Intel to renew commitment to desktop PCs with a slew of new CPUs

AMD still is a thing you know :P

just like VIA is still a thing :P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Is it just me or does anyone else want one of those pentium's?

just like VIA is still a thing :P

ROFL

If these are true, it's going to be a very exciting time for cpu overclockers in the next few months.

Am I the only who found this quote incredibly refreshing? Considering nearly everybody else would have come to the conclusion "it must be because the PC market is dying."

No, she's right and TL:DR'ed 3 generations of chipsets. They were not really for desktop uses, the only things they have attempted to improve upon was the power consumption and iGPU

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

No, she's right and TL:DR'ed 3 generations of chipsets. They were not really for desktop uses, the only things they have attempted to improve upon was the power consumption and iGPU

Which is good for the normal mainstream consumer. ;)

Still waiting for the next which is Skylake and i hope a new amd cpu.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

Someone not mentioned in OP's post but is mentioned on Anandtech is that we will also get Iris Pro in desktop CPUs now.

With a bit of luck we might get Crystal Well in LGA chips. That would be pretty awesome.

X99 is interesting as well, but we barely know anything about it. These news are great because it seems like Intel will finally start making big improvements on the desktop again.

We'll wait and see i guess.. if only i had money to buy and extreame edition cpu tho

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

Intel can talk all it likes but what is it actually delivering:

- A laptop focussed CPU and iGPU to the dekstop - hmmmm not going to be very popular. Crystalwell has some marginal performance improvements but its just repurposing a laptop part to the desktop.

- Some really low end CPUs gain overclocking - Good for the budget end of the market, does nothing for the high performance parts.

Devils Canyon brings back the solder instead of tim - righting a wrong done a few years ago with Ivy Bridge.

Its not exactly delivering on the promise of bringing something to the desktop that is worth buying is it?! Not one of those products even remotely convinces me that its got a useful chance of being in my rig, or most peoples rigs here. I mean seriously who is going to be a dual core CPU with no cache these days just because it overclocks?!

Intel can talk all it likes but what is it actually delivering:

- A laptop focussed CPU and iGPU to the dekstop - hmmmm not going to be very popular. Crystalwell has some marginal performance improvements but its just repurposing a laptop part to the desktop.

- Some really low end CPUs gain overclocking - Good for the budget end of the market, does nothing for the high performance parts.

Devils Canyon brings back the solder instead of tim - righting a wrong done a few years ago with Ivy Bridge.

Its not exactly delivering on the promise of bringing something to the desktop that is worth buying is it?! Not one of those products even remotely convinces me that its got a useful chance of being in my rig, or most peoples rigs here. I mean seriously who is going to be a dual core CPU with no cache these days just because it overclocks?!

Are you talking about Iris Pro? If so that just better integrated graphics, the highest end of which has a fairly large L4 cache that is shared between the CPU and GPU.

Would those just be low end? I mean its a Pentium, not a Celeron, or even worse a old Atom. Some of teh desktop pentium's are better deals than the i3's. Also they are only doing it for the anniversary likely as they mentioned nothing about a a overclockable i3, something that I think would actually have a large market.

So they fixed things they did wrong, why's that bad again?

How is making all of their products better a bad thing? Also your sig says you have a 3930K, why would you even be looking at a new rig or CPU? Yo ushould easily be able to wait until Broadwell-E or even Skylake-E which is what im hoping to aim for. Im interested in getting one as I mentioned in a previous post and its for some of the reasons above.

Let there be overclocking!

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

How is making all of their products better a bad thing? Also your sig says you have a 3930K, why would you even be looking at a new rig or CPU? Yo ushould easily be able to wait until Broadwell-E or even Skylake-E which is what im hoping to aim for. Im interested in getting one as I mentioned in a previous post and its for some of the reasons above.

Right there is my problem and Intel's problem. If they aren't producing a CPU that replaces a 3930k, a processor 2 generations old (2.25 years old) then they have a real problem. Back in 2002 if I was still holding a chip from 2000 I would have something that was 1/4 of the speed available, now 2 years on my 3930k competes favourably with Intels mainstream parts and has nothing in its price bracket that beats it, its stagnant. Intel needs to fix that problem else its going to go bust.

Right there is my problem and Intel's problem. If they aren't producing a CPU that replaces a 3930k, a processor 2 generations old (2.25 years old) then they have a real problem. Back in 2002 if I was still holding a chip from 2000 I would have something that was 1/4 of the speed available, now 2 years on my 3930k competes favourably with Intels mainstream parts and has nothing in its price bracket that beats it, its stagnant. Intel needs to fix that problem else its going to go bust.

You can't really compare the early 2000 to now though. Back then there was a huge amount of improvements that could be made, and upgrading their CPUs were that hard. Now though they have to spend a huge amount of research and development for fairly minor improvements. You can only improve something a finite amount, and the closer we get to that the harder it becomes.

ARM is currently in the same phase as x86 was in back in ~2000. Pretty much double performance each year, but that too will slow down within a few years.

theres the 4930K and the 5930K or whatever they are going to call that and that could eve be a 8 core. If your looking for a huge performance increase between generations your just not going to see it for a number of reasons. One reason your not going to see vastly more powerful processors for consumers in general is most applications dont need the power. I really dont see your point since there is a reason i plan to upgrade platforms every ~3 years and recommend every 3-5 years. People dont buy a new computer after each new revision comes out and you would be stupid to do so as it would be a waste. You would have to think back to at least to pre-P4 ear at least where this didnt apply