Which wallet to buy?

MS-DOS

Im looking for a wallet where I can carry my ID, driving license and a decent amount of debit cards, like 4 would do, but the cards must be easy to remove, because the one I have now are too tight, and when I try to remove a card im paranoid I will bend it too much and break the plastic.

I like the system where you click and the cards pop out and are loose enough leaving a gap between cards so you pick the card you want. I think the famous Ridge wallet has this however I don't like the incredibly stupid idea of showing around how much cash you are holding (pic related)

The-Ridge-Wallet-Hands-On-Deceptively-Di

So I can get something like this buy with a classic pocket for cash and some coins?

Ridge Wallet is horribly overpriced for what it is.

If you like that style, or one where the cards pop up, check out SECRID. They're considerably more reasonable, and have versions with a leather cover that you can store cash in without flashing it. I've had the basic SECRID for 4 years and it still works flawlessly, I'll probably buy another one in a few months just to have a different color. I also got a stick on card holder for the outside for a most used card or transit pass if I'm traveling.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Ridge wallet sucks. Money clips are dumb, cause you always end up with a bunch of coins that you'll have to put in your pocket anyway and it's way too hard to remove and add cards and then they want how much for it? 50 bucks or whatever it is? lol, no thanks.

I have basically one of those.

You flip the switch at the bottom (mine looks different, so I can use my pinky finger) and the cards present themselves to you. Fits about 7 cards. And technically you can simply fold up cash and put that in there aswell.

image.png.1c770d34e19c0ea3777bae14a2907bb7.png

Ridge

Not because they sponsor LTT, but because I own one (since before they sponsored LTT content). They are a bit pricey, but well worth it. I have 12 cards in mine, plus some cash, and it stays very low profile. The big thing for me, is that it's RFID blocking. I have a credit card with NFC and that shit scares me. But I tested it at a few different checkout locations, and none could detect my card inside the Ridge wallet.

Another pretty neat thing is they include a screw driver to take it apart if need be. So if you need to replace your RFID plates (for whatever reason) you can. Same goes for the eleastic banding. You can also change out the money strap to a clip, or vice versa, if you so choose down the line. I've had mine for a few years now, and it gets the shit beat out of it. It's got some scratches on the paint, but I don't care. It still functions and works like I need.

The big selling point for these wallets is to reduce the bulk in your pocket. I used to daily a massive bi fold wallet. It was real leather, kinda expensive, and a really nice gift from my loving grandparents. They gave it to me when I was about 5 years old. I used it my whole life. I love that thing (still have it). But over the years, having a ton of cards, papers, receipts, and even spare keys, it became very stretched out. I wanted to remove all the old useless stuff I had in it, so I did. But because it was so stretched out, all the stuff I actually needed would just fall out. That's when I bit the bullet and just bought a Ridge. I payed 65 USD after shipping and tax. But it has reduced the size of my pockets that I now can carry my keys and wallet in the same pocket, without a massive and uncomfortable bulge. I also would not go with the knockoff brands either, I've read about how they just don't hold up for very long.

I know I sound like a salesperson for Ridge, and I'm sorry. But I'm just giving out all the relative info I know about them. I'm glad for my Ridge wallet mostly because of one big thing - hoarding. Because I had this wallet, I stopped carrying receipts and old used up cards anymore. It helped me clean up my pockets, which then motivated me to clean my house. It's still messy, but I no longer would qualify for that hoarding show on TLC.

I see the hate for Ridge and I can understand. I don't personally carry cash anymore because I can't be arsed to. But I can agree, they are indeed expensive. But I personally feel like I got what I paid for, and I'm happy with that.

Ridge wallet starts at $75 and is useless

SECRID wasn't any better, even though they have some leather variants, but I don't want leather

Currently using a $5 from Ebay, that has better functionality than both Ridge and Secrid

3 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Ridge wallet sucks. Money clips are dumb, cause you always end up with a bunch of coins that you'll have to put in your pocket anyway and it's way too hard to remove and add cards and then they want how much for it? 50 bucks or whatever it is? lol, no thanks.

I have basically one of those.

You flip the switch at the bottom (mine looks different, so I can use my pinky finger) and the cards present themselves to you. Fits about 7 cards. And technically you can simply fold up cash and put that in there aswell.

Cash really wouldn't play nicely with that mechanism. Not something I'd recommend.

2 hours ago, Dubious said:

Ridge wallet starts at $75 and is useless

SECRID wasn't any better, even though they have some leather variants, but I don't want leather

Currently using a $5 from Ebay, that has better functionality than both Ridge and Secrid

I highly doubt that. The SECRID has excellent functionality; that's why it's won awards. It's also significantly better, it's around if not less than 1/3 the price of the Ridge.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

Ridge Wallet is horribly overpriced for what it is.

If you like that style, or one where the cards pop up, check out SECRID. They're considerably more reasonable, and have versions with a leather cover that you can store cash in without flashing it. I've had the basic SECRID for 4 years and it still works flawlessly, I'll probably buy another one in a few months just to have a different color. I also got a stick on card holder for the outside for a most used card or transit pass if I'm traveling.

well it's 50€ acording to this:

https://secrid.com/shop/all/

also not sure about the cards popping out mechanism now that i notice the button sticking out at the bottom.. what if accidentally it slides and cards fall out?

I am using a ridge wallet (the aluminum cheapest variant), have like 10 cards in it and some cash and so far its great, a bit pricey but much better than what I used to carry 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-f Gaming
RAM: Adata XPG DDR4 D60G 64GB (16*4) 3600MHZ RAM 
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1000
Mon: Philips 346B
GPU: Asus Turbo Series RTX 3080

Sound: Bose 700 Headphones 
Case: Asus TUF GT501
Storage: 2x Samsung Evo 980 Pro 2TB (Each, total of 4TB) in RAID 0
Cooling: Asus ROG LC 240mm and a bunch of Noctua fans

I just got a regular one at a store for like $10 bucks. They last about 10 years before becoming useless. 

My current one is fallout. Just a leather wallet with an ID section, hidden pockets, cash slot and credit/business card slots. 

6 hours ago, MS-DOS said:

well it's 50€ acording to this:

https://secrid.com/shop/all/

also not sure about the cards popping out mechanism now that i notice the button sticking out at the bottom.. what if accidentally it slides and cards fall out?

It won't. You have to pull down and to the side. The mechanism isn't the same as the one @Senzelian showed. There's also a felt material in the channels of the wallet, so cards can't move on their own. Just to test it, I shook it pretty hard, and none of the cards budged at all. It's 50 if you have to have the leather one, yes. It's 24 if you can live with just the card holder. I've always just carried cash in my pocket along with it, I don't see a reason to have it wrapped around the card holder.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

Cash really wouldn't play nicely with that mechanism.

Works just fine with mine.

I too liked the idea of the wallets that pop out the cards. But my hangup with those was that you can't really put cash in most of them, and I didn't want all my cards grouped together every time I wanted to pay or show my ID.

I went with this one and it fits my purposes nicely. They showcase 5 cards + ID, and I'd call that fair. Adding 2+ additional cards and some cash will make it pretty tight, but I didn't spend time really working in the material. It's not tight enough that it's uncomfortable, and if you keep it to 3-4 cards, ID, and cash, it's more than adequate. Right now, I have 4 payment cards, ID, first aid card, couple bills, and just added two gift cards to the middle and it's still fine, if a bit tight.