PC for gamer (begginer video editor)

Rondris
Go to solution Solved by GoldenLag,
2 hours ago, BHJohnson said:

Stick with EVGA, Seasonic, or Phanteks if you want to be safe on the PSU. Other brands can work, but those three all use the same OEM

except they dont share the same OEM much at all.........

Seasonic OEMs themselves except for some the OEM out to RSY. 

EVGA  OEMs out to Superflower, HEC, FSP, Andyson, Seasonic and more

Phantex sharing OEM with Seasonic as they OEM out to Seasonic. 

not that sharing OEM is all that indicative of quality........ nor is pointing at brand helpful in a purchasing decision

On 12/31/2020 at 6:59 PM, Rondris said:

I just would like to know if there is possibility for such PC within this price range and if yes what parts should i pick.

Gainward GeForce RTX 3060Ti Ghost 8GB GDDR6 (471056224-2270) w Morele.net
Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2 2280 SATA III (WDS500G2B0B) w Morele.net
Cooler Master MWE 600 Bronze V2 600W (MPE-6001-ACAAB-NL) w Morele.net
AMD Ryzen 3 3100, 3.6GHz, 16 MB, BOX (100-100000284BOX) w Morele.net
ASRock B450M PRO4-F w Morele.net
Team Group Vulcan Z, DDR4, 16 GB, 3200MHz, CL16 (TLZGD416G3200HC16CDC01) w Morele.net

something along the lines of this would be pretty decent. only thing missing is now is a case and this should come to a total of about 3970 zloty. 

Budget (including currency):  3500-4000 PLN

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: League of Legends, Witcher 3, Rainbow Six Siege, Apex Legends, Overwatch, Call of Duty: Warzone (and probably future titles)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc.): 1080p 122+Hz. I have nothing right now (besides Monitor, Mouse e.c.t just need a PC)

My little brother is having birthday soon and i wanted to buy him a PC, but since new CPUs, and GPUs came out i don't really know what is worth going for.

He is like every other kid playing games but he tend to go for video editing too since few weeks and i wanted to give him present that will help him in this as right now he is using old:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz

With 4GB ram and NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

I just would like to know if there is possibility for such PC within this price range and if yes what parts should i pick.

Yes rig probably gonna be upgraded in future so being possible to do so would be nice.

There is not a specific website i want to buy from in poland, but i know that mostly used are morele.net and x-kom.pl

Thanks for any help in advance!

Google says that's about 1000 USD, so I'm gonna trust that.

I wouldn't do any of the most recent stuff, even if you can get ahold of it. A build centered around a Ryzen 5 3600X and a used RX 580 or GTX 1060 will give him a massive boost in performance, and should be able to come in at around 1000$. Do a cheap B550 motherboard and you can put a Zen 3 CPU in later if he needs the added muscle. But RX 580's and GTX 1060's will game easily at 1080p 60 fps. They both have hardware encoding ability to help with his video editing, to make up for the somewhat weaker CPU than would normally be used.

Did you want a more specific part list, or is that enough to get you rolling in the right direction?

I agree, I use a Ryzen 5 3600 and it is a great budget CPU for gaming, streaming, and editing. The new Ryzen CPUs don't offer anything thats worth the extra money in my opinion. I am not an expert on GPU stuff but a GTX 1660ti or RTX 2060 might be a good choice for the build as well. If you want to future proof your rig I would make sure to get a B550 motherboard so you can upgrade to the 5000 series and later gen Ryzen CPUs in the future. If I were you I would listen to @BHJohnson's advice but heres my small input if it means anything XD

NOTE: I am a beginner in the whole PC building space but from my experiences and friends experiences I can recommend these items. @BHJohnson's advice is probably best to go by here, just trying to ease into this new hobby. I wish you and your little brother the best!

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA  MB: MSI B550-A PRO  Cooler: DeepCool AK620  Drives: Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, 970 EVO 1TB

7 hours ago, BHJohnson said:

Google says that's about 1000 USD, so I'm gonna trust that.

I wouldn't do any of the most recent stuff, even if you can get ahold of it. A build centered around a Ryzen 5 3600X and a used RX 580 or GTX 1060 will give him a massive boost in performance, and should be able to come in at around 1000$. Do a cheap B550 motherboard and you can put a Zen 3 CPU in later if he needs the added muscle. But RX 580's and GTX 1060's will game easily at 1080p 60 fps. They both have hardware encoding ability to help with his video editing, to make up for the somewhat weaker CPU than would normally be used.

Did you want a more specific part list, or is that enough to get you rolling in the right direction?

It would be wonderful if You would be able to make one. But if not i will try figuring out myself.

Thank You for Your time.

I'm about to leave for the gym, so I'm gonna leave this up and do this when I get back, lest I get sucked into the pit of PC building and lose track of time. But I will get to it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XMc86-cv9H9SzQ-zTQqs11mDnInQULtQPfrdUquJgGU/edit?usp=sharing

A few notes:

I used USD prices and converted to PLN. All of the prices are off Newegg so you should be able to find similar prices, except the GPU, because you are going to have to find one used. Make sure you get the 8GB version of the RX 580 or the 6 GB version of the 1060. The 580 also had a 4GB version, and the 1060 had a 3GB version. Both of those are terrible for video editing, make sure you get the full memory version. The 1060 has a stronger encoder on it, and is a stronger card overall, so go with that if you have the choice at similar prices. It's about 20% better at hardware encoding, about 5-10% stronger in gaming. Both are perfectly adequate to game at 60 FPS in 1080p while hardware encoding on the same system, also at 60 FPS.

You can cut a few bucks off the storage. He probably has a mechanical drive that can be salvaged for bulk storage, in which case you can go down to the 500 GB version of that 970 EVO.

Cases are super subjective, so I didn't include a recommendation. Find one that fits the budget. Or reuse the old one. The best case to use is the one you already have. Gamers Nexus does a lot of really good case reviews if you need some pointers.

The memory is a kit of Samsung b-die, 2x8GB. This should be fine to start off. You'll be able to run that XMP no problems on the Aorus motherboard. If you go cheaper, idk. I haven't played around with cheap motherboards and memory overclocking. I recommend sticking with 3600/CL16. Zen 2 chips like the 3600-3800 range, because it lets them run their fclock at 1800-1900, and keeps the 1:1 memory to infinity fabric speed ratio. CL16, because video encoding is VERY memory latency sensitive. To the point that on my Threadripper encoding bench, I got a better improvement OC'ing the memory to 3600/CL16 than I did going from 3.6 GHz all core to 4.0 GHz all core. Samsung B-die is the lowest latency memory IC you will get, and that kit is very reasonably priced for it. 16GB total will work for now, and you can always add a second kit later with the two open slots.

Side note about memory: Ignore anyone who tells you that you need to go 32GB right out the gate. There's two reasons to do that. The first is capacity, which won't be an issue unless he is doing fairly chonky projects, in which case he wants a beefier CPU anyways. The second is to run the memory in dual rank. This is different than dual channel. There's a lot of learning you can do on the matter if you want, and there is performance improvement in running dual rank vs single rank memory based on memory topology. Just know 2 sticks of 8GB is fine for now, and saves you a lot of money. Add two sticks later if he's hitting memory bottlenecks based on project size. Don't worry about dual vs single rank. Pretty much ever. That's a buzz word that some of the memory elitists recently learned from GN and Buildzoid.

Other places you technically can cut some cost but that I wouldn't if you have an eye towards upgrading:

-Motherboard. That board was chosen to support a 8 or 12 core CPU with no issues. It's a true 12+2 phase VRM, and is hands down the best power delivery available at the price, and has "good enough" features for a daily driver. You can save yourself 20-40$ if you go with a cheaper B550. All B550's will drive a 3600 with no issues. Not all B550's will drive a 3900X or a 5900X. Most will drive a 3800X or 5800X. Honestly, to me it's not worth the cost you save if you are planning to upgrade and have to buy a new motherboard later.

-Power supply. EVGA G+ series is solid. 750W is over kill for this build. You could do 500W and be fine. But, again, eye towards upgrading, a good gold certified 750W PSU will run a 3070 no sweat, and will handle a stock clocked 3080. Stick with EVGA, Seasonic, or Phanteks if you want to be safe on the PSU. Other brands can work, but those three all use the same OEM, it's good, and they have a good spread of SKU's to fit whatever budget you want. Don't go less than 500W.

Oh, 3600 vs 3600X. A 3600 is physically identical to a 3600X, it's just slightly lower binned. You can use a 3600 and easily go into BIOS, type in all the CCX values for base and boost frequencies to match the 3600X, and you will basically have a 3600X. The stock cooler will suffice for that.

GTX 1660 or a RTX 2060 or a RX 5600 XT are all good GPU's, but unfortunately are way overpriced right now. They aren't worth the 300-400$ price tag they are currently moving at. I bought my 5700XT in February for that much. RX 580's and GTX 1060's are also somewhat inflated, but not as bad, and are good enough for use until the market stabilizes.

6 minutes ago, BHJohnson said:

just converting prices from american to any other country doesn't actually work. prices will change more than the conversion rate when comparing between different regions.

8 minutes ago, BHJohnson said:

Stick with EVGA, Seasonic, or Phanteks if you want to be safe on the PSU. Other brands can work, but those three all use the same OEM, it's good, and they have a good spread of SKU's to fit whatever budget you want. Don't go less than 500W.

both EVGA and Seasonic has their own share of crap power supplies, EVGA especially so. Same with almost every single company that has sold PSUs before.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 hours ago, BHJohnson said:

Stick with EVGA, Seasonic, or Phanteks if you want to be safe on the PSU. Other brands can work, but those three all use the same OEM

except they dont share the same OEM much at all.........

Seasonic OEMs themselves except for some the OEM out to RSY. 

EVGA  OEMs out to Superflower, HEC, FSP, Andyson, Seasonic and more

Phantex sharing OEM with Seasonic as they OEM out to Seasonic. 

not that sharing OEM is all that indicative of quality........ nor is pointing at brand helpful in a purchasing decision

On 12/31/2020 at 6:59 PM, Rondris said:

Gainward GeForce RTX 3060Ti Ghost 8GB GDDR6 (471056224-2270) w Morele.net
Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2 2280 SATA III (WDS500G2B0B) w Morele.net
Cooler Master MWE 600 Bronze V2 600W (MPE-6001-ACAAB-NL) w Morele.net
AMD Ryzen 3 3100, 3.6GHz, 16 MB, BOX (100-100000284BOX) w Morele.net
ASRock B450M PRO4-F w Morele.net
Team Group Vulcan Z, DDR4, 16 GB, 3200MHz, CL16 (TLZGD416G3200HC16CDC01) w Morele.net

something along the lines of this would be pretty decent. only thing missing is now is a case and this should come to a total of about 3970 zloty. 

If the 3060Ti is in stock, then sure, that's not a bad setup. But you are removing some upgrade headroom and seriously cutting the video editing potential. Also, you won't notice the difference in GPU unless you are gaming at 1440p. You will notice going from 6 to 4 cores in video editing. You'll also notice the budget RAM. You're adding about 10% to your encode times with 3200/CL16 RAM, and that is also assuming your RAM posts at 3200/CL16. 3200 16-18-18-38 is a garbage bin speed/timings that they use to get rid of whatever memory IC's are available. I have a kit of 3200/CL16 that won't post on XMP on any of my boards. I have to go in and set the speed and timings manually, then train it to get it to run at those speeds.

If gaming is the primary focus, yes, that's a very solid build. A Ryzen 3 3100 will game at 100+ fps. A 3060Ti will do 60+ fps at 1440p. However, I wouldn't trust that motherboard running anything heavier than a 3600, maybe a 3700X with good airflow in the case and only after I benchmarked the thermals on it, and definitely not a 3900X. So the upgrade path is pretty much gone. However, your build list will give better gaming performance on day one, so if that's the focus, then go for that.

Also, are 3060Ti's in stock in Poland? Cause they are still out of stock as hell here in the States.

29 minutes ago, BHJohnson said:

I have a kit of 3200/CL16 that won't post on XMP on any of my boards

then RMA it or update the bios untill it posts......... a sample size of 1 does not qutomatically mean these cheap bins are bad. 

30 minutes ago, BHJohnson said:

You're adding about 10% to your encode times with 3200/CL16 RAM, and that is also assuming your RAM posts at 3200/CL16. 3200 16-18-18-38 is a garbage bin speed/timings that they use to get rid of whatever memory IC's are available.

and we are working with a limited budget here, and there is no reason to spend a notable ammount extra for specific ICs. especially since there is no indication that the person will be tuning the memmory. so ive got not clue why you are talking about specific memmory ICs. especially ones that cost notably extra. 

31 minutes ago, BHJohnson said:

However, I wouldn't trust that motherboard running anything heavier than a 3600, maybe a 3700X with good airflow in the case and only after I benchmarked the thermals on it, and definitely not a 3900X.

it can run a 5950x just fine with an aircooler. its a perfectly fine motherboard. If you dont know the VRM capabilities of a board, then at least look into it. 

33 minutes ago, BHJohnson said:

But you are removing some upgrade headroom and seriously cutting the video editing potential

its a perfectly good build for hobbyist video editing. you dont need a very expencive CPU to do decent video editing.........

you seem to want to spend a lot extra on things that dont really have a major impact.......... and with the budget given, i dont see a reason to spend money on those things. 

I am grateful for all the responses you gave me. I will consider all your advices.