How exactly do I use the Corsair 12-pin GPU power cable?

CoolMarquis97

Hello all, recently I purchased the Corsair 12-pin GPU power cable thinking I would solve some cable management issues and go from having to run two pci-e cables (one daisy-chained) to my 3080 into one simple cable. Problem is, I have absolutely no idea if I can use the cable. How are people using these micro fit 12 pin connector cables? Does this only work if I have the Nvidia 12pin adapter that comes with their founder's edition cards? Am I a total idiot and missing something? Tell me I'm not crazy and that I totally can't use this cable without some sort of adapter. (I have a Corsair PSU and a EVGA FTW 3 Ultra 3080)

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The two 8 pins plug into the PSU and the 12 pin plugs into the GPU. 

The 12pin is like way smaller than where its supposed to connect on the gpu. 

do you have a FE card, afaik the FE cards are the only ones that use the 12 pin.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

14 minutes ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

Have you counted the pins on your card? It uses 3x 8pin connectors not a 12 pin. 

10G-P5-3897-KR_XL_8.png

39 minutes ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

Hello all, recently I purchased the Corsair 12-pin GPU power cable thinking I would solve some cable management issues and go from having to run two pci-e cables (one daisy-chained) to my 3080 into one simple cable. Problem is, I have absolutely no idea if I can use the cable. How are people using these micro fit 12 pin connector cables? Does this only work if I have the Nvidia 12pin adapter that comes with their founder's edition cards? Am I a total idiot and missing something? Tell me I'm not crazy and that I totally can't use this cable without some sort of adapter. (I have a Corsair PSU and a EVGA FTW 3 Ultra 3080)

The 12-Pin connector was for the Founders Edition cards. It may be useful going forward (I think nVidia might end up pushing for it going forward), but your GPU uses the traditional 8-pin plugs still. Three of them, even. Either hold on to the cable, if you have a bin/box/drawer (lets be real, we all have one, somewhere...), or if you are one of the 3 people in the world who don't... you can re-sell it or give it to someone who might need it.

Also, that is the adapter. 😜

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

40 minutes ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

Does this only work if I have the Nvidia 12pin adapter that comes with their founder's edition cards?

this cable is for the founder's edition cards, to avoid using the FE included adapter. afaik there isn't a cable that can reduce the amount of wire for that gpu. if anything, i would add a 3rd pci cable, only to avoid daisy chaining.

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The two 8 pins plug into the PSU and the 12 pin plugs into the GPU. 

This cable is also not suitable for a 3080 or 3070 for that matter, you'd need 2 of them to connect only 1 cable into each connector on the card and on the PSU,, which is highly recommended. 

1 hour ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

lol even if it would fit, it's not recommended to use this way, you need *one* separate cable for *each* connector. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

This cable is also not suitable for a 3080 or 3070 for that matter, you'd need 2 of them to connect only 1 cable into each connector on the card and on the PSU,, which is highly recommended. 

The cable is fine for the FE Cards. it uses 2x 8pin from the PSU and goes into the 1x 12pin GPU socket on the Founders Edition cards.

lol even if it would fit, it's not recommended to use this way, you need *one* separate cable for *each* connector. 

yes for a standard 8 pin to 8pin

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

4 hours ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

spacer.png

You dont need that cable as that is only for the Founder Edition cards

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro