Google now selling Chromecast outside the US in 11 countries

AlexGoesHigh

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/18/5522578/google-now-selling-chromecast-outside-the-us-in-11-countries

Google's Chromecast streaming stick has been out for the better part of eight months, but only in the US. The company is changing that today by selling it in 11 additional countries, including Canada, the UK, and much of Europe. Google says it's got localized local video apps ready for some of those places, like offering a BBC iPlayer app in the UK, France TV Pluzz and SFR TV in France, and Watchever for Chromecast users in Germany. Additional apps will also be on the way through the Google Cast SDK, which became available to developers last month.

JUST IN TIME FOR NEW APPS

Google's Chromecast expansion comes just weeks ahead of when Amazon is reported to be shipping its own competitor: a device that will tap into its own video service, along with Netflix, Hulu, and others. Apple too is said to be readying a major update to its Apple TV that could extend it from a simple streamer into a gaming machine and a passthrough device for controlling TVs and set top boxes.

The full list of new countries includes Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden and the UK. Google says it will be on sale through both Amazon and Google Play, as well as local retailers in those countries for £30, €35, and $39 Canadian respectively.

chromecast-dongle-theverge-1_1020.0_stan

@LinusTech review pls this thing seems to be pretty amazing considering its price :D and i would love to hear your opinion about it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

but no Australia  :(

could we just import one from the US

''FX-9590 Hotter than lava''

but no Australia  :(

Don't worry, whenever you feel down about living in Australia, just remember, you have huge ass spiders and shitty internet. There, did that make you feel better? :P

Amazon does not tend to let us import electronics. Might be able to get it through NCIX.ca though. that's how i got my nvidia shield.

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

Don't worry, whenever you feel down about living in Australia, just remember, you have huge ass spiders and shitty internet. There, did that make you feel better? :P

My internet wouldn't be so shitty if the NBN would just hurry the f**k up and roll out.

btw i get 7mbs down 1.5 up. That's considered a very good connection in my area 

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

just big spiders im one of the lucky ones who is on fibre

''FX-9590 Hotter than lava''

just big spiders im one of the lucky ones who is on fibre

Fine, big spiders AND you're upside down. There we go, got you there.

I may be wrong but aren't these kind of redundant now? With BluRay and DVD players coming with 'smart' technology as well as most new TVs and hooking a PC or laptop up to your TV is very simple is this really a great product?

I may be wrong but aren't these kind of redundant now? With BluRay and DVD players coming with 'smart' technology as well as most new TVs and hooking a PC or laptop up to your TV is very simple is this really a great product?

the problem is that smart TV software implementation are crap compared to these also blue rays lacks a lot of the features, and lastly the app support makes it 100 times more versatile 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Netherlands! :D

Doubt I need one though. My sister has a Wii U.

the problem is that smart TV software implementation are crap compared to these also blue rays lacks a lot of the features, and lastly the app support makes it 100 times more versatile

Yeah, exactly. Smart TVs have crappy proprietary software that never gets updated, and depending on brand gets next to no app support. The day my Panasonic TV decides to update it's software, and lets me install Plex, 4oD, BTsport, Lovefilm, ITVplayer, or Spotify. I might consider changing my mind. Not to mention, the experience is painfully slow, it takes almost 5 minutes to navigate through the BBC iplayer interface, my smartphone from 4-5 years ago does a better job than that.

Lol this is a lot cheaper than retailers in Denmark are selling it for. Thanks Google

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

It would work in australia, but you probably can't ship it there. If you want you can ship it to my house and I'll send it to australia! It would be easier to find a retailer that can get it to you though

My internet wouldn't be so shitty if the NBN would just hurry the f**k up and roll out.

btw i get 7mbs down 1.5 up. That's considered a very good connection in my area

We are still going to have shit Internet when we get the nbn coz Malcolm butthole has screwed it up and wants to use what we already have -_-