High quality display.

orangecat

So I have been spoiled by an iPad when I first say the display I had never seen a display so bright, clear and sharp in my life the white was pure white it looked so good then i found out about Adobe RGB and that the iPad's display covers 98% of it. This makes the colours look very natural and wonderful but then i looked at my LG Flatron W2253V and I was horrified. the colour was nowhere near the same a solid white image looked almost orange compared to the iPad. So what i'm asking is there a monitor that will be very close to the iPad in terms of colour? i know you won't be able to find a Retina display for PC anytime soon but I mostly want the colour.

PS: If all possible 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 and 22-27 inches

Edit: Must be a matte or glass display no plastic glossy. :mad:

Tablets and smartphones have wrong colours reproduction due to glossy panel and to non-calibrated screen. Just buy an IPS or PLS panel for best colour experience.

• MB MSI Z77A-GD65

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K + Corsair H60 + 2x Alpenfohn Wing Boost

RAM Corsair Dominator 16 GB

GPU MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II / OC

SC Asus Xonar D2X

SSD Corsair Force GT 120 GB

HDD WD Black 1 TB + Blue 1 TB + Green 500 GB

PSU Corsair HX650

Case NZXT Phantom 820 Black

Rheobus NZXT Sentry LXE

Monitor: 3x LG IPS231P + Philips 298P4Q

Hi-Fi Onkyo HT-S3305

OS Windows 8.1 Pro

There are many factors in the iPad display that make is "clear and sharp" but Metallurgico is right, the ipad colors may be bright and "vibrant" but not necessarily accurate. The main reason the ipad looks great is the pixel density, something that is more difficult to replicate/manufacture on larger displays (cross your fingers for 4K). I'd recommend a 27" 2560x1440 monitor for clarity and good IPS/PLS colors. With more pixels and larger screen size, it's similar to the "retina" displays. To elaborate, even though the pixel densities aren't much different between a 21.5" 1080p display and a 27" 1440p display, the difference is definitely noticeable, partly because you will naturally sit farther away from the 27" monitor, thus producing that "retina"-like clarity.

Kilobytez95, what you experience is the advantages of IPS panels.

-> 178 degree view angles in ALL directions, including diagonals

-> sharper image

-> better colors (in the case of computer desktop monitor, except for eIPS panels, they are TRUE 8-bit panels, and not 6-bit panel like TN panels (and eIPS panels))

-> Also, as they are not aimed at the budget consumer market, you can expect: high build quality, and cool features like color processors to help produce much better colors, and well better colors).

As for the colors on the iPad.. they actually sucks. LOL!

Ok they are not terrible per say.. they are just OK. The colors are over saturated, there is no color processor for some colors are off, no Look Up Table assistant the color processor (they usually go together), and uses white LED backlight, which isn't true white... but rather cold white. While Apple and most tablet manufactures do use high-grade LED backlight to have a less of a cold white and more of a proper white it's still off. High grade CCFLs will give you a fantastic white. This is important, as all your other colors will be tinted of the color of the back light. So a cold white (light blue) will make every other color have too much blue in them. Now you might not see it, as you haven't seen better, but any professional, or any one with a high end consumer grade monitor, will be able to notice.

My recommendation: Dell U2711. There is the new U2713HM, but I am waiting for reviews)

The U2711 beats Apple best offering, including build quality, and largelly features. It is also non glossy, so that you can focus on your work instead of looking at your self and your room being reflected. It is to be noted, that if you are note used to non glossy monitor, there will be a period of adjustment, and distance and monitor brightness is critical. If those those are way off you'll see a "grain effect" that some people talk about (usually they have a very poor setup, where they are too close to the monitor, and the monitor brightness is set way to high. I found a few people that complain about it, and when they showed a picture of their desk, convincd that they are far enough, they have a lazou desk, where it's so short that the keyboard barely fits with the monitor... ha..) Anyway, the general rule, is that you want to be AT LEAST 1 arm length away of the monitor). Once pass that and have proper setup, you start enjoying the monitor.

The monitor also comes with 2 pre color calibrated, with report, Adobe RGB and sRGB color profiles. Just install the monitor, turn on, go on the monitor menu, and pick which color profile you prefer the best, and adjust brightness to not burn you eyes out (its freaking bright CFL backlight monitors. I have mine at 0%, and I sometimes still find it too bright at night with my light closed :) ) Oh the monitor has a true 8-bit panel, its an H-IPS panel from LG. NOTE, he suggested monitor is NOT FOR PROFESSIONAL who requires pin point color accuracy. The monitor is still not good enougth for them in terms of technology, and also the out of teh box calibration profiles are useless... as not only its not the best one (due to the monitor natural limitation), and also, normal wear of the panel will naturally decalibrate the calibration over time. Again.. not good enough for professional in the field that require pin point color accuracy. This is just a high-end consumer grade monitor. That is why professional grade monitors are extremely expensive.

The Dell U2711 has a thick anti-glare layer which gives a noticeable and annoying "screen-door" effect, especially on white images such as this forum. It's very annoying and a known issue, which is why Dell's new U2713HM and similar models have a different anti-glare layer. I own the U2713HM and can attest to this difference. The U2713HM doesn't have the color reproduction of the U2711 but for my uses its colors and image quality are awesome. The new U2713H is Dell's best monitor 27" for color reproduction, albeit at $200 more.

"Screen-door" effect is a HIGHLY exaggerated claim. I have the U2410 (same as U2711, just lower resolution), and I have to set my monitor at max brightness, and look really up close, on white to see the film. I have my laptop with a much smoother anti-glare film, and I cannot see the difference from normal position. People exagerate like no tomorrow.