Hardwiring Ethernet through flat with router in different room to ethernet cables

Somerb

Hi All,

Hoping you might be able to provide some advice to me please :). I'm generally reasonably tech competent but network set up is an area where my knowledge is extremely limited so I would be very grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

In short I would like to hard wire devices in separate rooms in my flat. What I can't figure out is how to effectively do this.

Current Setup

My wireless router is currently set up in my living room.

Across the hall from my living room I have a cupboard, where all of the ethernet cables feeding each room in the flat are run down from the loft space. These ethernet cables are connected to RJ45 face plates in each room, however are not otherwise plugged in to anything.

Within this cupboard there is a phone line wall connector (not sure what the technical name for the connection is, it is not an RJ45). However there is no power outlet, I suspect this is one of the reasons why originally the router wasn't set up in this location.

Problem

I would like to deliver internet via the ethernet cables wired up to all the rooms, however I am not sure how to connect them to my router without running cables across the floor from the router, across the hallway, to the cupboard in my flat.

I feel as though there should be a way to do this given the cabling is already installed in the walls.

My feeble attempt at guessing a solution

I was wondering whether I can use a network switch that doesn't require power (if such a thing even exists?), but then I also couldn't figure out how to actually deliver the internet connection to the switch.

Is it possible to have an adapter so that I can plug the internet in to my router, but then send back from the WAN port on my router through the same cabling to the cupboard, then have a switch in there that doesn't require power?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ben

17 minutes ago, Somerb said:

Hi All,

Hoping you might be able to provide some advice to me please :). I'm generally reasonably tech competent but network set up is an area where my knowledge is extremely limited so I would be very grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

In short I would like to hard wire devices in separate rooms in my flat. What I can't figure out is how to effectively do this.

Current Setup

Across the hall from my living room I have a cupboard, where all of the ethernet cables feeding each room in the flat are run down from the loft space. These ethernet cables are connected to RJ45 face plates in each room, however are not otherwise plugged in to anything.

Within this cupboard there is a phone line wall connector (not sure what the technical name for the connection is, it is not an RJ45). However there is no power outlet, I suspect this is one of the reasons why originally the router wasn't set up in this location.

Problem

I would like to deliver internet via the ethernet cables wired up to all the rooms, however I am not sure how to connect them to my router without running cables across the floor from the router, across the hallway, to the cupboard in my flat.

I feel as though there should be a way to do this given the cabling is already installed in the walls.

I was wondering whether I can use a network switch that doesn't require power (if such a thing even exists?), but then I also couldn't figure out how to actually deliver the internet connection to the switch.

Is it possible to have an adapter so that I can plug the internet in to my router, but then send back from the WAN port on my router through the same cabling to the cupboard, then have a switch in there that doesn't require power?

Many thanks,

Ben

Morning,

Here is an easy option for you...depending on how electricity is run through your apartment:

Powerline adapters. The plug into the power outlets and deliver  internet to each system.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Computer-Network-Adapters/b?ie=UTF8&node=1194444

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

Now, you say ethernet jacks are in each room already (if I"m reading your post correctly) in which case, you run a cat 5/6 cable from there to each PC, the trick with that is somewhere these have to terminate at a router, and you'd have to find the box where all the wires come out of the walls, that would be where you put your router (and/or switch if you have more cables than you have ports for on the back of the router)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

29 minutes ago, Somerb said:

Hi All,

Current Setup

Problem

Many thanks,

Ben

Well before figuring out a solution on how to feed internet into the network pre-existing in your house you should 1st test if the structured cabling even works. Buy a network tester and test all the wires going to each room.

No reason to move the modem if there is an issue with the structured cabling

14 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Morning,

Here is an easy option for you...depending on how electricity is run through your apartment:

Powerline adapters. The plug into the power outlets and deliver  internet to each system.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Computer-Network-Adapters/b?ie=UTF8&node=1194444

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-powerline-adaptors

Now, you say ethernet jacks are in each room already (if I"m reading your post correctly) in which case, you run a cat 5/6 cable from there to each PC, the trick with that is somewhere these have to terminate at a router, and you'd have to find the box where all the wires come out of the walls, that would be where you put your router (and/or switch if you have more cables than you have ports for on the back of the router)

Thank you for the quick response 🙂

Heh yes you are correct re the ethernet jacks.

I had been looking at these but have never come across them before today - thank you definitely a potential solution!

10 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Well before figuring out a solution on how to feed internet into the network pre-existing in your house you should 1st test if the structured cabling even works. Buy a network tester and test all the wires going to each room.

No reason to move the modem if there is an issue with the structured cabling

Thank you - appreciate it is a big assumption, but assuming that all the cables work what you are saying is that the solution would be to move the router / modem (router and modem are built into one unit) to where all the cables come together?

Just now, Somerb said:

Thank you - appreciate it is a big assumption, but assuming that all the cables work what you are saying is that the solution would be to move the router / modem (router and modem are built into one unit) to where all the cables come together?

You'd have to, as the router/modem (and switch if needed) would have to join all those cables, for the ethernet wall jacks to be functional.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

15 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You'd have to, as the router/modem (and switch if needed) would have to join all those cables, for the ethernet wall jacks to be functional.

Thank you - just makes me question the wisdom of putting all the cables there without a power outlet!

I was hoping I might be able to use a PoE switch that could be powered via the ethernet cable, but even so I guess I'd still have to find a suitable way to link this up to the modem / router. I don't really know enough about how these work to really understand if it would be suitable.

(something like the following: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PVDR1U8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ots=1&slotNum=1&imprToken=40bb900a-9418-38b2-490&tag=arstech20-20&linkCode=w50&ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I suspect this might be overcomplicating things and your initial suggestion is simpler, but interesting to learn more if it's something you happen to know about 🙂

Thanks again for your responses and help!

8 minutes ago, Somerb said:

Thank you - just makes me question the wisdom of putting all the cables there without a power outlet!

Is there no power in the room where all the cables meet? That is odd indeed. My guess is the cables were run as an afterthought and power was supposed to be put there, but that fell through. Ask the landlord perhaps?

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Is there no power in the room where all the cables meet? That is odd indeed. My guess is the cables were run as an afterthought and power was supposed to be put there, but that fell through. Ask the landlord perhaps?

Ah I am the owner of the flat so unfortunately no-one to ask!

It's not an especially old building (maybe 10 years max) so the design does confuse me.

I imagine it would be a bit of an unorthodox solution (and probably not a very good one), but considering whether:

1. wiring my router through the second RJ45 in my living room (which would avoid creating any trip hazards)

2. using a PoE injector to account for my assumption the router can't power a PoE device

3. in the cupboard use a switch that can be powered via PoE, plugged in to the ethernet cable from the second living room RJ45

I'd need to research to understand if the hand off when connecting the ethernet cable to the RJ45 would lose the power, or if it would in fact work at all but does also feel very much like I'm creating a solution to the wrong problem.

All feels very weird given the flat was built with all the ethernet wiring in place to each room, just not hooked up to the router, which makes me feel like I'm missing a very simple solution!

5 minutes ago, Somerb said:

Ah I am the owner of the flat so unfortunately no-one to ask!

It's not an especially old building (maybe 10 years max) so the design does confuse me.

I imagine it would be a bit of an unorthodox solution (and probably not a very good one), but considering whether:

1. wiring my router through the second RJ45 in my living room (which would avoid creating any trip hazards)

2. using a PoE injector to account for my assumption the router can't power a PoE device

3. in the cupboard use a switch that can be powered via PoE, plugged in to the ethernet cable from the second living room RJ45

I'd need to research to understand if the hand off when connecting the ethernet cable to the RJ45 would lose the power, or if it would in fact work at all but does also feel very much like I'm creating a solution to the wrong problem.

All feels very weird given the flat was built with all the ethernet wiring in place to each room, just not hooked up to the router, which makes me feel like I'm missing a very simple solution!

There is a saying, KISS, Keep It Simple Silly. You are overthinking this I feel.

The easiest solution is get power run into the room where all the cables are, and hook up the router there and you are good to go.

1 hour ago, Somerb said:

I was hoping I might be able to use a PoE switch that could be powered via the ethernet cable, but even so I guess I'd still have to find a suitable way to link this up to the modem / router. I don't really know enough about how these work to really understand if it would be suitable.

(something like the following: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PVDR1U8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ots=1&slotNum=1&imprToken=40bb900a-9418-38b2-490&tag=arstech20-20&linkCode=w50&ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I suspect this might be overcomplicating things and your initial suggestion is simpler, but interesting to learn more if it's something you happen to know about 🙂

Thanks again for your responses and help!

EXACTLY that,  i question the too  wisdom of the people putting all the cables, that why i said you should double check everything

2 hours ago, Somerb said:

Hi All,

Current Setup

Problem

Many thanks,

Ben

What kind of internet do you have ?  DSL or CABLE ?  how many meters away is the cabinet with all the networking cables ?

2 hours ago, Somerb said:

Hi All,

Current Setup

Problem

Many thanks,

Ben

To do everything properly you will have to move your telephone line (DSL Modem) or coax cable (Cable modem) to where the cabinet with the Ethernet cables are. Also that cabinet must have at least one power outlet.

Maybe you need help from an electrician to route the cable unless you want to DIY it and route everything externally nailed onto the walls

35 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

There is a saying, KISS, Keep It Simple Silly. You are overthinking this I feel.

The easiest solution is get power run into the room where all the cables are, and hook up the router there and you are good to go.

Yes definitely seems as though I am!

32 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

What kind of internet do you have ?  DSL or CABLE ?  how many meters away is the cabinet with all the networking cables ?

I have DSL internet. The distance from the router to the cables is only maybe 4-5 metres, my main concern would be that it could create a few tripping hazards (or would require careful wiring). It unfortunately could interfere with ~3 doorways in terms of tripping, and 2 doors in terms of closing.

39 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

To do everything properly you will have to move your telephone line (DSL Modem) or coax cable (Cable modem) to where the cabinet with the Ethernet cables are. Also that cabinet my have at least one power outlet.

Maybe you need help from an electrician to route the cable unless you want to DIY it and route everything externally nailed onto the walls

Ah yes just saw this. This does feel as though it would be the case!

I had hoped with the way the flat was designed there was a simple solution that I was missing that didn't require any additional wiring of power cables or additional cable routing.

Thank you both @Radium_Angel@Biomecanoid for all your input 🙂

4 minutes ago, Somerb said:

Yes definitely seems as though I am!

I have DSL internet. The distance from the router to the cables is only maybe 4-5 metres, my main concern would be that it could create a few tripping hazards (or would require careful wiring). It unfortunately could interfere with ~3 doorways in terms of tripping, and 2 doors in terms of closing.

You don't have to run the wire in a straight line you can run the wire around doors and obstacles as much as possible. Maybe you would need to make 1-2 holes thru walls. Nothing you can not do yourself.