What cloning software to use for SSD to NVME m.2 boot drive

stewartnichol93
Go to solution Solved by Xaring,

Last week's j2c video could be handy about now:

Not sure if this is the right place for this but i'm after some freeware that people have experience with cloning drives. I didn't fancy just downloading any old thing off file hippo. Its to use for SSD boot drive to NVME m.2
Also would i be able to clone my boot drive if its in use or what i need to remove my old one and plug them both into a separate pc.

Thanks

Macrium Reflect is what I've used in the past when cloning.

[Main Work / Play: Phanteks Evolv X | Ryzen 5950x | NZXT Z73 AIO | 64GB 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z | EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 | Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4.5TB SSD Storage]
[Wife's System: Asus RoG Z11 | Ryzen 5800X | NZXT Z53 AIO | 32GB 3600MHz S.Skill Trident Z Neo | Asus RTX 3060 Ti Dual OC | Asus RoG X470-I Gaming | 2TB SSD Storage]
[Personal Portable / LAN System: Xbox One S | Ryzen 4700G | Full Custom Loop | 32GB 3600MHz Patriot Viper Steel | ASRock Phantom Gaming X570 ITX/TB3 | 2TB Patriot Viper VP4300]

[Wife's Portable / LAN System: Playstation 3 | Ryzen 5 Pro 5700G | Full Custom Loop | 32GB 3600MHz Patriot Viper Steel | ASRock Phantom Gaming X570 ITX/TB3 | 2TB Patriot Viper VP4300]

Last week's j2c video could be handy about now:

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

I have used Macrium Reflect to clone the drives and then EaseUS Partition Master to join the excess space with the user partition on the new larger drive. Has worked like a charm for this exact purpose.

7 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

Clonezilla

I just wanted to second Clonezilla, especially if you're cloning a Linux disk, though It requires creating a live OS and is a bit more involved. I had problems with the boot loader and had to manually resize the target partition after the fact. If on Windows with a Samsung drive, I found Samsung's free "Data Migration" tool to work quite well with simple push of a button. I thought it was pretty remarkable that it could run from the source disk.

I've been using Mini Tool's Partition Wizard for a few years now without issue. 

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case