Tech Stocks

Nicnac

Anyone trading on here and wanna discuss some tech related stocks?

I'm trying to build a portfolio and would love to hear what some people on this forum are invested in.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

I sold all my AMD a few months back. went from around 20 (bought shares at 2 different prices) to 95$

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

I sold all my AMD a few months back. went from around 20 (bought shares at 2 different prices) to 95$

and i just thought about buying some now ^^

Im in it for the long run tho. unless something catastrophic happens I wanna hold most of my stocks for a few years

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

2 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

and i just thought about buying some now ^^

Im in it for the long run tho. unless something catastrophic happens I wanna hold most of my stocks for a few years

it took 2 years for it to climb that much. some people think its got space to run into the low 100
Unless TSMC can find more 7nm capacity they aren't going to be make more chips unless they move to 5nm

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

When bitcoin crashes hard again, I'm going to buy a lot of it. 

Not really interested in much else cuz that takes paying attention and stuff...

You can have some investors/accountants do some work with your money. 

Energy is always good to invest in. I used robinhood for like a month until I figured out I don't know how to get the money out and energy companies can make you some money. 

The only tech stock I own, is Apple.

And I invested when they peaked at $134 a while ago thinking it would keep going up... The very next day it started crashing hard... Bought some more when it went down to $110 to lower my average to $126... Then it finally went back up to $137.. before promptly crapping back down... Wouldn't be surprised if it went even lower for some reason. I'm in it for the long run. Here's hoping they pass the $200 bar within the next 4 years, it would essentially pay for my entire student loan.

Other than that, I mostly invested in things like big pharma, renewables, etc. ... And I got like 0.3 ETH (put in a low amount of $500 that I'm willing to lose). I'm also thinking of buying more when it crash next. Shouldn't be long now. Still don't understand why anyone is buying into Crypto... I just.... Don't get it. People are weird. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

12 hours ago, comander said:

Get VOO or VFIAX and set a rule e.g. "I won't touch this for the next 5 years". 

You'll thank yourself later. 

VGT (Vanguard Information Technology)

23 minutes ago, comander said:

Going back, if you don't mind, explain how, in the apocalypse event you'd be able to use gold without having someone remove your fingers with a bolt cutter?

He said long term investment, not financial security in a post-nuclear apocalypse wasteland where people hunt you down for your gold lol. What will you do with all your huge stock investments in an apocalypse event?

23 minutes ago, comander said:

The only way gold might make sense would be if the world economy collapsed and you had a buffer to barter

You've answered your own question. Gold is and probably will remain valuable to some extent, because of its properties and that we colloquially agree it is worth something. Though physical gold is likely more an insurance rather than a (hugely) profitable investment nowadays.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

16 minutes ago, comander said:

Long term there's little reason to think that gold will outperform the stock market. 

In the next 50 years we're likely to have:
1. incredible robotics advances
2. incredible bio-engineering advances
3. great computational advances (quantum computers are looking to be a thing)

It's unlikely that gold will be a significant contributor to any of those. 

Oh I agree. Gold may not make you a whole lot of money, but your stocks of fancy technology companies will be completely useless after an apocalypse, hence the insurance aspect of gold.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I recently got into stocks, bought some from Netflix, TSMC and Nvidia. Gonna buy some from AMD later on, and I'll wait for the next intel slip (maybe when they fire the current CEO or delay another product) to buy some too.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

8 minutes ago, comander said:

It's NOT a good insurance though. In the extreme edge case (basically 0% chance of happening) you'd likely be brutalized for it - "stop hitting me, the gold is in this spot"

and neither are your stocks. You'll just starve to death because you have nothing.  I'm talking about buying phyiscal gold btw, not investing in some gold company. It has inherent value; present day moneywise or differently. Your imaginary money in stocks of companies does not have any value outside of today's markets and currencies.

Do you really think the entire world will immediately turn into a bunch of savages and start murdering each other for gold once the usual market collapses? I guess we're already doing that for less, but come on. We have truly failed as a species if that's the case.

Also the footnote to that image  is: "Actual actual reality: nobody cares about his secrets. (Also I would be hard-pressed to find that wrench for $5.)". Why would they fight you? They don't even know you own anything if you don't flaunt your assests around. If you do you're an idiot.

Anyway, this is derailing the topic so I'll stop here :)

I recently started dabbling in some cryptocurrency. Not really stocks, but I can see the appeal in dealing in them now.

IMHO, just go EFT. Broad index funds are the way to go. Picking stocks is largely a gamble. I've got my investments in WealthSimple's "Socially Responsible" fund and they've consistently out-performed the regular fund that my brother has his money in (also with WealthSimple).

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

22 hours ago, YellowJersey said:

WealthSimple's "Socially Responsible" 

FYI, if you're doing that for the social responsibility aspect, you may be getting fleeced.  John Stossel recently did a video about it.  Short version: chances are your fund invests in the same companies as normal funds.  

https://reason.com/2020/12/09/dont-believe-the-hype-about-socially-responsible-investing/

But to contribute to the main thread, I'll echo many others: ETFs.  Many of them are heavily invested in tech companies anyways, so if you want "tech stock" just do anything that indexes to the S&P and you'll be 20%+ invested in tech companies.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

37 minutes ago, Rybo said:

FYI, if you're doing that for the social responsibility aspect, you may be getting fleeced.  John Stossel recently did a video about it.  Short version: chances are your fund invests in the same companies as normal funds.  

https://reason.com/2020/12/09/dont-believe-the-hype-about-socially-responsible-investing/

But to contribute to the main thread, I'll echo many others: ETFs.  Many of them are heavily invested in tech companies anyways, so if you want "tech stock" just do anything that indexes to the S&P and you'll be 20%+ invested in tech companies.  

Sonofa...

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

I stock trade pretty casually, because putting money away in banks is a waste of time, and I can trade stocks tax free up until a certain ammount. So I've actually never paid tax on my gains, even if I've withdrawn them and spent some.

Anyway, I owned some LMND shares (afaik they sell insurance using AI or something) which I sold today since I was around 200% up. Sadly I was a bit late getting into LMND, but it's better than a kick in the teeth. As for other tech related stocks, I have some CRSR (9%+) and PLTR (150%+). They're both doing okay, I'll probably be keeping these for a while. I did buy some AMD shares when Ryzen Gen 1 came out and they turned out to be quite promissing. I sold those shares quite recently, and made a healthy profit. Personally I think AMD probably isn't the most lucrative stock on the market anymore, since they've grown so much; but who knows, I know very little honestly.

My other investments include crude oil (in the form of a Crude ETC, which I bought during the Covid crude price drop), ETFs in "Clean" energy (which should go up even more due to the changing political conditions in the US), Gamestop (so I can sell it in a few months after Q4 financials), a British beer company called Marstons (a stronger investment than I thought), Shell (who have recently, finally, started making me money), Israel T-35 ETF, GlaxoSmithKline, some Graphene stocks (which have been performing pretty poorly for me QQ), Hasbro (because I'm guessing we're gonna have a baby boom soon), and some other small investments.

As always, you win some and you lose some, but 2020 was a very good year for me (in terms of stocks at least).

If you want to throw in some money and leave it for a decade or two, I'd probably put it in the S&P500. If you want to try trading individual stocks, which is defo more fun, just be prepared to lose money.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

On 1/6/2021 at 4:43 PM, TetraSky said:

The only tech stock I own, is Apple.

And I invested when they peaked at $134 a while ago thinking it would keep going up... The very next day it started crashing hard... Bought some more when it went down to $110 to lower my average to $126... Then it finally went back up to $137.. before promptly crapping back down... Wouldn't be surprised if it went even lower for some reason. I'm in it for the long run. Here's hoping they pass the $200 bar within the next 4 years, it would essentially pay for my entire student loan.

Other than that, I mostly invested in things like big pharma, renewables, etc. ... And I got like 0.3 ETH (put in a low amount of $500 that I'm willing to lose). I'm also thinking of buying more when it crash next. Shouldn't be long now. Still don't understand why anyone is buying into Crypto... I just.... Don't get it. People are weird. 

If you hold ethereum until proof of stake is emplemented i think you'll make a decent profit.

Of course its not entirely because of this (the other reason is obvious) but i belive one of the reasons the ethereum price is on the rise is due to the DAG size inecreasing past 4gig. A huge protion of miners had their 4gig vram cards become obsolete.

15 minutes ago, mousesnob said:

If you hold ethereum until proof of stake is emplemented i think you'll make a decent profit.

Of course its not entirely because of this (the other reason is obvious) but i belive one of the reasons the ethereum price is on the rise is due to the DAG size inecreasing past 4gig. A huge protion of miners had their 4gig vram cards become obsolete.

🤔

Would that theoretically happen to 8GB cards as well?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

🤔

Would that theoretically happen to 8GB cards as well?

Yes that would theoretically happen. 

However its estimated that it would reach 6 gigs by 2024 and 8 gigs by 2027. Ethereum would most likley have transitioned into Ethereum 2.0 before 2024 though, and as a result no longer be minable.

5 minutes ago, mousesnob said:

Yes that would theoretically happen. 

However its estimated that it would reach 6 gigs by 2024 and 8 gigs by 2027. Ethereum would most likley have transitioned into Ethereum 2.0 before 2024 though, and as a result no longer be minable.

Haha, damn. I was thinking it'd be a good thing to get in right before with some guessing and calculation.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red