Doom eternal lag spikes, 65% cpu and core usage on avg, lag spikes, stuttering, is my cpu the problem?

I have recently built a new pc thanks to someone who claimed he knows stuff about hardware.

The problem is - when I play doom eternal on 1440p (1080p is worse in terms of that) my cpu usage gets above 65-70% 

That causes small stuttering and lag spikes which are pretty pretty annoying, I don't have any kind of software runnign in the background,

I have disabled the steam overlay, I have updated my bios, my gpu and cpu drivers to their latest versions, windows is updated too, 

my nvidia 3d settings are optimized for gaming, my windows settings are optimized for gaming.

I have tried playing with g sync on and v sync on, the stuttering kinda disappears but the game becomes slower and 

quickswapping and basically everything that I could do faster before turning g sync on with it on is not possible so I play without it.

So, do u think upgrading my cpu to 5900x could fix my issue or there is something wrong with the game?

ps: temps are okay, both on the gpu and the cpu but the cpu usage is insaneee, do I need a nasa cpu to play 

doom eternal without stuttering I don't get it.

my pc :

cpu : amd ryzen 5 5600x (stock 3.7ghz, tried the turbo boost but it does not help so i play without it)

gpu : gigabyte rtx 3080 vision oc 

ram : 2x8 kingston hyperx predator 3600mhz

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

Do you have ram in slots 2 and 4 and xmp enabled?

yeah 2 and 4, xmp profile 1.0 at 3600mhz enabled.

That's just how games work, with unlimited framerate there *will* be variations depending on which parts you're at and what's happening on screen.... doesn't look like anything is wrong with your pc. 

If you want a stable framerate you have to lock it somehow... I'd try 240fps... that seems reasonable... 

With unlocked framerate you'll also get uneven frame times btw, which is completely counter productive for anything that requires fast reactions. 

13 minutes ago, b0ne- said:

quickswapping and basically everything that I could do faster before turning g sync on with it on is not possible so I play without it.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

That's just how games work, with unlimited framerate there *will* be variations depending on which parts you're at and what's happening on screen.... doesn't look like anything is wrong with your pc. 

If you want a stable framerate you have to lock it somehow... I'd try 240fps... that seems reasonable... 

With unlocked framerate you'll also get uneven frame times btw, which is completely counter productive for anything that requires fast reactions. 

Yeah I wanna play with 250 fps because when u play with 300 and 350 the artificial intelligence in the game is actually faster in every way - reaction time, precision, demons even spawn faster that is not really the problem.

Problem is that I get a lot more input lag having 165 fps (if i cap my fps to my monitor's refresh rate) than having fps_max 0.

Ty for the suggestion 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have same issue.

Anyone can help me to fix ?

I have I9 10900 / RTX 3080 / 64 GB

I play 3440 1440 100 hz

In gforce experience i have settings optimized.

I runed all OCCT tests without any errors.

Randomly, i have CPU usage at 50 during less than on sec. Its very anoying.

Thanks for your help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCcH31A5j4Y

That is absolutely normal cpu usage,but the stuttering is what is bothering me,i dont realy get why its happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Today , got new nvidia driver , and doom eternal update. Was hoping to fix . But still same issue , please anyone can help ? Thats more than a month that i try to fix.

Thanks.

Thats 3 months i try to find the issue.

I think Culpit is CAM software. I have Z63 NZXT Cooler

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I don’t have a solution, but can say I have the same issue. It usually occurs when entering a new area and or just starting the game. The only happens once or twice then it’s buttery smooth, but still annoying to say the least, especially when playing with a 6800xt/5600x. I am exploring every Avenue to try and fix this annoyance. My first thought is maybe this is happening because I am running the game off my HDD and not ssd (ssd is pretty much full) but then again, it only Happens with doom eternal. Hope we can find a fix because I love this game 😁

ryzen 5 5600x

32gb ddr4 3200

rx 6800xt reference model 

So I've got the same symptoms as described by the OP and I don't have a solution but thought I'd share my experience.

I played Doom Eternal on a Ryzen 1600 with a GTX970 and 16GB of 3200MHz Ram. It ran smooth as silk on that system with a 1440 resolution and "High" graphic settings. I heard the game wasn't that hard to run so I never thought much of it.

I upgraded to a Ryzen 3600 with a RTX 3070 and 16BG of 3600MHz Ram. Now I get the stutter and lag described by the OP. I've tried hundreds of different settings, including the setting the graphics from low thru Ultra Nightmare along with more granular adjustments, 1080 and 1440 resolutions, vSync, Triple Buffer, gSync, external frame limits of 100fps and 240fps. But I still can't get rid of the problem.

I can see occasional red blips in the "CPU row / Max column" of the Doom Eternal Performance Metrics. I suspect this means the hitches are somehow being caused by my GPU having to wait on my CPU. However, I have read on several forums that having an occasional red blip here is normal for many people and is not causing them any problems. Still, I think this hints at my problem and that those personal accounts are red herrings.

At any rate, I'd love to hear if anyone has solved this yet, other personal accounts, or suggested solutions.

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here,   running a 5900X with 64GB RAM @3600mhz and RX6800.  As some have stated there is a bit of a "blip" when loading a new area and then it is buttery smooth.  The GPU is constant usage and then a spike occurs and it literally hitches for a split second and then returns to normal.  Makes no sense.  All updated drivers, OS and BIOS.  I notice this only happens on this game.  No issues with Warzone or Cyberpunk.  My guess is it's Vulkan?  either way it's pretty annoying and I can't seem to find a fix.  I've tried all the Vsync settings and I also have an AMD freesync monitor.  The game is absolutely playable, I just wish it wouldn't micro stutter here and there.  Also have the game installed on an NVME WD Black drive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 7:45 PM, delhang said:

Same issue here,   running a 5900X with 64GB RAM @3600mhz and RX6800.  As some have stated there is a bit of a "blip" when loading a new area and then it is buttery smooth.  The GPU is constant usage and then a spike occurs and it literally hitches for a split second and then returns to normal.  Makes no sense.  All updated drivers, OS and BIOS.  I notice this only happens on this game.  No issues with Warzone or Cyberpunk.  My guess is it's Vulkan?  either way it's pretty annoying and I can't seem to find a fix.  I've tried all the Vsync settings and I also have an AMD freesync monitor.  The game is absolutely playable, I just wish it wouldn't micro stutter here and there.  Also have the game installed on an NVME WD Black drive.

Don't waste your time looking for a way to fix this, I upgraded my cpu from 5600x to 5950x and I still get the lag spikes and the stutters, I upgraded my ram to 4000mhz g skill but still no difference the problem is not in your pc but in the game itself

I tried at least 40 things to have it fixed but no luck - it's just the game and the developers fucked up if u ask me.

My last hope for this game to be fixed is the upcoming rtx / dlss update (June 29th) but I highly doubt it.

Don't play the game but it sounds like your CPU cannot keep up.

What happens if you lock your fps to 144 or 165?

Are these issues still occurring when rendering at 4k ?

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

• 5 months later...

Was a fix ever found? My FPS does drop with that CPU spike unlike some people that commented here

I think a Ryzen 5 5600X isn't the right choice for a RTX 3080. I would have rather gone with either a Ryzen 7 5800X or a RTX 3070/3070ti. Unless that, this game should perform better. I dont know if you have had a popup screen when starting DOOM because the Nvidia drivers Issue the game experience. It was the last game ready treiber with .12.