Planning future upgrades -- to upgrade to a new GPU or CPU first?

Wrenspeak

Hey all,

Like many posts I've scanned I'm planning upgrades for my current desktop. I am not very hardware savvy -- still learning the ropes, and I'm trying to determine what upgrade would make the best investment.

Some important system info:

Mobo: Gigabyte AX370-Gaming-CF

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: Radeon RX 580

RAM: 16.0 GB

I'm drooling a little at the possibility of ray-tracing with a new GPU, but I'm not tech-smart enough to understand if upgrading the GPU would cause a CPU bottleneck, nor tech-savvy enough to glean the needed info from other posts on this site.

Help a gamer out? 

I play a bit of everything, but estimate I play about: 50% rpgs, 15% mmos, 15% some pvp, 15% good amount of co-op survival games, 5% dinky little indie games.

Have a screenshot of the Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark on "highest." 

905589194_SOTBBenchmark.png

Your motherboard is compatible with Ryzen 3000 but not Ryzen 5000. If it weren't for supply shortages on everything I would recommend you throw in a Ryzen 3600. Graphics cards are even more tough to get right now, especially at reasonable prices. Whats your budget?

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

Welcome to the forums!!!

You would most likely benefit more from a CPU upgrade to something like a 3600 or 5600 (go for the 5600 if you can find one that is). The only thing is I would recommend getting a B450 motherboard to power such a CPU. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

There are barely any ray tracing games rn and of those there are it barely if at all makes a difference that you'll notice after playing the game for 30minutes. Besides nothing is in stock and is overpriced to all hell right now anyways so just wait.

Sure bottlnecks will happen but it totally depends on what you want right now that isn't ray tracing. Higher resolution, fps, settings,...

Given the current and quite severe supply issues, I’d say that if you don’t depend on the system for income (and barring a lucky snag of a GPU), waiting for the 4XXX series and doing a full system build will probably be a prudent idea. You’ll have a more capable ray tracing card, and more games that actually support it by then. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

My current budget is $800. I am willing to hold out and save more depending on the returns.

Thank you for the quick responses! So I'm hearing a CPU upgrade may be better, and either a 3600 or a 5600 (though they may need a motherboard upgrade for power purposes)?

Ideally I'm looking for higher FPS. I get some screen tearing in some games rn. 

I definitely don't depend on the high quality graphics for income. Thank you for the suggestion Zodiark1593. I am okay waiting for newer parts to release. I have heard about the crazy shortage right now...

7 minutes ago, Wrenspeak said:

(though they may need a motherboard upgrade for power purposes)?

Not really “power purposes”, if they want Ryzen 5000, they need a new MoBo, its not compatible with x370. They need at least B450

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down