RX 6800 Troubleshooting / game 'quirks'?

I don't want to say I'm regretting my purchase due to how rough this market is right now, but I'm coming from an Nvidia card and I'm noticing quite a few weird behaviors in comparison. 

The main issue that's driving me crazy right now is in GTAV. The game will be playing great at over 100 FPS (Story mode) and suddenly performance will tank for around half a second. It looks as if the entire screen is frozen for a fraction of a second and then everything resumes as normal. This happens once every 2 or 3 minutes I'd say and I'm pulling my hair out trying to diagnose as I don't remember this being an issue when I played years ago on a 1080 ti. 

Things I've tried:
Setting game to normal settings (Nothing high, cranked up, etc)
Changing the resolution to 1080p (I run 3440x1440 @ 144 hz)
Setting the priority to high via task manager. 
Changing virtual memory with custom values of 800 and 12,000.

Running card stock settings vs my under-volt I currently have on it. 
Increasing minimum clocks to 2000 (This actually helps in COD CW. Just another random quirk I wish I didn't have to deal with >.>)

Nothing has helped with this periodic freeze / hitching.

Another quirk. In COD CW, the game will run at a severely reduced framerate upon spawning in after death. It looks like 25-30 FPS for a few moments before the card "Wakes up" again and plays smooth. Increasing minimum clocks to 2000 seems to mostly prevent this behavior but doesn't remove it entirely. After several hours of playing, it can occasionally get stuck in that terrible framerate, which then requires you to alt+tab out and then back in, which seems to fix the issue. 

Does anyone else have this card or the XT model? Anybody have any suggestions regarding GTAV? What's the community's thoughts on AMD and their drivers this time around? Are they going to step up to the plate or am I going to have to spend an hour troubleshooting why my game is behaving in strange ways before I can enjoy myself?

have you tried using DDU to uninstall all current GPU drivers then re-installing them?

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

5 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

have you tried using DDU to uninstall all current GPU drivers then re-installing them?

... I want to say yes, simply because I reinstalled Windows last night and wiped everything clean as it was time to start fresh again, and the issue was still present prior to me wiping and reinstalling everything. 

Oh, and just putting this here because more information. My BF also has the exact same card, and he also gets the CW low framerate I mentioned, so I know at least that isn't due to corrupt drivers. He doesn't play GTA though, so haven't done that on his system...

Just now, 227167_1454181677 said:

... I want to say yes, simply because I reinstalled Windows last night and wiped everything clean as it was time to start fresh again, and the issue was still present prior to me wiping and reinstalling everything. 

so you still have the issue after re-installing? have you made sure that you have the correct drivers by manually installing them?

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

so you still have the issue after re-installing? have you made sure that you have the correct drivers by manually installing them?

I use Radeon Software (AMD's version of Geforce Experience). Am running the latest driver, 20.11.2

Just now, 227167_1454181677 said:

I use Radeon Software (AMD's version of Geforce Experience). Am running the latest driver, 20.11.2

windows power setting set to max or performance?

AMD blackout rig

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

windows power setting set to max or performance?

Good catch! I forgot to change that back after re-install. It's currently balanced. I will update in 20-30 minutes, but I don't have high hopes! 😃

the only other thing I could think of is setting custom voltage and clock curves, maybe increasing fan curv- wait a minute, are you using v-sync or free sync? if so try disabling those.

AMD blackout rig

30 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

the only other thing I could think of is setting custom voltage and clock curves, maybe increasing fan curv- wait a minute, are you using v-sync or free sync? if so try disabling those.

Hmm, do you by chance know if I need a registered copy of Windows 10 in order to set it? I see the option in the dropdown menu, but I can't actually hit apply and I can't seem to find an answer online either >.>

2 minutes ago, 227167_1454181677 said:

Hmm, do you by chance know if I need a registered copy of Windows 10 in order to set it? I see the option in the dropdown menu, but I can't actually hit apply and I can't seem to find an answer online either >.>

no you don't. If you haven't manually enabled it, I doubt it is enabled.

AMD blackout rig

2 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Cancel that. For whatever reason, I wasn't able to change it when typing in "Edit power plan" in the search bar, but I was able to change it simply by navigating to it via the classic control panel. >.>. Okay! Testing now.

58 minutes ago, 227167_1454181677 said:

Cancel that. For whatever reason, I wasn't able to change it when typing in "Edit power plan" in the search bar, but I was able to change it simply by navigating to it via the classic control panel. >.>. Okay! Testing now.

What are the card's clocks in the COD game reported at when it drops to 25-30 FPS after dying?

1 hour ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Sorry that took a while to respond. That took a while to test. Conclusion though, no change. 
Attempted Freesync in basic mode (Monitor settings)
Attempted Freesync in Extended mode (Monitor settings)
paired both of the above with variable refresh rate enabled in Windows. 
paired both of the above with variable refresh disabled in Windows. 
Attempted turning off "Freesync Pro" in the Radeon software itself. 
Attempted disabling Freesync all together in Radeon Software, Windows, and monitor settings...

And I get the dreaded hitch... I wish I had an Nvidia Card to compare with. FML 

Thanks for the ideas anyway, @Letgomyleghoe. I wouldn't have thought of enabling / disabling freesync 

As far as what the clocks are, @Falkentyne when I die in COD, I'm not sure. Haven't looked but I'll get back to you on that.

I have a 6800 (reference card) and have no problems whatsoever with any games. I know that this doesn’t help you but I suspect that it is an individual problem rather than a general problem with drivers, etc. 

I think that AMD have had a bit of a rough ride with people criticizing their products because of the drivers. For the past year I have had only AMD cards (5700XT and 6800) and have had no problems. I often think that this is the excuse (blame the drivers) because people don’t know how to properly set up their PCs.

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G