Please help me find a printer workaround!

RobV1306

So this is a bit of a strange one to be typing in 2020 (feels more like a 1995 problem) but I'm really hoping some of you can help me find a way around this.

I work for a company that is very anal about IT security. Previously this wasn't a problem but since I've been working at home since March 2020, printing has become an issue. Since I am not permitted to go into the office, I can't print to the networked printers there. Well, technically I can but I wont be able to retrieve my prints until they reopen the offices (whenever that will be) and that kinda defeats the point of printing something.

I therefore decided to buy my own printer - just something basic. I went for a Brother HL-1112. I was very happy when it arrived and promptly plugged it into my personal PC and tried it out. But the problem came when I tried to print from my work laptop. The problem is that the printer requires a driver. On the face of it, that wouldn't be a problem. However, since my company lives in the dark ages when it comes to IT policies, when I rang the IT support line and asked them to install the driver, they simply told me that it was "against company policy" and that I could either print to a networked printer in the office (not useful as I explained before) or to buy another printer that works with the built-in windows driver (for which there is no list and which would require me to just 'lucky dip' printers until one works at my own expense). I'm therefore stuck, still unable to print.

Since there is no method by which I can transfer the files to my personal computer for printing without risking being fired (yep - that serious), I'm now reaching out to you guys in the hope that you can help me find a workaround that will get my printer working with my work laptop.

One more thing that's worth noting that has been implied but not stated - I'm unable to install basically anything onto my work laptop. It's simply not permitted.

Anyone think of any way to get this to work?

Cheers!

Rob

As strict as they are, its there for good reason. We don't help circumvent or get around security measures put in place for a reason. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

if they let it connect to your local network and find other PC you can just get the driver installed on another machine and have windows share it to the network.
We aren't about by passing security, I'd reach out to IT and ask them to provide you with one if you need a printer.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The best bet would be to just find a printer that works with the windows driver, as IT specified. 

The policy is in place for a reason, and it's not worth the risk trying to 'get around security' and doing something that could potentially bring penalties upon yourself for the very act of trying to get around what is in place.

[Main Work / Play: Phanteks Evolv X | Ryzen 5950x | NZXT Z73 AIO | 64GB 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z | EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 | Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4.5TB SSD Storage]
[Wife's System: Asus RoG Z11 | Ryzen 5800X | NZXT Z53 AIO | 32GB 3600MHz S.Skill Trident Z Neo | Asus RTX 3060 Ti Dual OC | Asus RoG X470-I Gaming | 2TB SSD Storage]
[Personal Portable / LAN System: Xbox One S | Ryzen 4700G | Full Custom Loop | 32GB 3600MHz Patriot Viper Steel | ASRock Phantom Gaming X570 ITX/TB3 | 2TB Patriot Viper VP4300]

[Wife's Portable / LAN System: Playstation 3 | Ryzen 5 Pro 5700G | Full Custom Loop | 32GB 3600MHz Patriot Viper Steel | ASRock Phantom Gaming X570 ITX/TB3 | 2TB Patriot Viper VP4300]

28 minutes ago, RobV1306 said:

Anyone think of any way to get this to work?

Personally, I think you are approaching this from the wrong angle to begin with. It's your IT-department's job to handle the technical side and if they are refusing to install a printer-driver, then it's their job to provide you with a printer that does work with their policies. If they refuse, they are not doing their jobs and you should contact your superior.

At the moment, you are taking all this responsibility on yourself -- including any delays that may result from you not being able to print. Taking on the responsibility and blame that doesn't belong to you isn't the smartest thing to do.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Ok. Thanks for the help guys.

While I understand your sentiment, this might be a case of "you've got to know them to understand". It's an outsourced IT support with little understanding (or care for that matter) about why they're doing what they're doing. They are simply blindly following orders and are not empowered to challenge them when blatantly wrong. It's not that this is a well thought through and reasoned policy, they just never thought of it and now can't be bothered to make necessary changes.

I completely understand that they cannot simply allow anyone to install anything on their work PC but it simply doesn't make any sense not to help with a very simple printer driver from a trusted manufacturer. IMO, they simply CBA.

Thanks again though. I think I'm against a brick wall and there's no point in even pursuing this any more.

Not sure if this will help. But if you go to add a local printer. Once you select the port (most likely USB) you should see a list of all the local drivers for printers by manufacturer. You might be able to figure out which printers would work. Even if the driver isn't listed doesn't mean it wont work, for example where I work we get HP officejet pro 8100 or 8210 printers since they are approved. We can't install the driver from the CD as we don't have onsite IT admins so we figured out we could use a 8000 series driver that happens to work and is locally on the machine for newer printers as well.

That's super helpful. I hadn't thought of that. I'll give that a go tomorrow and see if it works. Thanks Joe!

Ok maybe I am missing something here.....

If you can connect to a network and I presume you are using your home WiFI?

Cant you connect your printer to your router and run it as a printer server? As far as I know you dont need drivers for that?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/415/

I think if you set up a print server it should just work?

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/use-router-make-printer-wireless-printer-56526.html

I think depending on the router you might not need drivers.

But as others have stated you should really contact your superior. It is his problem also.

Edit:

Ok seems it is very difficult to set up a print job on a rooter a normal print server requires drivers on the client side. My bad.

But as suggested you could try installing generic drivers from the windows included list they should probably work if they are for a similar model.

Yeah, unfortunately, they also have the systems set up to only use the VPN. I cannot see anything of my home wifi network at all. And if I disconnect from the VPN, it's as if I'm not connected to a network at all.

Regards the drivers, this is something I am interested in. When I plugged it into my work pc for the first time, it simply came up and said "I cant use this, you need a driver" or something to that effect. Is there a way of forcing it to use the generic driver in an attempt to at least get some use out of it? Also, please bear in mind when answering this question that if any part of the answer is "open device manager" etc then there's almost 100% chance I will not be able to do it.

On 1/6/2021 at 4:57 PM, Neumann_Joe said:

Even if the driver isn't listed doesn't mean it wont work, for example where I work we get HP officejet pro 8100 or 8210 printers since they are approved

yeah at my home I have a HP deskjet and If I recall correctly the setup up was connect the printer to the network via WPS then download HP smart (only for scanning things) so the last part isn't necesarry for barebones printer and photocopying.

3 hours ago, RobV1306 said:

Yeah, unfortunately, they also have the systems set up to only use the VPN. I cannot see anything of my home wifi network at all. And if I disconnect from the VPN, it's as if I'm not connected to a network at all.

Regards the drivers, this is something I am interested in. When I plugged it into my work pc for the first time, it simply came up and said "I cant use this, you need a driver" or something to that effect. Is there a way of forcing it to use the generic driver in an attempt to at least get some use out of it? Also, please bear in mind when answering this question that if any part of the answer is "open device manager" etc then there's almost 100% chance I will not be able to do it.

Yea I have no clue how to do that without the device manager.

Maybe some one who knows scripting knows how to do that from command prompt? Harder to lock down and by the looks of it your IT department is not the brightest :D

Glad to see someone who has the same opinion on my IT department as I do.