Hello, im a new user and i made my first parts list. looking for feedback

2 minutes ago, not_really_gamer said:

wait oops lol

Yeah bad timing on the edit lol

I should add, if you can get X570 in that range IMO do it. I got my ASUS X570-P on sale for $125 in October, B550 was no cheaper at the time. But a quality B550 is more than good enough if you can get one cheaper now.

And yes, AMD is better. Intel theoretically performs slightly better, but the security patches they had to do and the nature of real-world use evaporate their advantages. And AMD is a vastly better value if you measure performance per dollar.

1 minute ago, Tarun10 said:

Yes AMD is undoubtedly the best value right now. You save money on the motherboard and get most of the performance for gaming and better performance in other workloads. You can either go 3600 and later upload to Zen 3 down the line without a new motherboard. Or you can wait for 5600 to come back in stock.

What motherboard should i get?

Just now, not_really_gamer said:

What motherboard should i get?

There are a few specific B series motherboards that have great power delivery and features. I'm not quite sure which model is currently the best value. Probably, a good idea to make a separate post in the motherboards section. 

Oh, also you can run Windows 10 for free, completely legally, with a download from Microsoft's own website. You just can't do any personalization.

There are a few specific B series motherboards that have great power delivery and features. I'm not quite sure which model is currently the best value. Probably, a good idea to make a separate post in the motherboards section. 

Oh, also you can run Windows 10 for free, completely legally, with a download from Microsoft's own website. You just can't do any personalization.

Thanks, i will. Also, how difficult is it to get windows working for free?

This is what I do to play Halo and War Thunder. Only problem is MS could close that loophole at any time if they bothered, but I'll cross that bridge whenI come to it.

For everything else including all my other games, Kubuntu ftw.

Just now, saxyomega90125 said:

This is what I do to play Halo and War Thunder. Only problem is MS could close that loophole at any time if they bothered, but I'll cross that bridge whenI come to it.

how do you use it to play some games but not others?

2 minutes ago, not_really_gamer said:

Just create Windows boot media, install, and then skip the activation. It'll occasionally bother and otherwise mildly inconvenience you, but it never ends the trial

And I dual boot. Kubuntu is my primary OS but I have a Windows boot stuffed into a HDD partition since those two games don't work in Linux

Just now, not_really_gamer said:

It's very simple. You can go to this link and click on Download tool now. Then you just need a 8GB or larger USB Drive to boot your new computer from. Just follow the instructions on the tool and you will have the USB ready. When your PC is built, you just need to connect the USB, boot from it, then follow setup instructions.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

2 minutes ago, saxyomega90125 said:

Ah, I use a laptop and I was trying out different Linux distros and they were so much better than Windows but my school uses Teams now so I'm stuck with Windows.

8 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

Ah, I use a laptop and I was trying out different Linux distros and they were so much better than Windows but my school uses Teams now so I'm stuck with Windows.

Up until recently I dual-booted on my laptop as well, very similar deal. I had a Zenbook for years and I upgraded it to a Sandisk 960GB SSD back when those were still just north of $200. Also, don't be afraid to split one into four or five partitions if need be - I had six on mine (MS data, C:, /, /home, Docs Pics and Games, and Music) and the same SSD is still going strong in my tower.

2 minutes ago, saxyomega90125 said:

Up until recently I dual-booted on my laptop as well, very similar deal. I had a Zenbook for years and I upgraded it to a Sandisk 960GB SSD back when those were still just north of $200. Still have the same SSD going strong in my tower now too, so don't be afraid to split one into four or five partitions if need be.

Hmm thanks for that info. I'm stuck with a 500 GB one for now and I might just try to mess around with distros for the fun of it but I switch between school and other stuff way too often for dual boot to make sense.