Is transistor are important or speed?

Go to solution Solved by tikker,

The transistors are the basic components that form the building blocks of the CPU. They control the flow of electricity and can be used to form logic gates (AND, OR, XOR that kind of stuff) or memory cells, for example. These can then become bigger structures inside the CPU for computation, communication with other things etc.

7 hours ago, Aryan10 said:

So where does show it’s performance in increase in no. Of transistors 

I'm not sure what you mean with this. More transistors means more or bigger of those structures can be made and thus in principle more operations can be done each clock cycle. You just can't say a factor X more transistors will yield Y% more performance, because that depends on other things such as the clock speed and overall design as well.

Hey,

I wanna know that, suppose if we have a 10 billion transistors in a processor.....and we have  speed of    5 GHz on 10 cores.....so what does transistors matter in this.if we would have 5 billion, the also we would have same speed and cores on a pro censor 

14nm design processor or 7nm does it matter on these

if there is a video or forum, blog already on this please tell me......

Just look for benchmarks for your specific games or application. Transistor count, speed, IPC, number of cores all matter and it's difficult to compare cpus based on the spec sheet only 

20 minutes ago, Aryan10 said:

Hey,

I wanna know that, suppose if we have a 10 billion transistors in a processor.....and we have  speed of    5 GHz on 10 cores.....so what does transistors matter in this.if we would have 5 billion, the also we would have same speed and cores on a pro censor 

14nm design processor or 7nm does it matter on these

if there is a video or forum, blog already on this please tell me......

See e.g. https://www.howtogeek.com/394267/what-do-7nm-and-10nm-mean-and-why-do-they-matter/. As far as I understand the whole picture14nm, 7nm etc. are the "process node" and indicates roughly how small we can make the transistors. A smaller process node means more transistors in the same area and I think power efficiency improvements in general. More transistors means more things can happen in parallel which means higher speeds in the end.

In the end the "5 GHz", as I view it, is how often per second the CPU can do something (e.g. change a 0 to a 1), which can be reflected with for example the IPC (instructions per cycle). 10 billion transistors at 5 GHz can theoretically do more than 5 billion at 5 GHz. This is why CPU speed on its own doesn't really mean anything as, for a simple example, a 1 GHz processor at 0.5 IPC does the same amount of things as a 500 MHz processor at 1 IPC.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

19 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

this is a 3 part video, explaining basically many of your questions

tl;dr,, doesnt matter

just look at results (meaning, benchmarks)

Well that last video sure was enlightening. I wasn't so up to date to realize there was such a huge disconnect between the process name and feature size nowadays.

6 minutes ago, Aryan10 said:

I did’t got any benchmarks.

Their points are that unless you are comparing the exact same CPU with a version of itself (or maybe even then) with less transistors, a single number is meaningless. You can't say one CPU is better just because it has higher clocks or more transistors.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

So what does matter now, more transistor count like amd(7nm)or intel (14nm) which are with good with performance.

what marks a cpu speed?

7 minutes ago, tikker said:

Well that last video sure was enlightening. I wasn't so up to date to realize there was such a huge disconnect between the process name and feature size nowadays.

Their points are that unless you are comparing the exact same CPU with a version of itself (or maybe even then) with less transistors, a single number is meaningless. You can't say one CPU is better just because it has higher clocks or more transistors.

Bro I got your point.

I am asking that how to clock matter in reference to its transistors

Neither.  You can't tell performance based on transistor count or speed.   Companies talk about them to sound impressive. 

The speed of a CPU is the internal design.  For each clock how much does it do?  How do you use the transistors, do you have a lot of them on the part supporting feasutures that are not used much? 

The only true way to tell which is faster is look at benchmarks.  There is no better between transistor count or speed.  You can't tell by comparing them  and there is no set  ratio, like 1 billion transistors is worth 500mhz.  It doesn't exist and each chip is different in design. 

3 minutes ago, Aryan10 said:

Bro I got your point.

I am asking that how to clock matter in reference to its transistors

I touched on that:

18 minutes ago, tikker said:

More transistors means more things can happen in parallel which means higher speeds in the end.

In the end the "5 GHz", as I view it, is how often per second the CPU can do something (e.g. change a 0 to a 1), which can be reflected with for example the IPC (instructions per cycle).

More transistors = more can happen per cycle

Higher clock = more cycles per second

A CPU is a complex beast in the end, so double the number of transistors doesn't necessarily have to mean double the performance, but it should allow for an increase in performance.

24 minutes ago, Aryan10 said:

So what does matter now, more transistor count like amd(7nm)or intel (14nm) which are with good with performance.

what marks a cpu speed?

just to clarify the 14nm and 7nm are just names they don represent anything 

intel can name their process node blueberry cheesecake (i know) and amd can name theirs strawberry pie and they are just as valid as 14 or 7 nm

and transistor count matter as long as the chip you are comparing

A have the same instruction sets

B are same architecture

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

11 hours ago, tikker said:

I touched on that:

More transistors = more can happen per cycle

Higher clock = more cycles per second

A CPU is a complex beast in the end, so double the number of transistors doesn't necessarily have to mean double the performance, but it should allow for an increase in performance.

The transistors are the basic components that form the building blocks of the CPU. They control the flow of electricity and can be used to form logic gates (AND, OR, XOR that kind of stuff) or memory cells, for example. These can then become bigger structures inside the CPU for computation, communication with other things etc.

7 hours ago, Aryan10 said:

I'm not sure what you mean with this. More transistors means more or bigger of those structures can be made and thus in principle more operations can be done each clock cycle. You just can't say a factor X more transistors will yield Y% more performance, because that depends on other things such as the clock speed and overall design as well.