I have been using MSI Afterburner for my card (Works with AMD and Nvidia cards). I can setup the settings I want, apply them, and have the software apply it at boot. Hope this helps you.

2 minutes ago, Retro_Unlimited said:

I have been using MSI Afterburner for my card (Works with AMD and Nvidia cards). I can setup the settings I want, apply them, and have the software apply it at boot. Hope this helps you.

Yeah, I've used Afterburner for years now.

However, this card needs more control for the voltage than Afterburner can provide.

Have you tried to press CTRL+F while msi afterburner is open to open the voltage/frequency curve editor?

3 hours ago, Retro_Unlimited said:

Have you tried to press CTRL+F while msi afterburner is open to open the voltage/frequency curve editor?

For whatever reason, Afterburner cannot pull my voltage down more than 18mv.

Stock voltage is 1200mv, I'm running 1050mv. 1188mv is still more than I want to run, so I'll stick with AMD's built in tuning utility.

3 hours ago, Sarra said:

I goggled around and figured it out... Kind of silly how AMD set up the software, and silly that it still doesn't work after... How many years now?

yep AMD basically forgot about the 64, VII etc, driver support and software is ass even though it's their most expensive card.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6