$1000 USD for CPU and Motherboard... Decisions?

I'm doing more than gaming.

I'm going to college soon for Computer Engineering, and I'm going to take lots of electives on video editing/photo editing as well.

Also, this money is specifically set aside for my computer, and nothing else, so I have the money to make the changes.

If you want to blow money, save it for an 8 core Haswell-e cpu. If not, a 4670k will be plenty. Electives in video/photo editing and computer engineering college work hardly need more than even a 2500 let alone an oc'ed 4670k. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you want to blow money, save it for an 8 core Haswell-e cpu. If not, a 4670k will be plenty. Electives in video/photo editing and computer engineering college work hardly need more than even a 2500 let alone an oc'ed 4670k. 

I might depending on the time scale, but currently, all I've heard from anyone that isn't blowing steam, is that everything is coming sometime... At some point...

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

I might depending on the time scale, but currently, all I've heard from anyone that isn't blowing steam, is that everything is coming sometime... At some point...

Well this isn't exactly a small change though. Finally, 8 core extreme edition i7's. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Well this isn't exactly a small change though. Finally, 8 core extreme edition i7's. 

Extreme editions, at least currently, are sitting at 800 bucks for a cheap last gen one?

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Extreme editions, at least currently, are sitting at 800 bucks for a cheap last gen one?

Well I'm not advocating them. It's just that they're coming out before the non-extreme editions are. 

Well I'm not advocating them. It's just that they're coming out before the non-extreme editions are. 

Will the next gen non extreme versions be worth it?

Will the next gen non extreme versions be worth it?

No clue. Wait and see.

For gaming, unless you just have money to blow, no.

No clue. Wait and see.

For gaming, unless you just have money to blow, no.

I more meant the difference between this gen, and next gen.

Yes, I will be gaming on the machine, but I'll be taking classes, and learning Video Editing from a few friends who are great at it. I want something that can handle a heavy workload

I more meant the difference between this gen, and next gen.

Yes, I will be gaming on the machine, but I'll be taking classes, and learning Video Editing from a few friends who are great at it. I want something that can handle a heavy workload

Again no clue. Wait and see.

Unless you're making money off of the projects and the profit from the time saved will make up the difference in price, it's not worth it. 

Have you had problems editing videos with your 8320?

Again no clue. Wait and see.

Unless you're making money off of the projects and the profit from the time saved will make up the difference in price, it's not worth it. 

Have you had problems editing videos with your 8320?

Haven't yet done much work that required tons of horsepower.

So it could be fine for video editing, but it's not good enough for gaming.

Haven't yet done much work that required tons of horsepower.

Seems like you're just needlessly throwing money at an expensive upgrade then.

Seems like you're just needlessly throwing money at an expensive upgrade then.

Read the rest of the post?

It's NOT WORKING for gaming. Even if you ignore the editing part, it's not good enough.

Either way, I guess I'm done asking questions, you obviously don't like the high end processors (which I can't blame you for.)

I get your opinion, I'll go ask somewhere else.

Read the rest of the post?

It's NOT WORKING for gaming. Even if you ignore the editing part, it's not good enough.

Either way, I guess I'm done asking questions, you obviously don't like the high end processors (which I can't blame you for.)

I get your opinion, I'll go ask somewhere else.

I'm referring to 4930k vs 4670k, not upgrading in general. 

Either way, the lowest I'm looking at is the 4770k. In the end, if I quit video editing, or don't do it, I still do have close friends who could employ the computer as a render farm.

@WoodenMarker - Apologies for getting hot headed a few posts ago. Felt as if I was just being shot down

4770k + Motherboard (High end enough to have my required specs) = 300 + 400 = 700 ish dollars.

4930k + Motherboard (Again, High end for my specs ) = 575 + 475 (ish) = 1050 ish dollars

How much difference would a 4930k make in Rendering? 

@WoodenMarker - Apologies for getting hot headed a few posts ago. Felt as if I was just being shot down

4770k + Motherboard (High end enough to have my required specs) = 300 + 400 = 700 ish dollars.

4930k + Motherboard (Again, High end for my specs ) = 575 + 475 (ish) = 1050 ish dollars

How much difference would a 4930k make in Rendering? 

I understand the feeling. Look at me with a 750w psu and a 560 Ti. You can guess what happened. 

It depends what you're rendering and how you're doing so. For video encoding, you should be using the gpu to accelerate the rendering anyway. A decent mid range gpu will easily beat a 4930k in encoding/rendering any day. The difference shows when actually working with the footage and not so much with rendering. 

Look at AE and PP: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-4960x-4930k-4820k_7.html (Again, this is a bit irrelevant for actual rendering)

-snip-

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/63119-intel-i7-4930k-i7-4820k-ivy-bridge-e-review-7.html

Shows the 4930k beating the 4770k (duh), but not by a super ton. 

4930k: 1946.72 pixels rendered per second

4770k: 1347.75 pixels rendered per second

Now, with the 4930k being twice the price... Doesn't seem super appealing... The 4770k is 2/3 the speed at it, but that's still very fast. I guess I'll keep thinking for a little while.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/63119-intel-i7-4930k-i7-4820k-ivy-bridge-e-review-7.html

Shows the 4930k beating the 4770k (duh), but not by a super ton. 

4930k: 1946.72 pixels rendered per second

4770k: 1347.75 pixels rendered per second

Now, with the 4930k being twice the price... Doesn't seem super appealing... The 4770k is 2/3 the speed at it, but that's still very fast. I guess I'll keep thinking for a little while.

Well, this is ray tracing which isn't what will separate the 4770k and 4930k in video editing. What will make the difference is if you're working with projects heavy enough that the 4770k would hiccup with and the 4930k would not or have less troubles with. The difference will be in the smoothness of editing itself, not rendering. If the 4770k doesn't have issues with handling what you're editing, you won't notice a benefit with a 4930k. Same goes with the 4770k from the 4670k. The i7 is only ~30% better than the i5 at best and much of time not much better if at all outside of synthetic environments. 

You could just get away with a 4670k or 4770K for the gaming side of things but I would rather render with the GPU (Cuda or OpenGL) then any CPU.

Well, this is ray tracing which isn't what will separate the 4770k and 4930k in video editing. What will make the difference is if you're working with projects heavy enough that the 4770k would hiccup with and the 4930k would not or have less troubles with. The difference will be in the smoothness of editing itself, not rendering. If the 4770k doesn't have issues with handling what you're editing, you won't notice a benefit with a 4930k. Same goes with the 4770k from the 4670k. The i7 is only ~30% better than the i5 at best and much of time not much better if at all outside of synthetic environments. 

What's the reason for a 4930k then? If nothing sees a boost from it?

Or is there a specific application that it performs well in?

What's the reason for a 4930k then? If nothing sees a boost from it?

Or is there a specific application that it performs well in?

You should get a 4930k when you need one, when a cheaper option doesn't cut it. 

Are we still talking about video editing or uses in general? I hope we're still talking about editing or else the list can go on...

You should get a 4930k when you need one, when a cheaper option doesn't cut it. 

Are we still talking about video editing or uses in general? I hope we're still talking about editing or else the list can go on...

Editing :)

Unless there's a specific grouping (editing, gaming, ect) that it does super well...

Are there any ways to see the differences between them (4770k - 4930k) in numbers?

Editing :)

Unless there's a specific grouping (editing, gaming, ect) that it does super well...

Are there any ways to see the differences between them (4770k - 4930k) in numbers?

This is with the 2600k and 3930k but it's a similar idea regarding 3d rendering: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3930k-3820-test-benchmark,3090-7.html

If we're talking about smoothness of workflow with editing, that's not really something you can describe with numbers--like the ssd experience.

The general reason why you'd get a 4930k is if the time you save is worth more than the price difference. There are few scenarios when a 4670k or 4770k can't do what a 4930k can but just at lower capacities. 

Hello all!

I'm upgrading my computer, and have a budget of $1000 for the CPU/motherboard.

My use case would be Gaming, programming, and video editing in the near future.

The specs that matter, and are carrying over are:

2 EVGA 780 Classifieds

850W Thermaltake PSU

The entire build will be watercooled.

I was thinking about a 4930k for the CPU, is it worth it?

If so, what motherboard?

If not, what's better?

Thanks all for suggestions!

4930K + X79 UP4