RAM won't overclock past 2133MHz normally on my new build.

Go to solution Solved by DDrouin91,

Quick Update: Went into the BIOS and manually set the RAM Voltage to 1.40v and it looks like it's working fine, even after a couple of restarts. Will keep the thread updated as to if the trick holds up in the next few days.

Hello, so I've been working with PCs for a long time, been watching a lot of builds too. Recently I decided it was time to upgrade my old PC (it was a Dell prebuilt... yeah I know) and I put on a PC Part Picker list. I use my Pc mostly as a Plex media server, but I want to game more on it and am currently waiting for stocks to "normalize" to replace my old GTX 970 with an RTX 3060ti or 3070. I got the parts gradually over a month and started building it about a week ago.

The build went really well and I had no issues on that part.

The real problem is with my RAM... it won't consistently overclock to the correct 3200MHz. I say "consistently" because after messing around with the BIOS I do managed to make it work a couple of times, but if I have to restart the PC for some reasons, it'll go back to the base 2133MHz.

I went online to look up and see if I'm the only one with this issue (and it looks like I'm not) and there seems to have a plethora of solutions to that problem, but sadly, none of them worked for me.

I tried going into the BIOS and manually input the memory clock to 32.00, I manually selected the memory profile, I manually ajusted the DRAM voltage anywhere between 1.35 to 1.39V and I even tried the overclock method using Thaiphoon and DRAM Calculator but nothing worked. That's why I'm turning to this forum.

PC Part Picker list:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/83TbdD

(This build is mostly intended as a Plex media server, that's why I went with the Ryzen 7 and 32gb of Ram)

I don't think the Part Picker list has the exact same RAM I bought so I'll leave the model and link for the specific RAM

Model: F4-3200C16D-32GTZR

https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232748?Item=N82E16820232748

20210116_111003.jpg

20210116_111012.jpg

20210116_111711.jpg

That bottom pic. There is still a peal on that tower. Its hanging off round the edges. I just want to jump into the pic and peal it myself lol

But seriously. You could try a few things. Reset the cmos and try again. Update the bios and see if its a bug thats been fixed. And because its bugging me, replace the cmos battery (the last time i saw a motherboard that wouldn't keep its settings it turned out to be the battery)

Are you setting it manually or using the XMP profile? Use the XMP profile if you havent tried it.

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

43 minutes ago, Digideath said:

That bottom pic. There is still a peal on that tower. Its hanging off round the edges. I just want to jump into the pic and peal it myself lol

But seriously. You could try a few things. Reset the cmos and try again. Update the bios and see if its a bug thats been fixed. And because its bugging me, replace the cmos battery (the last time i saw a motherboard that wouldn't keep its settings it turned out to be the battery)

Ahahahaha I wanted to wait until it was set on my desk before peeling it XD

I can confirm that the bios is running the latest firmware available (F30), also what's bugging me is that it's not that the mobo is not keeping the settings, I can confirm that the bios settings for XMP and everything that I change are kept even through a PC restart... So I basically reset the BIOS to the deffault settings, than start windows, check the RAM (it's running at 2133MHz). I go back into the BIOS, turn on XMP (it shows the default speed to 32.00 automaticall), save and exit, in windows it's still running at 2133MHz and if I go back into the BIOS it shows that my XMP profile is set to 1 (it's the only option on my bios) but it clearly shows the RAM as running at 2133MHz... 
I really don't get it...

39 minutes ago, cm992 said:

Are you setting it manually or using the XMP profile? Use the XMP profile if you havent tried it.

I first tried putting everything in auto with XMP profile set to "Profile 1" which is the only choice with my particular motherboard (Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite). And when it didn't work, I went ahead and set the clock speed, the "memory profile" and the DRAM voltage manually. And what's really odd is that it sometimes work... so I would do that and when I boot into windows it shows as running at 3200MHz, but then, I restart the PC and it shows as running at 2133MHz... and if I go back into the BIOS all of the settings are the same as when I changed them....

2 hours ago, DDrouin91 said:

I first tried putting everything in auto with XMP profile set to "Profile 1" which is the only choice with my particular motherboard (Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite). And when it didn't work, I went ahead and set the clock speed, the "memory profile" and the DRAM voltage manually. And what's really odd is that it sometimes work... so I would do that and when I boot into windows it shows as running at 3200MHz, but then, I restart the PC and it shows as running at 2133MHz... and if I go back into the BIOS all of the settings are the same as when I changed them....

I have the x570 Aorus Ultra on the newest BIOS Update and my XMP Profile doesn't work in any way. Also manual overclocking of the memory changes nothing. Any Tips? I got G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3000 2x8gb

3 hours ago, DDrouin91 said:

I can confirm that the bios is running the latest firmware available (F30), also what's bugging me is that it's not that the mobo is not keeping the settings, I can confirm that the bios settings for XMP and everything that I change are kept even through a PC restart... So I basically reset the BIOS to the deffault settings, than start windows, check the RAM (it's running at 2133MHz). I go back into the BIOS, turn on XMP (it shows the default speed to 32.00 automaticall), save and exit, in windows it's still running at 2133MHz and if I go back into the BIOS it shows that my XMP profile is set to 1 (it's the only option on my bios) but it clearly shows the RAM as running at 2133MHz... 
I really don't get it...

What Windows / Task Manager shows is not ALWAYS correct.

There have been times where it will show the correct DRAM frequency, and times where it will show the JEDEC standard (e.g. 2133 MHz), or the actual frequency.

DDR4-3200, effective frequency = 3200 MHz, actual frequency = 1600 MHz.

The quick sure way to check if your DRAM is running at XMP is use something like CPU-Z, and click on the 'Memory' tab.

If XMP is enabled, you should see:

• DRAM Frequency -- 1600
  • FSB:RAM -- 3:48
  • CL -- 16
  • tCRD -- 18
  • tRP -- 18
  • tRAS -- 38

Almost something like this (quick Google search image for example)

Memory Straps and Explaining Frequency vs. Data Rate - Memory Scaling on  Ryzen 7 with Team Group's Night Hawk RGB

If your Gigabyte board is like my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, when you are tweaking the DRAM frequency and timings, *sometimes* it doesn't save properly. What I need to do, if it happens...

1. Reset BIOS to default,
  2. Save and exit,
  3. Let system load into the Windows login screen,
  4. Reboot and ,
  5. THEN apply the changes.

Maybe because I am (intentionally) on an older BIOS, and I was fine-tuning my DRAM kits

(overclocking pass XMP spec, and manually tweaking the primary + secondary + tertiary timings, etc) 

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

4 hours ago, DDrouin91 said:

I really don't get it...

I have the exact same problem. Maybe its because of the RAM Brand we use, might not be supported, its just really odd not to get the full potential out of a rig. If you find a solution please tell me, I've tried everything so far 🙂

20 hours ago, icy3309 said:

I have the exact same problem. Maybe its because of the RAM Brand we use, might not be supported, its just really odd not to get the full potential out of a rig. If you find a solution please tell me, I've tried everything so far 🙂

I've seen people say that on other forums as a "solution" but I call BS on that, the RAM is listed as supported for the CPU I use dans I managed to make it work a the advertised frequency more than once so it's doable...

21 hours ago, -rascal- said:

What Windows / Task Manager shows is not ALWAYS correct.

There have been times where it will show the correct DRAM frequency, and times where it will show the JEDEC standard (e.g. 2133 MHz), or the actual frequency.

DDR4-3200, effective frequency = 3200 MHz, actual frequency = 1600 MHz.

The quick sure way to check if your DRAM is running at XMP is use something like CPU-Z, and click on the 'Memory' tab.

If XMP is enabled, you should see:

• DRAM Frequency -- 1600
  • FSB:RAM -- 3:48
  • CL -- 16
  • tCRD -- 18
  • tRP -- 18
  • tRAS -- 38

Almost something like this (quick Google search image for example)

Memory Straps and Explaining Frequency vs. Data Rate - Memory Scaling on  Ryzen 7 with Team Group's Night Hawk RGB

If your Gigabyte board is like my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, when you are tweaking the DRAM frequency and timings, *sometimes* it doesn't save properly. What I need to do, if it happens...

1. Reset BIOS to default,
  2. Save and exit,
  3. Let system load into the Windows login screen,
  4. Reboot and ,
  5. THEN apply the changes.

Maybe because I am (intentionally) on an older BIOS, and I was fine-tuning my DRAM kits

(overclocking pass XMP spec, and manually tweaking the primary + secondary + tertiary timings, etc) 

Yeah I read about that yesterday, but when I checked after work, CPU-Z was listing my RAM at 1065MHz even though XMP was ennabled in the BIOS. I'll have to try your method for the BIOS setup to see if it helps. Thank you for your input.

Quick Update: Went into the BIOS and manually set the RAM Voltage to 1.40v and it looks like it's working fine, even after a couple of restarts. Will keep the thread updated as to if the trick holds up in the next few days.

• 8 months later...

Having same problem but it also shoes in the boys I'm at 2133, tried everything I personally know how to do and it's not worked, I turned on docp nothing adjusted fclk nothing

Specs:

Asus tif b450m-pro gamin

Ryzen 5 3600

32gb vengance pro rgb rated for 3200mhz

6600xt

Either a 650 or a 750 thermaltake psu gold rated