RTX 3060 Ti or RTX 3070?

Oliver_W

Hi there,

I am looking into purchasing a new graphics card to replace my GTX 970 with either a RTX 3060 Ti or the RTX 3070. However, I am not sure which one to go for. The reason for the upgrade is that my current card can't run the main application I run (Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D v5), and it always runs out of VRAM. I've heard that RTX 2080 Super's crash and run out of VRAM, so which card would be better to go for. Ideally I would get an RX 6800, but at the current UK prices they're way too much money for me.

Many thanks, from Oliver

3060 Ti

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

if you need the VRAM go with AMD or wait for Nvidia refresh with rumored 12-20GB. :o

3060ti /70 have the same extremely low amount of VRAM as the 2080 super, meager 8Gigs  ☠ 

PS: really looks like 6800 are sold out anywhere or 1000 euros minimum ... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

its not that bad considering the vram itself should be faster

But even with the faster VRAM, would that still be enough?

15 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

its not that bad considering the vram itself should be faster

Faster vram doesn't matter it's not gonna fix the issue of it not having that much. Like mid range 3 year old cards had 8gb too.

5 minutes ago, Oliver_W said:

But even with the faster VRAM, would that still be enough?

Nope, at least for games it doesn't help much, if more than 8GB are required you'll run into issues or crash! (tested it myself with the masterful remake of Resident Evil 3...)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Nope, at least for games it doesn't help much, if more than 8GB are required you'll run into issues or crash! (tested it myself with the masterful remake of Resident Evil 3...)

So I've been looking around at the expected specs of the 3070Ti, and they're estimating 10GB of VRAM, so from that I'm thinking even the 3070Ti wont be enough

18 minutes ago, Oliver_W said:

So I've been looking around at the expected specs of the 3070Ti, and they're estimating 10GB of VRAM, so from that I'm thinking even the 3070Ti wont be enough

Who knows though - there has to be some minimum / recommended specs for the software you're using, you should probably check that to be sure. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Who knows though - there has to be some minimum / recommended specs for the software you're using, you should probably check that to be sure. 

The devs recommend 8GB of VRAM or More with the base game, but because I will be running so many more addons on the software, it will easily crash out with 8 GB VRAM, and it even crashes out with 11GB 2080Ti's fairly often as well

6 minutes ago, Oliver_W said:

The devs recommend 8GB of VRAM or More with the base game, but because I will be running so many more addons on the software, it will easily crash out with 8 GB VRAM, and it even crashes out with 11GB 2080Ti's fairly often as well

This is actually incorrect (looked it up) recommended is 8GB +

1765943210_Screenshot_20210111-210622_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.60f1c530eac8903cbaa6df8f76702aff.jpg

which is why you're running into issues with only 8Gigs... 

So yes a 2070ti with 10GB should be totally fine (note the 2080ti has 11GB, but recommended is anything "above" 8GB...)

PS: about the 2080 ti crashing, I see... so I would really try to get a 6800 /xt or wait it out, but new Nvidia cards won't be much cheaper or anything either. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3060 ti. The performance edge of the 3070 is not enough to justify paying extra. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

This is actually incorrect (looked it up) recommended is 8GB +

1765943210_Screenshot_20210111-210622_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.60f1c530eac8903cbaa6df8f76702aff.jpg

which is why you're running into issues with only 8Gigs... 

So yes a 2070ti with 10GB should be totally fine (note the 2080ti has 11GB, but required is anything "above" 8GB...)

Basically, In Prepar3D, the base game itself will be fine with 8GB. However, when you install addons for the simulator, like better textures, new DLC's which use much higher amounts of VRAM, then the threshold will increase massively. The Prepar3D is more like a framework, of which you then install loads of modules on to build it up.

1 minute ago, Oliver_W said:

Basically, In Prepar3D, the base game itself will be fine with 8GB. However, when you install addons for the simulator, like better textures, new DLC's which use much higher amounts of VRAM, then the threshold will increase massively. The Prepar3D is more like a framework, of which you then install loads of modules on to build it up.

yeah, I figure, so either AMD 16GB or wait for Nvidia refresh... or a 3090 I guess... 

Btw can't you like just lower settings or something? might not be an option though 🤔

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, I figure, so either AMD 16GB or wait for Nvidia refresh... or a 3090 I guess... 

Btw can't you like just lower settings or something? might not be an option though 🤔

On my current GTX 970, even with low settings, I can rarely run the application for more than a few hours without a crash. So far then, it looks like it will probably be the RX6800

• 4 weeks later...

If I were you I would wait to see more 3060 benchmarks and then see if 12 gigs of vram with hope for your application but also look at the 3060 TI at the application as well Overall I would wait to see if the extra be around were to help In your application with the 3060 But if you can afford a 3090 it has 24 gigs of vram so you got to think of that too 

On 1/11/2021 at 10:58 AM, Oliver_W said:

Hi there,

I am looking into purchasing a new graphics card to replace my GTX 970 with either a RTX 3060 Ti or the RTX 3070. However, I am not sure which one to go for. The reason for the upgrade is that my current card can't run the main application I run (Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D v5), and it always runs out of VRAM. I've heard that RTX 2080 Super's crash and run out of VRAM, so which card would be better to go for. Ideally I would get an RX 6800, but at the current UK prices they're way too much money for me.

Many thanks, from Oliver

They are kinda the same, just that the 3070 has around 10+ more fps. So if you want 10 more frames for 100$ more go for it