Windows 10 bug corrupts your hard drive on seeing this file's icon.

OnesAndZeroes10
23 minutes ago, RageTester said:

Because I don't run VM on local device, thought we were talking about servers...

It would be handy to run internet on win 98 for older multiplayer games, I have been trying to run windows on a smartphone as a side project... Most people have the phone, but many don't have x86 computers anymore...

Yeah, when I say server I mean a 6th Gen Intel I5 NUC. I don't have any dual core Xeon with 128GB of RAM or nothing like that but it works great for what I need it to and the benefit of using VMWare and ESXi is I can always import and export VMs between them so if I need more horsepower I can just pull the VM onto my main rig and run it from there.

TBF I haven't tried playing games on VMWare for a long time, I know that it is apparently better now than it used to be (with 3d acceleration supported) but I also have PCem on my main rig which lets me emulation real hardware (like SoundBlasters & Voodoos) if I ever wanted to go down that route though the real reason I use PCem is to emulate and learn the mechanics of the old AT Class machines (8088 & 8086).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

What I think is equally shameful is people purposefully seeking out every issue possible no matter how big or small, ignoring the details or if its even valid at all to have a meaningless dig.

I think the news paper just got things out of proportion,speaking like the bug is a big deal and will doom your hard drive,

It brings traffic to their site and references from all over the internet ,which brings them money from advertisement.

It wasn't the person who discovered it that exaggerated it.

So far the only corrupt file that was resulted from it is the file containing the string itself.

If you want to do CHKDSK,but too lazy to go to the command line,you can make a file with the string in it's name.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

to darn bad its like a bad drug and ppl addicted to it

If Microsoft didn't have the software support it has today,Windows 10 would have been forgotten a long time ago.

Windows 7 was the last good OS from Microsoft,before the "Insider" builds of Windows 10 Microsoft had a great quality assurance team thoroughly looking for bugs,and using the proper tools for the task (Who looks for bugs and debugs them at Microsoft now days?,No one)

Now days Microsoft use their customers as quality assurance,and instead of using proper tools they are using trial and error.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

12 hours ago, Vishera said:

I think the news paper just got things out of proportion,speaking like the bug is a big deal and will doom your hard drive,

Yea pretty much, same for most of the past ones too but that's how they survive so I don't really care much about them doing it.

12 hours ago, Vishera said:

Now days Microsoft use their customers as quality assurance,and instead of using proper tools they are using trial and error.

Well no not really, this is another falsehood driven by bad reporting. Microsoft has already spoken to this and actually detailed the restructure. They moved many of the QA team in to the development team and changed their workflow methods to 'more modern' methods of continuous development and integration with a lot more tools for automated test plans. Everyone jumps on this "they got rid of the QA team" train without actually looking in to the details of what was actually done, and just listen to former or disgruntled employees who are anything but impartial.

A lot of the issues, neither unique to Microsoft for that matter, directly come from this push for rapid development and deployment that Microsoft was soundly criticized for not doing by the industry (and internally) so Microsoft changed to doing it. Now instead of every few years getting a larger service pack release with a bunch of issues introduced and fixed over a few months we get constant changes every few months and a trickle of bugs that to us feel like they never end, because well that is the truth and situation behind these development methodology mindsets which it is why my opinion of it is not good. Leave the bleeding edge to the startups and application developers, has no place in OS development cycle and far as I'm aware only Microsoft does it (Apple doesn't and Linux as much stricter release to GA status).

Windows current issues have more to do with methodology than lack of QA. You'll never find all the bugs but if you release changes every month you'll have bugs in all likelihood every month. For what ever reason stability is no longer a focus, unless you use LTS release and/or only apply security updates. 'Quality (hah) and Feature Updates' are the ones to avoid if you actually like stability but unless you run WSUS you don't get a choice.

14 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Well thats what happens when you have the umpteenth report on a data corrupting bug for an OS that is already labeled as a bugfest and shouldve been thrown into the rubbish bin where it belongs.... (to darn bad its like a bad drug and ppl addicted to it)

Coming from someone who didn't bother to read that this entire story is not correct at all holds about as credibility and a colander holds water. Again the issues just aren't as bad as you want to make out.

'Quality (hah) and Feature Updates' are the ones to avoid if you actually like stability but unless you run WSUS you don't get a choice.

Most IT admins don't use WSUS to deploy for a whole host of reasons. Nowadays, they perform patch management with an RMM service.

Did you know that KB updates often go through multiple revisions themselves even though the number doesn't change? It's true. Which is why most patch deployment occurs several weeks after initial release from MS in the event it gets recalled and re-released from a serious bug. So, there is a conservative cool-down period to ensure your machines don't become...ahem.."beta tested". The only exception would be if it's known critical zero-day exploit where it needed to be patched yesterday.

23 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Most IT admins don't use WSUS to deploy for a whole host of reasons. Nowadays, they perform patch management with an RMM service.

Pretty sure majority still do, even if it's just to download them. We actually use SCCM which leverages WSUS to get the catalogue information but we simply do not allow servers to just go out and get Windows Updates directly from Microsoft.

Regardless without WSUS (or Windows Update for Business, not actually used it nor want to) you cannot pick and choose which updates you get if you go direct to Microsoft, it's not supported anymore. Tools such as SCCM just sync the Windows Update catalogue to get the KB direct download link and then download them and manually install, however they choose to do that.

23 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Did you know that KB updates often go through multiple revisions themselves even though the number doesn't change?

Yes, but I also do not sync or download any updates until two weeks after release anyway, for that reason.

Windows current issues have more to do with methodology than lack of QA. You'll never find all the bugs but if you release changes every month you'll have bugs in all likelihood every month. For what ever reason stability is no longer a focus, unless you use LTS release and/or only apply security updates. 'Quality (hah) and Feature Updates' are the ones to avoid if you actually like stability but unless you run WSUS you don't get a choice.

... that's pretty much exactly my whole issue with windows... 

I've never bought into the meme they don't have QA, I just think they're not doing a good job overall, and especially the "feature" stuff is terrible... I simply don't want it, I don't like change for changes sake... 

Btw, I did fully disable updates (except for some reason defender still receives updates and functions normally, as far I can tell...) and I must say, it's like I always thought it should be, efficient, stable... silent...

Stuff literally 'just works' which somehow never was the case when this trusted installer guy was still around, I never liked him... 

BTW I didn't read the last page (I guess?) so it is like we already suspected - this 'serious' threat doesn't do much, huh... (gonna read it now in case I missed something) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

A lot of the issues, neither unique to Microsoft for that matter, directly come from this push for rapid development and deployment that Microsoft was soundly criticized for not doing by the industry (and internally) so Microsoft changed to doing it. Now instead of every few years getting a larger service pack release with a bunch of issues introduced and fixed over a few months we get constant changes every few months and a trickle of bugs that to us feel like they never end, because well that is the truth and situation behind these development methodology mindsets which it is why my opinion of it is not good. Leave the bleeding edge to the startups and application developers, has no place in OS development cycle and far as I'm aware only Microsoft does it (Apple doesn't and Linux as much stricter release to GA status).

Well, there should be a difference between the CI unit/integration testing and the type of monkey testing a QA team would be doing to try and maximize coverage of everything. In all likelihood, Microsoft’s unit/integration testing is still probably mediocre, hence why they continuously face issues with their updates (which isn’t surprising, windows is large and complex with layers of garbage, it’s probably nearly impossible for them to get full code coverage). That’s not to say a QA team would fix the issues though. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Again the issues just aren't as bad as you want to make out.

When an OS has data corrupting bug introduced on a regular basis it is a bigger issue regardless of severity. :old-dry:

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

When an OS has data corrupting bug introduced on a regular basis it is a bigger issue regardless of severity. :old-dry:

For the best part of 20 years Linux allowed the user to delete the entire of the root filesystem with a single command, It took said command to reach meme status before most distros even bothered adding a warning when it was issued.

I realise I don't keep up with all the Windows news however I can't recall a bug like this ever happening in Windows before. I remember the OS was uninstalling software and deleting files during upgrades a few years back but that wasn't "data corruption".

It seems as though you're making a bigger mountain out of a molehill that the person who wrote the article in the OP did.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

For the best part of 20 years Linux allowed the user to delete the entire of the root filesystem with a single command

Apple vs orange.....

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

Except it's not regular and nether wide spread and actually applicable to all users, none so far have been that. One was a bug in chkdsk on specific platform and SSD models and the other was only if you had configured a non standard redirection setting for some of your User folders.

So it's neither regular and certainly not wide spread.

There's been more data corruption issues in BTRFS and those didn't require specific hardware nor specific configurations outside of normal usage, the only people that ever talked about these were people actually impacted by it, weird huh.

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Except it's not regular

https://www.howtogeek.com/660971/windows-10s-bugs-are-teaching-the-importance-of-backups/

Windows 10’s Bugs Are Teaching the Importance of Backups

If it werent regular article's such as this wouldnt exist..... You can try to argue against it further but facts are stubborn things.

46 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

https://www.howtogeek.com/660971/windows-10s-bugs-are-teaching-the-importance-of-backups/

If it werent regular article's such as this wouldnt exist..... You can try to argue against it further but facts are stubborn things.

So exactly what I said, you want to see that there are issues so there are issues 🤷‍♂️

Firstly the article is pointless and itself proves how not 'regular' they are, limited in scope, or didn't even cause data loss at all with some just simply moving files. Of that entire thing the single and only one it mentioned that actually has loss of data is the one from 2018, the other actually in existence one came after the article so I don't expect clairvoyance. 

These articles exist for the same reason you keep posting about them and make these 'regular' not regular claims, doesn't prove anything other than 'the sky is falling'.

Now if we could all just move on from nothingness events but alas that seems like too much to expect.