Low fps in rust and csgo on a 3060ti

BornOrca
Go to solution Solved by IkeaGnome,
16 hours ago, BornOrca said:

Great thanks, I actually didn’t know that and that really cleared things up for me, I’m gunna go to bed now cuz it’s late but I’ll definitely try that in the morning.

i probably will end up getting this bundle then if it’s decent. I’m just sick of getting fps drops in games like rust when loading in big monuments. 

thanks so much for all your help so far guys, you’ve been great 🙂 

Edit:

really sorry to bother you guys, I had one last question, is it worth upgrading my motherboard and cpu first to  then waiting until I can afford better ram later, or upgrading my ram first?

You CAN use your current RAM with a new motherboard and CPU. New RAM will also help. Once again, I would suggest looking around at more reviews and benchmarks of a 3600 with different RAM speeds. That said, I've always had great luck with Corsair Vengeance. You can go a little cheaper, but it's not let me down on Intel or AMD.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-PC4-28800-Desktop-Memory/dp/B07RM39V5F

Hey guys, when I started playing games on my 3060ti, my frames are lower than I expected. I only reach about 150fps on inferno in csgo and I struggle to keep a regular 60fps in rust. I play in 1440p.

Ive tried setting my power setting to maximum performance

Is this normal? There are areas where I’ll get like 200 fps in csgo but in like mid in inferno and outside in nuke I get like 110 fps sometimes.

how can I go about fixing this if it is not normal? Everything in my system runs at stock. However my fps drops aren’t as bad in games such as apex.

System specs:

ryzen 5 1600

rtx 3060ti

16 GB DDR4 2400 crucial ram

Corsair TX550m power supply

Asus prime a320m k prime motherboard

What's your CPU usage at? If I recall correctly, both of those games are more CPU intensive.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

What's your CPU usage at? If I recall correctly, both of those games are more CPU intensive.

It’s around like 50-60% usage when playing csgo, Around the same for rust sometimes a bit higher. 

About the fps you should get with that cpu so nothing out of the ordinary. Both games use 2 cores fully and then another 2 cores a bit so they are heavily single core reliant. Rust has always been a weird bag.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

About the fps you should get with that cpu so nothing out of the ordinary. Both games use 2 cores fully and then another 2 cores a bit so they are heavily single core reliant. Rust has always been a weird bag.

Ok, I was wondering why it was really just these 2 games lol. I am upgrading soon so hopefully I’ll get better performance. I thought the 1600 could do better than that in cs go ngl, are you sure it is that? Sometimes frame rates can drop as low as 120.

6 minutes ago, BornOrca said:

Ok, I was wondering why it was really just these 2 games lol. I am upgrading soon so hopefully I’ll get better performance. I thought the 1600 could do better than that in cs go ngl, are you sure it is that? Sometimes frame rates can drop as low as 120.

Monitor the cpu's individual cores. Csgo did get a lot harder to run especially the br part

wow. That ram tho for ryzen. Is this the 1600 14nm or the 12nm 1600

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I think the 1440p fps is lower than you expected because of your ram and processor compared to the ram and processors that you typically see benchmarked with the RTX 3060ti. If you upgrade to Ryzen 5600X with 2x8GB 3600 C16 you'll get a big boost. But if you're happy with your current performance maybe its best to wait for Zen 4 next year. Whats the refresh rate on your 1440p monitor? I attatched an image with a bunch of benchmarks of the Ryzen 1600 and RTX 3060Ti.

3060tiryzen1600benchmark1440p.png

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

11 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

wow. That ram tho for ryzen. Is this the 1600 14nm or the 12nm 1600

How do I check, I can’t remember lol I ordered it ages ago 😂.

6 minutes ago, cm992 said:

I think the 1440p fps is lower than you expected because of your ram and processor compared to the ram and processors that you typically see benchmarked with the RTX 3060ti. If you upgrade to Ryzen 5600X with 2x8GB 3600 C16 you'll get a big boost. But if you're happy with your current performance maybe its best to wait for Zen 4 next year. Whats the refresh rate on your 1440p monitor? I attatched an image with a bunch of benchmarks of the Ryzen 1600 and RTX 3060Ti.

3060tiryzen1600benchmark1440p.png

Oh sick, thanks for the detailed reply. My friend recommended to me that I buy a ryzen 5 3600. What will that be like, will that increase my performance in any way. I’m considering upgrading my ram later, maybe for my birthday in a couple months as I don’t have the money for that right now. 
EDIT:

Im on a 144hz monitor.

20 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Monitor the cpu's individual cores. Csgo did get a lot harder to run especially the br part

Never seems to go over like 50%. However I think this is cause of what you said earlier as csgo doesn’t use all my cores, so my total cpu usage won’t be extremely high.

3 minutes ago, BornOrca said:

Oh sick, thanks for the detailed reply. My friend recommended to me that I buy a ryzen 5 3600. What will that be like, will that increase my performance in any way. I’m considering upgrading my ram later, maybe for my birthday in a couple months as I don’t have the money for that right now. 
EDIT:

Im on a 144hz monitor.

5600x would be best but just wait for that to come down in price and get some 3600mhz memory with it for another 10-15% boost. Will need a new board. So basically if you can just wait for am5 i'd say your current system is very nice machine

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Ok, I mean I see a great deal for a ryzen 5 3600 with a b550m motherboard and I’m kinda tempted ngl. I might go for it. Lots of people online say the r5 3600 should be good enough so I might send it. Or will this cpu be just as tragic as my normal one.
edit:

I don’t rly feel like forking out hundreds for a new cpu, the only reason I got a 3060ti was cuz I had to refund my faulty 2060 super. And it was around the same price with better performance. Thanks for the help guys 🙂

35 minutes ago, BornOrca said:

How do I check, I can’t remember lol I ordered it ages ago 😂.

Download cpuz and check

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Download cpuz and check

Hey,

just checked and I’ve got the 14nm version.

43 minutes ago, BornOrca said:

Ok, I mean I see a great deal for a ryzen 5 3600 with a b550m motherboard and I’m kinda tempted ngl. I might go for it. Lots of people online say the r5 3600 should be good enough so I might send it. Or will this cpu be just as tragic as my normal one.
edit:

I don’t rly feel like forking out hundreds for a new cpu, the only reason I got a 3060ti was cuz I had to refund my faulty 2060 super. And it was around the same price with better performance. Thanks for the help guys 🙂

A 3600 would be a really good improvement. I'd look into some benchmarks in games you normally play.

I'm thinking the reason you'd be CPU bound but only showing a small percentage of usage, 50%, would be the way the games are loading the CPU. You have a 6 core CPU. If CSGO is heavily using 2 cores(100%) and you have some background usage, that would average out to 50% on all cores. I'd look at individual core usage instead of overall. If you open task manager. Make sure it is in the expanded view, More Details in the bottom left. Click Performance. Right click the big CPU graph and select Change Graph To>Logical Cores. Sorry if it's something you already know and it got over explained, it's just nice to get it all out.

If you use that graph, I'd be willing to bet 2 are being fully or almost fully used and the rest have a little bit of usage, but for the most part nothing major. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

41 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

A 3600 would be a really good improvement. I'd look into some benchmarks in games you normally play.

I'm thinking the reason you'd be CPU bound but only showing a small percentage of usage, 50%, would be the way the games are loading the CPU. You have a 6 core CPU. If CSGO is heavily using 2 cores(100%) and you have some background usage, that would average out to 50% on all cores. I'd look at individual core usage instead of overall. If you open task manager. Make sure it is in the expanded view, More Details in the bottom left. Click Performance. Right click the big CPU graph and select Change Graph To>Logical Cores. Sorry if it's something you already know and it got over explained, it's just nice to get it all out.

If you use that graph, I'd be willing to bet 2 are being fully or almost fully used and the rest have a little bit of usage, but for the most part nothing major. 

Great thanks, I actually didn’t know that and that really cleared things up for me, I’m gunna go to bed now cuz it’s late but I’ll definitely try that in the morning.

i probably will end up getting this bundle then if it’s decent. I’m just sick of getting fps drops in games like rust when loading in big monuments. 

Edit:

really sorry to bother you guys, I had one last question, is it worth upgrading my motherboard and cpu first to  then waiting until I can afford better ram later, or upgrading my ram first?

16 hours ago, BornOrca said:

Edit:

You CAN use your current RAM with a new motherboard and CPU. New RAM will also help. Once again, I would suggest looking around at more reviews and benchmarks of a 3600 with different RAM speeds. That said, I've always had great luck with Corsair Vengeance. You can go a little cheaper, but it's not let me down on Intel or AMD.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

25 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Ok sick, thanks for the recommendation. My cpu and new mobo came today and I’ve just finished installing them so I’ll keep you guys posted whether this fixed my issue.

thanks for your help 😀

5 hours ago, Voluspa said:

Hey bro just wanted to say thanks for the help. I booted up rust today on my pc with the new mobo and cpu and I'm getting 80 to 90 frames on big maps high pop servers, way better than the 50 to 70 i was getting before. 

Just wanted to say I really appreciate your help you guys have been great