Choose ram that disappear on QVL - risky?

Zowy1

I build a system with 5900X and choose mobo right now... maybe X570 taichi.

and I want some g skill royal memory..2X32GB sticks.. and it doesnt appear.. even on other boards like B550 vision.

It is ok to choose that? and maybe I doing overclock to memory.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

If the ram doesn't work then don't buy it? That basically means it's broken.

What? I will not try it.. not buy ram yet..

21 minutes ago, Zowy1 said:

I build a system with 5900X and choose mobo right now... maybe X570 taichi.

and I want some g skill royal memory..2X32GB sticks.. and it doesnt appear.. even on other boards like B550 vision.

It is ok to choose that? and maybe I doing overclock to memory.

32 GB sticks are tricky. I'd stick with 16 GB sticks to be safe. 

Just now, Applefreak said:

32 GB sticks are tricky. I'd stick with 16 GB sticks to be safe. 

Why tricky?

and if I have 64GB.. in the future I can upgrade to 128GB haha

29 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If the ram doesn't work then don't buy it? That basically means it's broken.

That would be good, but it doesn't work like that. If the RAM isn't working on the advertised speeds and you are past you 14-day return period that we in the EU have, which might not be applicable in his region, there is a very good chance the manufacturer / retailer will not exchange / refund him. Not shopping in accordance to the QVL and buying stuff that isn't certified to work and that board will be the problem of the OP if that happens. That's why these QVLs exist. Otherwise motherboard manufacturers wouldn't be wasitng time and resources to validate all of these memory configurations. 

11 minutes ago, Zowy1 said:

Why tricky?

and if I have 64GB.. in the future I can upgrade to 128GB haha

It is tricky, because high-density and high speed don't go hand in hand. There is very very good chance the motherboard or the memory controller on the processor will not be strong enough to allow the memory to reach the advertised speeds that you see on the box let alone you to overclock it. Essentially you will be overpaying for the binning G.Skill has done on these dimms without being able to leverage them to the fullest. 

if you want to go with high-density chips and be confident that they will at least be able to reach the advertised speeds shopping in accordance to the QVL is a must.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

1 minute ago, Analog said:

That would be good, but it doesn't work like that. If the RAM isn't working on the advertised speeds and you are past you 14-day return period that we in the EU have, which might not be applicable in his region, there is a very good chance the manufacturer / retailer will not exchange / refund him. Not shopping in accordance to the QVL and buying stuff that isn't certified to work and that board will be the problem of the OP if that happens. That's why these QVLs exist. Otherwise motherboard manufacturers wouldn't be wasitng time and resources to validate all of these memory configurations. 

My bad I didn't find the question clear and from what I understood I thought the ram was broken. If it's as simple as not being officially supported then whatever get it and see what happens. If you have a return option

4 minutes ago, Analog said:

It is tricky, because high-density and high speed don't go hand in hand. There is very very good chance the motherboard or the memory controller on the processor will not be strong enough to allow the memory to reach the advertised speeds that you see on the box let alone you to overclock it. Essentially you will be overpaying for the binning G.Skill has done on these dimms without being able to leverage them to the fullest. 

if you want to go with high-density chips and be confident that they will at least be able to reach the advertised speeds shopping in accordance to the QVL is a must.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

My bad I didn't find the question clear and from what I understood I thought the ram was broken. If it's as simple as not being officially supported then whatever get it and see what happens. If you have a return option

I will buy from newegg.. and if I return that I need to pay restock fee.. what a bad company

3 minutes ago, Zowy1 said:

I will buy from newegg.. and if I return that I need to pay restock fee.. what a bad company

Then get ram that is supported if you don't want to pay for a return. Really just becomes as simple as that. You either take a gamble which may or may not work. Or you don't and just get ram that works. What do you need 64gb for anyways?

Just now, jaslion said:

Then get ram that is supported if you don't want to pay for a return. Really just becomes as simple as that. You either take a gamble which may or may not work. Or you don't and just get ram that works. What do you need 64gb for anyways?

But I wanna some sticks that looks cool for me.. Gskill royals I think

but not very critical

2 minutes ago, Zowy1 said:

But I wanna some sticks that looks cool for me.. Gskill royals I think

but not very critical

Well yeah you have to take a risk then. You are trying something not officially tested so you have to be willing to take the risk and have it not work. Again do you need 64gb if not get something smaller or just get 4x16gb sticks of some ram.

Also you have been making a thread for every single part of your build. Why not just make a single thread for all of it and let people build a system for you in your budget? Then go from there and adjust to your liking with the advice of others.

Well yeah you have to take a risk then. You are trying something not officially tested so you have to be willing to take the risk and have it not work. Again do you need 64gb if not get something smaller or just get 4x16gb sticks of some ram.

Also you have been making a thread for every single part of your build. Why not just make a single thread for all of it and let people build a system for you in your budget? Then go from there and adjust to your liking with the advice of others.

Yes but the mem support list on x570 taichi is not big.. that means they not tested many of rams on this mobo..

So why have a chance that is not working after all I try to think about that.. Ryzen 5000 are good and stable with memory.

Just now, Zowy1 said:

Yes but the mem support list on x570 taichi is not big.. that means they not tested many of rams on this mobo..

So why have a chance that is not working after all I try to think about that.. Ryzen 5000 are good and stable with memory.

Because simply put and as @Analog has described in good detail. You don't know if they'll work. The higher density the dimm the harder it is to get them working at all. Even if ryzen 5000 is better that doesn't mean that high capacity dimms get much easier to get going. Often you just get locked at 2133mhz and that is it.

Because simply put and as @Analog has described in good detail. You don't know if they'll work. The higher density the dimm the harder it is to get them working at all. Even if ryzen 5000 is better that doesn't mean that high capacity dimms get much easier to get going. Often you just get locked at 2133mhz and that is it.

So.. I have option to upgrade to 128GB in the future if I put 64GB right now and.. what does it mean? every person that want 128GB on their build.. must buy sticks that appear on the QVL ?

because it is a lot of ram.. and I read some people that told ram works on their systems even that ram not appear in the list... 

I will buy a some premium build so why the memory controller on it not good enough?

2133MHz is the base JEDEC specification for mainstream platforms and it goes to 3200MHz. Theoretically if the OP buys memory that is JEDEC (not XMP or DOCP) certified for 3200MHz regardless of the capacity it should work at that speed. But even if it does, I can pretty much guarantee there won't be much if any overclocking of 128GB or RAM in a 4x32GB configuration. Also, this type of memory usually isn't pretty though. It is in most cases as standard as a memory stick gets, we are talking bare green pcb here. This is because it is geared towards workstations and people who don't shop in accordance to aesthetics.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

1 minute ago, Analog said:

2133MHz is the base JEDEC specification for mainstream platforms and it goes to 3200MHz. Theoretically if the OP buys memory that is JEDEC (not XMP or DOCP) certified for 3200MHz regardless of the capacity it should work at that speed. But even if it does, I can pretty much guarantee there won't be much if any overclocking of 128GB or RAM in a 4x32GB configuration. Also, this type of memory usually isn't pretty though. It is in most cases as standard as a memory stick gets, we are talking bare green pcb here. This is because it is geared towards workstations and people who don't shop in accordance to aesthetics.

Yeah as far as I can find the gskill stuff either goes to 2133 or 2400 base.

9 minutes ago, Zowy1 said:

So.. I have option to upgrade to 128GB in the future if I put 64GB right now and.. what does it mean? every person that want 128GB on their build.. must buy sticks that appear on the QVL ?

because it is a lot of ram.. and I read some people that told ram works on their systems even that ram not appear in the list... 

I will buy a some premium build so why the memory controller on it not good enough?

You keep saying premium build but what are you doing on it? Gaming? Hello 16gb is plenty maybe 32gb in a good few years time if even. You'll never need anywhere close to 64gb in the lifetime of that system for gaming. Other use cases maybe. Again you aren't telling us anything so I can't recommend anything.

And yes they MUST buy QVL list sticks if they want to make sure everything works and don't have to go buy a bunch of different kits. Yes basically all ram will work in your system but the speed it runs at will be a gamble if it's not on the list. Most likely that gskill stuff will simply be stuck at 2133mhz which is horrible for ryzen. Maybe you get lucky and it can run at 3600mhz. Who knows? Nobody as it hasn't been tried before so you will be the first person to figure it out and if it doesn't work then you'll just have to return it and buy something else. Or run at the slow speed and have a good bit worse performance

8 minutes ago, Zowy1 said:

What you spend your money on is your choice. If you like this G.Skill Royal kit, then go ahead and get it. It certainly looks distinct. However, do keep in mind that you came here for advice and you are getting it. If you don't agree with what I and the other people here who are trying to help you are saying then don't. I really don't think that you will hurt someone's feelings or anything by going against what I and @jaslion have suggested. 

You keep saying premium build but what are you doing on it? Gaming? Hello 16gb is plenty maybe 32gb in a good few years time if even. You'll never need anywhere close to 64gb in the lifetime of that system for gaming. Other use cases maybe. Again you aren't telling us anything so I can't recommend anything.

And yes they MUST buy QVL list sticks if they want to make sure everything works and don't have to go buy a bunch of different kits. Yes basically all ram will work in your system but the speed it runs at will be a gamble if it's not on the list. Most likely that gskill stuff will simply be stuck at 2133mhz which is horrible for ryzen. Maybe you get lucky and it can run at 3600mhz. Who knows? Nobody as it hasn't been tried before so you will be the first person to figure it out and if it doesn't work then you'll just have to return it and buy something else.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

And yes they MUST buy QVL list sticks if they want to make sure everything works and don't have to go buy a bunch of different kits. Yes basically all ram will work in your system but the speed it runs at will be a gamble if it's not on the list. Most likely that gskill stuff will simply be stuck at 2133mhz which is horrible for ryzen. Maybe you get lucky and it can run at 3600mhz. Who knows? Nobody as it hasn't been tried before so you will be the first person to figure it out and if it doesn't work then you'll just have to return it and buy something else.

2 minutes ago, Analog said:

What spend your money on is your choice. If you like this G.Skill Royal kit, then go ahead and get it. It certainly looks distinct. However, do keep in mind that you came here for advice and you are getting it. If you don't agree with what I and the other people here who are trying to help you are saying then don't. I really don't think that you will hurt someone's feelings or anything by going against what I and @jaslion have suggested. 

I mean premium board X570 ***

I dont know because some people told other things and its hard to decide..

The list on the X570 TAICHI is small.. you can see.. and I see even other lists of other boards.. and anyone written 2X32GB sticks on the QVL.. only 4 sticks of rams.

2 minutes ago, Zowy1 said:

The list on the X570 TAICHI is small.. you can see.. and I see even other lists of other boards.. and anyone written 2X32GB sticks on the QVL.. only 4 sticks of rams.

Again just make a new thread for the whole build and let people help you buy the best you can for the money. Might even just recommend another board or something if you really really really really want the royal (if trident z is supported royals should be too as it's the same ram just higher bin).

And yeah the list is short because it's a board that someone who games on their system would buy and no gamer needs 32gb of ram or more so why bother testing more higher capacity kits of ram? That isn't their target audience. So some minimal testing will be done to see if it works and if it does with a couple kits good enough.

28 minutes ago, Zowy1 said:

The X570 Taichi is not exactly "premium" rather more of very good midrange board that has decent features all around. A truly high-end premium board is the X570 Dark Hero, the X570 Aorus Extreme or the ASRock Aqua. If you are looking to spend that much cash on 128GB of RAM, perhaps you should look into one of those boards instead. 

If you want a board that has better memory compatibility and is generally really good at memory overclocking and at the same time doesn't cost a fortune, then go for the B550 Unify from MSI. This is the QVL for it: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-B550-UNIFY#support-mem-21 Has quite a few kits of 3600MHz that support fully population all dimm slots with 32GB and being able to leverage DOCP (XMP). 

Aside for this I cannot really recommend anything else. 

5 minutes ago, Analog said:

The X570 Taichi is not exactly "premium" rather more of very good midrange board that has decent features all around. A truly high-end premium board is the X570 Dark Hero, the X570 Aorus Master or the ASRock Aqua. If you are looking to spend that much cash on 128GB of RAM, perhaps you should look into one of those boards instead. 

If you want a board that has better memory compatibility and is generally really good at memory overclocking and at the same time doesn't cost a fortune, then go for the B550 Unify from MSI. This is the QVL for it: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-B550-UNIFY#support-mem-21 Has quite a few kits of 3600MHz that support fully population all dimm slots with 32GB and being able to leverage DOCP (XMP). 

The X570 Taichi is same as X570 Aorus master... I try to make decide and maybe to get the Master but it has a lot of problems with the bios.. A lot people told that..

So I got X570 Taichi / Asus Viii I think 

9 hours ago, Analog said:

The X570 Taichi is not exactly "premium" rather more of very good midrange board that has decent features all around. A truly high-end premium board is the X570 Dark Hero, the X570 Aorus Extreme or the ASRock Aqua. If you are looking to spend that much cash on 128GB of RAM, perhaps you should look into one of those boards instead. 

9 hours ago, jaslion said:

Again just make a new thread for the whole build and let people help you buy the best you can for the money. Might even just recommend another board or something if you really really really really want the royal (if trident z is supported royals should be too as it's the same ram just higher bin).

And yeah the list is short because it's a board that someone who games on their system would buy and no gamer needs 32gb of ram or more so why bother testing more higher capacity kits of ram? That isn't their target audience. So some minimal testing will be done to see if it works and if it does with a couple kits good enough.

Ok I check the QVL list on Taichi and X570 VIII Hero.. and not have set of 64GB of ram on 4 sticks that works from gskill.. and if yes.. it costs a lot more.. maybe 700-800$ than 2 sticks of 32GB..

And not have 2X32GB sticks on the QVL...

so what to do...

3 hours ago, Zowy1 said:

Ok I check the QVL list on Taichi and X570 VIII Hero.. and not have set of 64GB of ram on 4 sticks that works from gskill.. and if yes.. it costs a lot more.. maybe 700-800$ than 2 sticks of 32GB..

And not have 2X32GB sticks on the QVL...

so what to do...

We've literally told you what the options are many times. Again make a new thread for your whole build

45 minutes ago, jaslion said:

We've literally told you what the options are many times. Again make a new thread for your whole build

new thread is not needed because I choose only GPU and CPU.

You told me check the QVL.. I check this and not found a good option that mention for 64GB. and if yes it is expensive..

If you dont know what to do in that case please not reply.