Z97 Mainboard sets Auto Vcore to 1.44V? I7-4790K

It was about 2 Years ago that my Computer got unusually hot during Summer, during intense gaming settions my CPU started hitting upto 80-90°C. Which was very freightening to me since it normally never got any hotter then about 50-60°C (and i have my CPU since mid 2014). So i started looking deeper into my BIOS settings and getting back into overclocking... I noticed that although i had never changed anything in the Voltage department, my CPU core Voltage was hitting up to 1.44V, on the (Auto) setting! Also its just exceding its Powertarged (sometimes up to 150w) although it is set at 88wTDP

Looking at forum Post of other 4790k users their auto Voltages usually would be around 1.15V so MUCH lower. After reading some more and watching some Overclocking guides I figured since my Mainboard didnt really seem to know what it was doing i would just set all my important Bios settings manually (Like Vcore, RingV ect). Lowering it to 1.25Vcore and 1.12 RingV has basicly been stable for the last two years and even granted me a bit of an overclock to 4.5Ghz.  

Now after two years i m still woundering what causes my Mainboard to set the Auto Voltage to 1.44V tho... 

I am just a bit worried that i might damage the Cpu by having it run at 1.25V all the time (for some reason the Voltage Offsetoptions are greyed out) and want to adjust the Voltage so it can relax a bit when its not under load...

So i tried flashing a new BIOs onto my Mainboard, version F7 to be exact (the newer ones only seem to adress Gen5 Cpus), but that didnt change anything...

Anyone have ideas whats going on or what i might want to change in my Bios?

PC specs:

CPU: i7-4790k cooled with a Noctua NH-D15

MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H (rev1.0)

RAM: 24gb 1600mhz (2*8gb, 2*4gb, i know i m weird)

GPU: GTX 1080 Palit

PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power 11 750w

For the Screenshot below i just set my Vcore back to auto and hit run on cinebench for 5 Secs...

CPU.png

5 minutes ago, Allmonor said:

am just a bit worried that i might damage the Cpu by having it run at 1.25V all the time

you are fine whatever you set under 1.4V basically.

look to see if you have any LLC on, that might be it or it could just be that the BIOS is just crap

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

Classic Intel chipset at work. CPUs base voltage is 1.1V. It should run at that voltage fine. Saying this since I run mild OC for couple of years at 1.15V on 4770K. The autovoltage has issues, your CPU shouldn't be needing over 1.29V, not even under the average OC. And looks like you are running at stock.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

36 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

Classic Intel chipset at work. CPUs base voltage is 1.1V. It should run at that voltage fine. Saying this since I run mild OC for couple of years at 1.15V on 4770K. The autovoltage has issues, your CPU shouldn't be needing over 1.29V, not even under the average OC. And looks like you are running at stock.

My Xeon hasn't ever pulled more than 1.19v on Auto. Never checked my i5's voltages... I wonder if I could manually set the voltage in BIOS and drop it a bit.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Try reducing your IA offset to +0.100 and that should get you down to 1.340.

I run my 4790k with +0.000 and my CPU VCORE peaks at 1.248, but I am Running my CPU at 4.4GHz, so to get the 4.5OC you may need that +0.100.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

First off, thank you guys for all of your input!

On 1/22/2021 at 12:48 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

look to see if you have any LLC on, that might be it or it could just be that the BIOS is just crap

What is an LLC? 😮(edit: Load Line Calibration, ok. Well its been on auto when i was testing it on Auto Cvoltage, but i think i changed it to auto during some manual OC  out of curiosity, but its back to auto now. Should i change it to Normal or standart or something?) I have not really changed anything appart from the Voltages, Cpu Clock or/and Turboboost

18 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Yea, its running very stable under 1.24V @4,5ghz at the Moment, i have no idea why the Mobo thinks it needs 1.44 😕 Seems like the Auto voltage of this board really is just borked for me or something. 

Thank you for moving the threat to the correct section btw, as you can tell im new to the Forum

3 hours ago, grayperview said:

Try reducing your IA offset to +0.100 and that should get you down to 1.340.

How do i reduce my offset  tho? It seems like all those options are greyed out in my Bios, or is it the ones at the bottom? CPU I/O Analog/Digital?

Volt1.png

Volt2.png

On 1/22/2021 at 12:48 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

you are fine whatever you set under 1.4V basically.

Wow, this might acctually be it, i just switched the LLC to Standart and now the Voltage is peaking at 1,248V on Auto. If i can still run 4.5Ghz now i ll be a happy PC owner again! (edit: As soon as i adjust the OC to 4.5Ghz it goes back to 1.44V, at least i can run 4.4Ghz on Auto Voltage now :3) 

Thank you so much!

Another Edit: Well ok, i have found out a bit more about my Bios now, apparently i need to set everything to "normal" rather then "auto" in order to use the offset feature,.. silly me. Anyway, i m still not 100% certian about this LLC thing. According to other Posts theres supposed to be different modes, ranging from 0-100%, with 100% oddly enough meaning no LLC?! but theres only "auto", "normal", "standard", "performance" and "Turbo" settings for LLC in my bios. I set it to normal hoping that will turn it off 😮

I ve learned a lot more about CPU oc today so thank you guys again.

8 hours ago, Allmonor said:

Wow, this might acctually be it, i just switched the LLC to Standart and now the Voltage is peaking at 1,248V on Auto. If i can still run 4.5Ghz now i ll be a happy PC owner again! (edit: As soon as i adjust the OC to 4.5Ghz it goes back to 1.44V, at least i can run 4.4Ghz on Auto Voltage now :3) 

Thank you so much!

Another Edit: Well ok, i have found out a bit more about my Bios now, apparently i need to set everything to "normal" rather then "auto" in order to use the offset feature,.. silly me. Anyway, i m still not 100% certian about this LLC thing. According to other Posts theres supposed to be different modes, ranging from 0-100%, with 100% oddly enough meaning no LLC?! but theres only "auto", "normal", "standard", "performance" and "Turbo" settings for LLC in my bios. I set it to normal hoping that will turn it off 😮

LLC is something manufacturers never seem to really get their heads around how they should label it. Nice that it was just the LLC overcompensating here 🙂

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

14 hours ago, Allmonor said:

I had to do the same, Auto set mine to -0.100 which lead to bluescreens, which took me ages to figure out what was causing them, setting the offset to 0.000 instantly fixed them.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----