My PC has an i3-9100 and when I open a single chrome tab, the CPU usage is at 100% across all cores, but sometimes it goes down again.

Nico P

On chrome's menu, More Tools, Task manager

Make a screenshot sorted by CPU usage

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

No, the power settings are on high performance and the settings all seem correct

20 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

On chrome's menu, More Tools, Task manager

Make a screenshot sorted by CPU usage

It  shows that the google tab is using the most CPU, also the issue is not just with browsers, it is with every open program

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

I'd simply re-install Windows at this point, given that it apparently happens with every single application. Because some applications are more taxing, but the load should almost immediately reduce and not stay that high that long. Also, by far not every application will even load the CPU to absolutely 100% just opening it up.

I've tried a Windows To Go Workspace now, and I am having the same problem, meaning there is something wrong with my hardware. Should I re-paste my CPU cooler?

The CPU is not going higher than 4 GHz, but if it is lower than 100% utilization, it goes higher than 4GHz, which is the opposite way which it is supposed to go.

CPUs will boost higher if not all cores are being utilised.

You've still not confirmed that you installed MalwareBytes and ran a scan. Running just a Defender scan is NOT enough.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

2 hours ago, DJ46 said:

CPUs will boost higher if not all cores are being utilised.

You've still not confirmed that you installed MalwareBytes and ran a scan. Running just a Defender scan is NOT enough.

I have done a malwarebytes scan and no issues have been displayed, therefore there are no viruses.

Also, all of my cores are selected to run in the BIOS

18 minutes ago, Nico P said:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37918122

It says the CPU is performing below expected performance.

Yes, yes it is doing trash.

But my primary concern is how thats a 9100 and not a 7700k??

Edit: I'm actually concerned because this is a prebuilt too considering the OEM SSD fitted, and you also mentioned it had a z390 board. So either something has went extremely wrong here or you have been scammed. Can you send a screenshot of task manager

Edit 2: I see you 'read specs wrong' so its fine.

Sorry, I must have read the wrong numbers from my pc's spec list.

Is there anything I can do to make it run better?

The issue I am facing is that it is happening intermittently, and sometimes it runs absolutely fine.

1 minute ago, Benji said:

Lol, that is NOT a 7700K, it's a Core i3-9100 apparently. Also your RAM is pretty saturated for running apparently nothing (5GB idle usage with ~20% CPU usage in the background). When you have nothing open and Windows isn't updating, the CPU load shouldn't exceed 5%, it's usually closer to 0%. Also, that benchmark is pretty useless because it is "sub-par" compared to every system ever tested, including apparently high-end desktop and server CPUs, so that CPU is most likely not underperforming given the maximum 4 GHz acutal clock speed, which poses the maximum for this chip.

See also the GPU score of the iGPU being "sub-par" when it is actually not, it is only sub-par compared to a modern discrete GPU. The CPU being declared as "very bad" when it is only slightly worse than others of that apparently same type (the highest average result being in the 80% ballpark while you're at ~72%...) is totally average.

@The Torrent That test is actually trash, so why request it?

Its just not trash. Your reading the data wrong.

It pits the cpu against other same cpu's. Yes this does include overclocked cpu's etc HOWEVER, this test is in my opinion, an amazing way to find out if there is a particular specific massive issue, such as if a cpu is running in the 1st percentile, then theres clearly your problem.

In this case, its 10th percentile, which yea sucks but its not a massive area for concern considering theres no graphics card which may effect heat when combined with the GPU test (which iirc it happens before the cpu one but i might be wrong i dont remember ill check in a second actually).

Regarding reading the data, for example the gpu it says subpar: ignore that and instead read the little writing (for some reason its not letting me upload a screenshot im not sure whats going), the writing which says its percentile compared to other same gpu's. Its 63rd so is doing absolutely fine.

7 minutes ago, Nico P said:

The issue I am facing is that it is happening intermittently, and sometimes it runs absolutely fine.

Try monitoring your cpu temps when it slows down. Also watch task manager and the clock frequency see if it drops or something. Ensure your not running out of ram or anything.

Overall, i at the moment have a feeling its a ram issue and think you have a lot of bloat running in the background, just a feeling. Go through your launch on startup list on task maanger and disable anything you dont recognise.

My CPU frequency goes down to 4.00GHz when it's at 100%, but it goes to about 4.1GHz when it's at about 50%.

Is it normal for a CPU to downclock when it's being pushed to 100%?

Yes. Power limit and boost will do that.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

why does this problem happen intermittently then, and sometimes work fine?

17 hours ago, The Torrent said:

Try monitoring your cpu temps when it slows down. Also watch task manager and the clock frequency see if it drops or something. Ensure your not running out of ram or anything.

Overall, i at the moment have a feeling its a ram issue and think you have a lot of bloat running in the background, just a feeling. Go through your launch on startup list on task maanger and disable anything you dont recognise.

Here's the task manager screenshot

Capture.PNG

Do a *full* malwarebytes check (should take several hours) post results here. 

Also you keep changing the story, once it's "programs" then it's "chrome", highly confusing... maybe make up your mind on when and where it happens that would probably be helpful to pinpoint the issue... it really sounds like crypto miner or something though... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

45 minutes ago, Nico P said:

Here's the task manager screenshot

Capture.PNG

You have some next sketchy dodgy add ons i reckon.

image.png.4375e34ba0f69957a1e9ebe309c6e64c.png

Send a picture of all the extensions you are using.

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Do a *full* malwarebytes check (should take several hours) post results here. 

Also you keep changing the story, once it's "programs" then it's "chrome", highly confusing... maybe make up your mind on when and where it happens that would probably be helpful to pinpoint the issue... it really sounds like crypto miner or something though... 

I have done a full malwarebytes check and it states that no threats were found

ALL programs are taking up all of my CPU when they are opened, and I am unable to use the PC while this happens.

1 hour ago, Nico P said:

I have done a full malwarebytes check and it states that no threats were found

ALL programs are taking up all of my CPU when they are opened, and I am unable to use the PC while this happens.

Ok that's curious, and obviously bad, but I'm running out of ideas here too tbh. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Time for a full reinstall I guess...

F@H

GPD Win 2