FYI Direct X12 ANNOUNCMENT

aselwyn1

Tanks 4 da reminder

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

It is just like re-branded Mantle. I wonder what happens to Mantle now. They were  the ones to bring this first.

thumb900_phpbfwrvsp1010596.jpg

It is just like re-branded Mantle. I wonder what happens to Mantle now. They were  the ones to bring this first.

We've only seen some of the improvements so far. Time will tell.

And real-world performance is always different to these companies' purported performance. Mantle in reality was and is plagued with issues, time will tell if DirectX 12 fares any better.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Turns out AMD has been working "very closely" with MS in development of DX12

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

thumb900_phpp7dvmop1010616.jpg

thumb900_phpothkqcp1010617.jpg

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Sounds like current GPU's could support it

Edit: beaten to it

AMD has been working very closely with Microsoft. So did AMD planned the death of their own Mantle API? What about all the work the developers put into making Mantle version of the games.

Anyways let's see what happens next. We will draw conclusions later.

Also just came an interesting quote from the live broadcast 

There is tension: AMD is trying to push hw forward, MS is trying to push their platform forward.

Edit : It turns out that they also have a partnership with Nvidia, Intel, Qualcomm.

Sounds like current GPU's could support it

Edit: beaten to it

XB1 gets a boost too, PS4 being based on a custom OpenGL API, would have to wait for OpenGL to improve (which is coming, convenient answer to the Xb1 improvement)

AMD has been working very closely with Microsoft. So did AMD planned the death of their own Mantle API? What about all the work the developers put into making Mantle version of the games.

They have stated previously that in order to push the industry forward, they may sacrifice Mantle as it would force improvements upon current API's.

Like a foot in the door....and its done.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Anyways let's see what happens next. We will draw conclusions later.

Also just came an interesting quote from the live broadcast 

Mantle never left the Beta stage. Coincidence? I think not.

Prove a point, then assist in the development of the one to be widely adopted.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Good job AMD! What they wanted all the time. With the push of Mantel, it pushed Microsoft out of the bed to get their shit together. This is a great day for many gamers.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Good job AMD! What they wanted all the time. With the push of Mantel, it pushed Microsoft out of the bed to get their shit together. This is a great day for many gamers.

Read my post above. It appears this is false.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

As a linux gamer myself, I just wish that some of the Mantle makes it into OpenGL also. With the support that AMD gives for its Open Source drivers on Linux, my guess is that it will make to OpenGL too. Let's hope for the best. 

When they say that they are closely working mostly means no love for OpenGL or Linux. I hate that. 

The Forza demo they had @ 60fps, was running in DX12 on a PC in native (Meaning running on an actual PC, not a Console dev kit)

ALSO

NVIDIA said Fermi, Kepler, and Maxwell will be DX12-ready. So like... almost everything since GeForce 400... almost.

So most currently used GPU's, Nvidia & AMD support DX12 right now!

(No Release date yet)

So, even the old DX9 & 10 Cards get a performance boost. Nice. I wonder how they're going to implement this though, as I thought all previous DX gens required some hardware level change to work?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO